1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WB165 Reliability Issues???

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by JRod4928, Aug 12, 2013.

1. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    I'm considering going this route on a WR125. My only concern is the reliability of the top end and on the clutch/transmission since they will see loads that are greater than what they were designed for.

Anyone have any thoughts?
  2. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I've got 100hrs on my CR without so much as removing the clutch cover. I initially put 40hrs on the stock 124cc setup then 21hrs on a OEM 144 kit and lastly, 35 hrs on a high-strung 165 top end. I usually ride woods, but also take the bike out to the dez and moto track, so it has seen its fair share of high RPM use. The motor has been stone reliable for me.
  3. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    What do you use your bike for, and how much do you weigh? Is the 165 worth it for you as opposed to the 144?
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    - For full disclosure i sell this kit built by Walt.

I have pounded the shit out of 2 165 kits and a third as still taking a pounding as I sold it to a friend. There were a few with some plating issues but most have been SUPER reliable. I had a bunch of miles and time on my current one and was going to refresh it bfore a 240 2 day ISDE qualifier but as it ran great and had good compression i just ran it. Ran it hard and zero issues.
  5. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    How well does the transmission hold up to the abuse?

Do you refrain from porting the kits due to additional cost, or have you found that porting just isnt necessary on these kits?

And do they feel like a monster 125 with the same 'style' of power delivery? Or does the 165 have it's own power characteristics?
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No trans or clutch issues. No rod or crank issues. These are robust motors. Like a beefed up 125 but way more bottom and slightly less top. Would say it is it's own animal but still has 125 feel.
  7. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Over 300 hours total on my 09 wr125.

The last 120 hours are with the 165 kit installed. ZERO issues. Bottom end has never been touched and it still runs like a champ. The reliability on these kits are as good or better than the factory 125/144 kits.
    jmetteer and steadydirt like this.
  8. AWM Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR150
    Other Motorcycles:
    Orange

In one word,,"Perfect".:thumbsup:
  9. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    I also went 94 hours before I changed the ring on my 165. Not recommended, but everything looked perfect.
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Watch a few of my videos of my National #1 Hare and Hound ,Desert Races,King of the Moto,Last Dog Standing,2 Stroke Nationals motocross, Big 6 GPs,A few Desert Night Races on my 165 Done everything from first gear tight to 6 gear pinned From below sea level to up around 8,000 feet coldest temp was 24 highest 110 never a problem
    My Trans is 6 years old ,the crank went over 4 years then I figured I better replace the bearings
    Clutch will last 4 years I never count hours for my 165 it is years and thousands of miles
    lankydoug, steadydirt and sabortooth like this.
  11. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Where you at Kevin?
  12. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    I've got to ride one of the WBs'. I guess I need a second rig.
    Motosportz likes this.
  13. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had a coolant leak develop in my head o-rings at 30 hours. Walt resurfaced my head and sent me a new ring, base gasket, and new head o-rings at no charge. I'm now at 36 hours after the re-ring with no troubles. 66 hours total on the cylinder and piston.

So much power! :)