we did this strange ride on saturday

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by robertaccio, Jan 27, 2015.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    we did it the other direction from bottom dez to top (a lot more to that statement more of a long loop from top camp to N to east to bottom dez to south for a bunch of miles to west up onto tracks all the way to top for fuel then west then N back to camp ) . 5 of us. bitchen bizarre loop ride.dont want to say too much. there is some h cam as well. those trestles are waaaay up there and those tunnels are waaaay dark!!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23733168
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Some of those pics show why I'm a dirt bike rider and not an adventure person ... Even though we all like an adventure from time to time ...

I'd say be careful out there :)
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Haha. That nekkid dude gets around.:rolleyes: I remember a few years back when Spaugh posted a picture of him that he took when some of the SDAR gang were out trail riding Jacumba.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    My english must be getting bad DD or you are inventing new words?
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    What, you don't like "nekkid"?:p
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Just a new word for me... Your invention? Does it apply only to that specific nekkid or all nekkids you come across?
    bigjon likes this.
  7. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Anybody without clothing can qualify.
    bigjon likes this.
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You're the boss 4 sure ....
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    You been outta Dixie for too long son. That paradise air has washed the southern right outta ya.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    thats really cool. Well except for the nekkid guy.
    robertaccio likes this.
  11. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    Going thru one of those tunnels, it's so long and curved that you lose light for a bit. (last time I rode this was the early eighties). You had to put your foot on one of the tracks of the railroad to "feel" your way thru......
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Headlight...
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Reading through the thread, there was a mention of the line being refurbished and used for frieght to Tijuana. Guess the time is short to go enjoy it.
  14. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    By "freight" do you mean drugs and border crossers?
  15. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ha :) it appears it's for other goods, but freight is freight I suppose.
  16. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Was that yours or one of your buddies ride reports?
  17. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    none of the above, we rode it from bottom to top, we are not internet reporters so we just rode our loop, which included this portion.
    This is a ADV report from another group (I have no idea who these guys are) who rode from top to bottom and took fotos etc. to show where and what we did. We never gave any thought to riding any of the trestles or tunnels we just did it, people are hiking and MTB guys are doing it as well.
    Side note its funny how everyone wants to claim first on endeavors, these guys kind of do that.....I know guys who did this track ride way before this was posted (1990s).
  18. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Huell Howser did a show on this rail line in the 90s. He took his best camera guy, Luis and some ex railroad employees in a 1932 model Arailbus down the line to the trestle. When I looked further in the ADV rider thread and saw the ballast car with a RIP Huell Howser tribute, it sparked a memory that perhaps I'd seen this somewhere before. My friends at work quickly set me straight. If you wanna get it, his shows are easy to purchase, just Google this:

California's Gold #1006 Trestle

Or check local public TV schedules in California and see if you can watch it free. We run it at least once or twice a year on KCET, and his show is still very popular on many PBS stations as if he never died.
  19. rwgregory Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1985 500XC, 1987 510TX, 1990 510WMX
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Honda CR250,'88 CR500,'92 XR600
    OK, I'm showing my age here, but I rode those tracks and tunnels on my 1979 Honda CR250 when it was a CURRENT MODEL bike and I am convinced that when my riding buddies and I did it that day we were not the first dirt bikers to ever do it...
    robertaccio likes this.
  20. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Really cool ride for sure Robert, sure looks like fun!:thumbsup:
    And,
    this is off topic but that ride reminded me of a friend of mine who was/is a famous engine builder/drag racer that went to the Winter Nationals many times.
    Anyway, a rail line that was seldom used and then eventually abandoned ran right through the farm he had lived on his whole life and through the Coast Range Mountains to the town of Tillamook OR through numerous tunnels.
    He lives at a gateway to the Tillamook Burn (experimented with 4stroke Lectrons in the 70s) so naturally rides off road bikes too but decided to build a steel wheeled, side by side "go kart" powered with a Honda 750 4cyl to explore the railroad line without having to ride over all those ties and at blurring speed.

From where he lives it takes about an hour to drive the highway but he and his passenger could be in Tillamook at the deli having lunch in less than half (depending on conditions) the time which usually drew a crowd for these "special railroad inspectors".
    Since the line received no maintenance, downed trees, boulders, slides, washouts etc (not to mention Roosevelt Elk) were always a hazard especially when going +- triple digits.
    I had a standing invitation to take a ride but had been advised that those that did only did it once. Think dark dripping tunnels at 80+MPH. I always thought I would like to though but waited too long to get my courage up to totally have the sh!t sacred out of me.

The last time I stopped by the shop I saw pictures of his last ride and how the ballast had been washed out from under the track in places leaving 2-6 feet of air under it for hundreds of feet.

robertaccio likes this.