Well, It Ain't Baja, And It Ain't Dakar...

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by WoodsChick, Jan 31, 2010.

1. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Well, it ain't Baja, and it ain't Dakar...but there was some sand riding involved:)

Eric and I spent a few days riding out of Eureka over the New Year's weekend. We stayed in a really nice hotel that had one of these in the room...

[IMG]

And it had a great view of Humboldt Bay off the balcony...

[IMG]

It's a wonder we ever managed to leave the room :)

Anyway, we had a great time cruising around the north coast. This sand track was a total blast, even though we were both on street tires...

[IMG]

You can see my footprints where I was dabbing to stay upright...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Oops...the sand was kinda soft...

[IMG]

We rode the Big Foot Highway through the Hoopa Indian Reservation and crossed the Klamath River in the tiny townlet of Weitchpec...

[IMG]

We turned off the highway and headed northwest on some super-tasty SM-grade pavement that followed the Klamath River for a few miles. We found ourselves climbing up a ridge on a decent dirt road. It was really misty and wet, and we were doing some pretty good slippin' and slidin' in the dirt. Didn't take too many photos of this section as it was pretty wet (and cold) and I didn't want my funky little camera getting any funkier than it already is.

We emerged from the heavy fog and found ourselves at the eastern border of Redwood National Park. Can my Husky be considered a loaded weapon?

[IMG]

[IMG]

Looking back at the ridge we had just ridden...

[IMG]

Came across a herd of elk. I whipped out my binoculars (I'm a bird nerd and never leave home without them) and counted 50 of `em...

[IMG]

Um, if this is Redwood National Park then where are all the redwoods?

[IMG]

We rode through some great redwoods and dropped south on the coast. We made it back to town in time to hit the local grocery store for fresh crab and french bread for dinner...yum!

My Husky 610 looks like a TTR125 next to Eric's behemoth KTM LC4 640e...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

We hit another rideable beach on the way home but we were in the van all loaded up so no riding...

[IMG]

The driftwood is huge in this area...

[IMG]

Well, that's all, folks. We had such a great time we're going back for Valentine's Day...only this time we'll be on knobbies :D

WoodsChick
  2. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Another cool adventure story. Thx Woodsie.:thumbsup:
    Was it very cold or did you guys hit any rain. Those tires look a lot better then your other ones you had on your 610. Maybe just not as good in the sand.
    The picture of your bike laying on its side. :lol::lol: I can hear you now "Oh Eric stand beside my bike I want to get a picture of it for C/H...
    Ok Thx.. Oh would you be a dear and pick it up for me while your there.":D

Just fun'n with ya. Sure wish we could join you guys

Any more pics?

:cheers:
  3. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

WoodsChick
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Glad you didn't come across any of their tumbleweeds.:eek:
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    In your capable hands? Yes! :thumbsup:

Looks like another nice trip you had :)

Even your bikes looked like a cute couple.

:cheers:
  6. jfoulkrod Husqvarna
    AA Class

I always enjoy your pictorial essays !! Hopefully one day my group will make it out west. Anyway, keep the travelogue coming. Regards, John
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Good stuff. BTW the redwoods are further west :D
  8. Stroker Ace Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Chick .... Great report.... Great pics..... Nice little change of pace. The Hotel????? My kind of camping!!! Thanks for sharing...
  9. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

Cool report Woodschick.. I had no idea there was that kinda riding around there by the few times I drove through Eureka. I'm almost as surprised that you didn't immediately use the "glove trick" when you stopped on the sand.. But I guess the beautiful beach and waves distracted you for a minute.. :D happy riding.. :)
  10. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I know! Crazy, huh? It was a huge redwood. The grain inside it was still beautiful. Should have taken a photo of it...

Awww...how cute :p

Yeah, it was a nice trip. Something a little different for us, for sure.

Thanks, Mr. Smarta$$ :lol: I have a feeling you and I would get along great :D

Hey, Mr. Ace! Change of pace is right. Can't remember the last time we stayed in a hotel other than our Pleasure Palace van:lol: Oh, wait! Baja last February! I told Eric we need to get one of those portable hot tubs so we can go camping at places that don't have hot springs :thumbsup:

Hey, my gloves...and everything else...were already filled with sand by the time I made it to the actual beach so I guess I should have thrown one down :busted: The waves were rockin' pretty good. There were all kinds of weather warnings everywhere, and the TV kept showing that Emergency Broadcasting System thing where the TV beeps real loud to get your attention and then the high surf warning would crawl across the screen. Lots of sand to play on there, totally killer SM-quality roads, lots of dirt stuff, some of the best sportbike roads in the west (kinda boring on a 600cc single, though) and beautiful views in every direction. Not a lot of people up there, either:applause: My kind of stuff!

Glad y'all enjoyed the photos and stuff :)

WoodsChick
  11. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS