1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Well slap my A$$ and call me Sally! (2012 CR 125 ignition)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by krieg, Nov 1, 2011.

1. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Just pulled both ignition modules on my '12 and '11 CR's. Both are identical. Kousan from Japan. Husky part # 8000A9442.

Now I'm struggling for an explanation for why the '12 runs so much better than the '11 out of the box with stock jetting. :excuseme: Could it be the fact that the '11 came stock with a 150 top end and the 150 top requires more TLC? I don't think so... since I also owned a 2009 CR 125 and it was finicky with jetting and required much tweaking to get it right.

I'm not the only one who has reported excellent "out of box" performance from the '12's.... so... what is it? Inquiring minds need to know.
  2. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

how about the coil?

How about the stator?
  3. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Doh...my bad...read it again...unless I missed something....I don't remember reading or seeing the CR getting the Ducati ignition for 12 ....only the WR 125 getting it. If indeed that is true...12 CR ignition will be same as 11.
  4. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

is the stock jetting the same? Power valve settings, the actual power valves, pipe, etc? Something probably changed. Or you just got a good 2012 and a bad 2011. With small bore Huskys it seems that no two are the same.
  5. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Yep Joe, there have been several conflicting reports through the gravevine about the Ducati ignition. I fell for line that said it was both the CR and WR. It's obviously not true for the CR's which leaves me wondering why "what's good for the Goose is NOT good for the Gander"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining as my '12 CR has exceeded my expectations. But now I'm wondering what the Ducati ignition might do for the CR.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I bet higher tolerances on the ports and power valves. That motor ripped stock until 09 and then all sorts of weird things happened. Seems it is sorted back out. Bills CR150 ripped too.
  7. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    Here we go...
  8. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Pipe is identical to the 2011. Already verified that. I have no clue yet about power valves or PV settings. Jetting is richer with the idle jet on the 2012 (45 for the '12 versus 35 for the '11). But this is most likely due to the displacement difference and could not possibly be the sole reason for one bike running better out of the box than the other. Maybe you're right that I got a a good '12 and a bad '11... but I'm skeptical since preliminary reports seem to be unanimous that the '12's scream right out of the box.
  9. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Here we go indeed. This is what makes this forum great... eh?
  10. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

The 09 125s were very inconsistent. I honestly think that there were a couple of different cylinders being used by Husky for a while.
  11. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    You betcha!
    I'm in the garage on my mephone packing things to go...

Couldn't get the little beer drinking dude in my reply...

I was eyeballing' one up at Scotts...

Looks real nice... Runs that good, eh?
  12. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My WR150 came with a 45 pilot.
  13. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    By far the best running out of box Husky 2 stroke I've owned (I've owned 4). Maybe I got lucky this time.
  14. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki was famous for 'Box Rocket' street bikes back in the day....

Sometimes; no explanation...

I hope there aren't a lot of variables between different bikes, same model... I don't know what he's riding next year yet...

Congrats on the 'hope to be typical' hot rod!
  15. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Bill brought a 2011 CR150 to the NW gathering and everyone said it ran strong. I am not sure if he had done any jetting or not.
    The 09 had some issues for sure. Mine was not bad but I know others were way off.
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

What Scott said. I have found a lot of variation in the 09 cylinders, power valves and power valve clearances. I have found the same thing in the '10 oem 144 cylinders/power valves. We are talking about very small differences but where .020"-.040" can make a huge difference one way or the other. JMO
  17. smoke229 Husqvarna
    A Class

other than jetting issues, brand new bikes always run awesome, its hard to tell unless you buy two new bikes at the same time. if you take one new bike and put 10 hours on it, then get the 0 hour bike out it usually seems much crisper to me....
    i think the ignitions break down fast, i had a honda cr125 that ran great but i broke the pickup coil trying to adjust it, honda would only sell me the complete kit. i put the new complete kit on and WOW the bike hadnt ran that peppy and slick since it was brand new, and i had thought the bike ran great before i broke the coil.
  18. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had to dig this old thread up. I'm considering a new '11 or '12 CR 150. So just the WR got a new ignition? On the CR what is different between the 11 and 12? Just frame/rim colors and KYB forks instead of Marzocchi's. And you get a 125 kit...which is cool, but for most guys will just be sitting on a shelf in their shop. Were there any other changes for 12 that would make it "must have" over the 11?

Wish we'd get the hydraulic clutch on the 2 strokes!
  19. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'm glad my 150 doesn't have a hydraulic clutch. It doesn't need it. Super easy. I can't wait to try the 167 with the modified pipe this weekend at the Nat'l Enduro.
  20. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    What pipe are you running? My spare cylinder is boxed up to go out for Walt to work his magic :banana: