Well the snow is here - Fun ride...

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Motosportz, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The high country (well high for the local area at about 4000 feet at the top) got its first snow. Regardless we went riding on what may be the last day for this fun area. Just me and my buddy Travis. Had a great time, only covered 39 miles but a lot of it was in snow and we where the first through most of it so challenging and man I am sore when I usually am not after 60 miles of fun. Was a crazy clear day, 65 degrees, and the snow made it just beautiful. So instead of hammering out miles we had a fun trail ride and just enjoyed the day. We have had some huge rain / wind storms and there was much carnage.

Buddies nice KTM 350 with sweet new alligator skin seat (loved it)

[IMG]

Huge mushrooms everywhere and a large variety of them.

[IMG]

busting trail on the 165

[IMG]

lots of slushy snow

[IMG]

[IMG]

Came to a washed out crossing, decided to take 45 minutes and toss large rocks in to make it passable. Was a 2 foot drop into a 3 foot deep pool to a 2 foot step up so would have been a mess to try to just cross.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Big rains and some snow melt off meant lots of water and nice waterfalls everywhere.

[IMG]

You may have seen me post this trail shot before, this is the first time I ride it in snow. the climb up was a little challenging as there was pretty good snow on the switchbacks and I was first.

[IMG]

but we were determined to get here and we did

[IMG]

[IMG]

Recharging via my solar panel (head)

[IMG]

You can see 4 mountains from here, St Helens, Adams, Hood and Rainier pictured here. Was a spectacular view day for sure.

[IMG]

one more super fun ride on the 165 warrior. Love that machine, thanks Walt.

[IMG]
    Johnrg, troy deck, FabOneUp and 6 others like this.
  2. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Great shots Kelly!
    I wish I had taken more shots last year when I was there with the work party.
  3. ptkatoomer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2020 ktm 300 xc-w, 2020 ktm 500exc
    It's neat to see all these beautiful trails that everyone shares on this site. Definitely makes this SoCal boy want to plan some trips around this awesome country of ours!
    WoodsChick likes this.
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That's a pretty good description of the riding in the PNW mountain ranges... First you get snow in the early winter with some melting that fills the creeks and blocks some trails... Then more snow and more trails are hidden till only the lowest elevations have anything open ... Next summer it reverses its and more trails become accessible each week as the snow melts and really fills the creeks to the brim ...

--
    That big butte with you sitting in front looks familiar ... Where are you at? Do you know the trail number?
  5. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Nice! We're due for our first snow soon.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Luckily here in the Portland / Vancouver area we have the lower coast range to ride if you like to ride in rain and wet which I do. It provides good winter riding and stays ridable a good portion of the winter due to it being 300-2300 feet.
  7. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I had planned a 120 mile loop in this area the same day, dropped 10 gallons of gas and hoped for the best. We came through the opposite way where Kelly stacked the rocks, it took us 4 to a bike to get them up the bank.

The water was running higher than it has been, lots higher. I crossed this creek and when I got to the other side the 3 guys I was with looked at me like I was special in the head. So I had to turn around and do it again. Soaked from the waist down I got to finish the ride in the snow... We ended up skipping the gas stop and heading back early, 85 miles and running on fumes.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=652144854815866" width="226" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=10201912677729225" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Later,
    juicypips likes this.
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That's pretty hard-core as I'm sure that water was not quite hot-tub temp...
  9. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP

It was toasty, wet feet paddling in snow makes for a cold day. I worry about one of these late season rides going wrong, it would make for an uncomfortable night. This one had its fair share of issues, got the chainsaw stuck in a tree first thing, friend with flat front tire, deep creek crossing. We got lucky and made it back to the truck with time for beer and bbq.

[IMG]
    It was worth it though.
    [IMG]
    I took this before coming back across, they were looking for a good line. Didn't find one.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Later,
    bigjon, pahusky, BILLF and 1 other person like this.
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Jake is hard core.
    WoodsChick and BILLF like this.
  11. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    That is just stunningly beautiful country and to think they still allow you to ride through it---Perfect.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

yes it does not suck. Oregon, Washington and Idaho have endless miles of this stuff.
  13. MaDProFF Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    STR
    You Guys do not know how lucky you are, I live in the SE of England UK, naff all places like that to ride :(
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many

Yes we do. Part of the reason I choose to live here in the wild west. Even in the eastern states here in the US there is no open riding like this.
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Yep. I could never live east of Denver. Just not enough public lands for my taste.
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful PNW with us, Kelly!
    Oh, and were do I get lovely blue WB165 graphics for my little sleeper machine?
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    http://www.decalmx.com/
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Lots of the trails (at least on the north side of GPNF in WA) where we rode are close to a 100 yrs old and were made for fire control or access to the remote areas in case of fire ...Probably lots of horse travel has been on the trails decades back ...

The GOV actually did a good job on their web sight of describing the trails in the area we rode ...

--
    I luved riding there ... You just have to accept the snow as part of the ride each yr and use it for what it is ... The water that flows and fills the creeks early in the year is really cool to see ... And icy cold ..

We even had one trail, the 294, that we all had to ride and qualify on each year to prove we were still worthy enough to ride the rough stuff up there ...It was short, but intense :) ....

Hope Kelly doesn't me posting this pic on his thread ... One of my last rides :( ...That's Badger lake (?)... Just a small, water run-off , snow melt, filled lake in the mountains ...
    BagderLake1.jpg
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes, badger.
  19. LinoValent Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Just awesome.. Definitely it is fun riding and you are enjoying it most.. Thanks for sharing out such lovely pics..
  20. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    see you said the W word now look at ya:lol: