1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st What are the options for a scratched fork lower?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

After i blew the seal on one of my lower legs the shop advised me it has a small stone scratch which has caused it.

I am yet to see the damage so dont have a pic as yet.

What are my options to fix this (if its not too deep)?
  2. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    That happen to me when the bike was new. I got my dremble tool out and buffed it smooth, change the seal and it worked. No more seal leak.
  3. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Run ya finger nail down the stantion and you should be able to feel any scratches.
    Find some 800 wet and dry and sand the whole stantion spraying WD40 or CRC...then polish it off with 1200 again with WD40 or CRC..

For deep pits or scratches, and only you can judge whether to re-hard chrome it, you can fill the small pits or scratches with aralidate which you will need to sand back like above.

Don't worry if it's a dull finish as the slider/seals will eventually polish it like a mirror.
  4. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

If it's just a scratch you can use a sanding stone. I had a lower tube that I smoothed out but kept losing seals. We finally determined that the lower fork tube was "egged" out and no longer round where the damage was (it was hit by another riders foot peg in a pile up). It was a 45mm fork, I called around and FBF sold me a whole lower tube for $50. They had left overs from putting 50mm forks on bikes. Lots of Husky guys have swapped out forks over the years so depending on what you need you may be able to find a deal.
  5. motomaniac Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 RMZ450 2005YZ250 2001 EXC300
    Crocus cloth will polish it smooth. If you have pits or dents, fill with epoxy then sand down and finish with crocus cloth. This process will take a few hours. The $50 tube is alot easier.
  6. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Gents, thats music to my ears. I thought it would cost a fortune. Will try the sanding and fillin approach first up. Can't complain if I can't fix it for only 10 bucks :)

Cheers
    S
  7. huskyte310 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09/te310
    $50 tube. I think it's a lot more than that in the USA.