1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st What made you want a 2 stroke?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by ohmygewd, Feb 28, 2012.

?

Why a 2 Stoke?

Because l grew up with them 34 vote(s) 45.3%
Love the ease of maintenances 52 vote(s) 69.3%
Addicted to the smell and sound 35 vote(s) 46.7%
Love the lightness and explosive power 54 vote(s) 72.0%
Wanted a change from a 4t. 16 vote(s) 21.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    It may seem a strange question to ask in the 2t forum but in a world where many youngsters have never ridden a 2 stroke, what made you want to own or buy 2 stroke?
  2. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll just amend my reasoning a little bit. I don't particularly like the explosive power, but I really like the light weight. That was the primary reason I switched from a 2007 TE 250 to a 2008 CR 125. The ease of maintenance is a delightful side benefit.
  3. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    When I started riding again (after a 14 yr hiatus), I got into dual sporting with thumpers. I road the crap out of my plated XRR, but after I picked up a KX250 for woods riding, it sat unused for months. I've ridden a TXC 250 and TE310 and enjoyed riding them, but I just don't see me racing one of those bikes. I love my WR300 and am picking up a WR125 sometime soon......possibly 2 of them.
  4. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

Light weight, easy maintenance, crazy low end power, no overheating and NO FLAME OUTS!
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    "Explosive Power" might not be the right word for it. I would describe the power as instant, yet smooth for the most part. A two stroke can be tuned many ways.:banana:

Oh yeah....and they are much easier to start after a drop.
  6. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    My 06 YZ 450 tried to kill me. To much power and to heavy not to mention the heat they generate at low speed trail riding.
  7. earl61 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It's all of the above plus way more fun, we call it a no Brainer
  8. Bradass80 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Because my 2005 CRF280X was eating 2 or 3 top ends a year. Brad.
  9. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    At times I will admit I miss my ktm 525 but I also love the simpicity of maintenance on my wr300 even more.
  10. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    It's funny how mag testers of today describe riding a 2t as a bike not suited for the amateur as it requires more fitness, you need to be constantly shifting gears to stay in the powerband or lack of engine braking makes decents harder....l guess l don't know any better as to me, that is the skill of offroad riding?

Grew up with 2t's and never really had the urge to own a 4t, mighty tempted though, as l don't have fun on a 4t. Sure the linear power is great but that explosive powerband (or instant) and trying to ride within that band is, well, awesome. Yep, 2t's are more agile due to less weight but more specifically where the weight is carried as a CRF450 is as light as any 300 2t yet, at slow speeds, the thing feels top heavy...if a 4t rev'd and were as reliable as modern 4t roadbikes then l'd have one.

Engine braking...that's why MotoGP rider's wanted slipper clutches so they could eliminate excessive engine braking in order to brake deeper, a trait inherent with all 2t's that have next to zero engine braking.

I could start a debate on 2t v 4t and waffle on forever but at the end of the day it's the grin factor. I don't race nor do l ride hard these days but a 2t challenges me and absolutely a thrill every time l ride one...that's why l stayed a 2t owner.
    Gotlabs likes this.
  11. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Anyone ever seen those extreme enduros like Erzburg or Red bull romaniacs? They are all on two strokes !
    ohmygewd likes this.
  12. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I grew up on 2 strokes and in 1987, Al Baker talked me into riding for XRs Only and a XR280 Honda. I had been winning on my Kawasaki KDX200 but had been told that they were going to watercooled the next year. Actually it ended up being a couple years later Kaw went watercooled but I learn to love my XR280 and I took what I learned from Al and ended up building a XR300 that would out run Al's personal bike. He didn't like that a bit but conseeded that mine worked pretty good. In 1989, I won a Gold medal at the ISDE in Germany on my XR300R against 350cc bikes. The next year, I went to riding a XR600R. I won a lot of races on XRs over the years. I hated when Honda quit making them. Honda wouldn't listen to me or Scott Summers about what we wanted in a bike. In 2003, I went to a KTM 525EXC. Nice bike and power but I had problems with ignition and blown head gaskets. Infact I rode KTMs until early 2009 when I came down with Parsonage Turner Syndrone and had trouble hanging onto the KTMs. I had issues every year with the high strung water cooled 4 strokes. I built a Honda XR200R to ride the next year and had a blast. Then I built a CRF230F into a 250cc bike and it was reliable and fun but didn't handle as well as the XR200R. I kept the XR (I can also ride it in Post Vintage AHRMA events) and sold the CRF. When I felt strong enough I bought the 2011 WR150 Husky. What a neat bike . Handles great. Easy to work on. Great power and low end. I decided to ride it another year and get a 2013 when they come out. Modern 4 strokes are not nearly as fun or reliable as the older air cooled bikes. Older 4 strokes had tons of torque and low end. You didn't need top end HP.
    I am back on 2 strokes and am staying.
    Slowpoke, jmetteer, 454x and 2 others like this.
  13. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    The old day's 2-stroke was nothing like todays, if my WR's were like my 1973 Bultaco Pursang i'd trade it for the 4-stroke. But my last 4-stroke which is a Husaberg and not the John Banks CCM i owned or the 1976 model too, completely different CCM being better. Although not as reliable, English traits ya know. The 70's hybred 4-st were like riding a schwinn bike as apposed to the Kawi 450 or an 08 Husaberg, they are like riding a refrigerator after 2 hrs. Heavy. But anyway 2-strokes are just cool and you can dazzle yourself for little cost. It is all about escape for a day or weekend why not do it on a smoker, better tuning possibly with a wide range of pipes and carbs. Simple.....
  14. Parh 474 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '73 Cr125, '06 Cr125/144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ossa, Bultaco, Puch, Maico, AJS, Yam
    What's a fore-stroke?
    Rob578, Dirtdame and pat ohara like this.
  15. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    I believe that is some technical golf move...
  16. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Somebody posted this a couple of years ago on one of the forums here. Time for a repost.
    [IMG]

I don't always ride a two stroke....but when I do, it is the most fun!
  17. Harbinger Hróðvitnir

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Nuda 900 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell
    firecrotch likes this.
  18. Steve Kanya Husqvarna
    AA Class

We blow up a few 4 strokes every year ice racing [CRFs], even the bulletproof ones with thousands of dollars worth of welded, balanced cranks, super head work etc. When they blow it is thousands to fix. My buddy who is racing the World Indoor Ice Series blew up 3 Hondas one winter play riding, 2 in one day. I had my KTM 250 Four banger sold, the guy was on the way over to pick it up and pay, eeeeeeek, it blows up while I warmed it up. $2500 to fix it. I'm back on smokers and love beating up on the big 4 strokes with my little WR 250.
  19. jbankes Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR144
    Like most other things I get into trouble for buying, I place total blame on Hogwackr. I was perfectly happy riding a big heavy four stroke on quad paths, and struggling to pick it up ten times a ride on single tracks.
    hogwackr likes this.
  20. mrkartoom Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE610, 15 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Beta Rev
    I had to check all the reasons since they all applied for me. Although I grew to really appreciate the 4T power delivery I just wanted to go back. After blowing through several corners due to lack of engine braking I'm back at home on the smoker! :D