1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc What mileage are you getting on your wr250/300 w/Lectron?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Brian Scott, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    I'm considering upgrading to a 38mm Lectron for my '11 wr300, but want to know what fuel mileage you're all getting before I take the dive as that will be the deciding factor. I've been running a Keihin 38mm PWK ASII since day 1. No real issues w/current or past jetting, but mileage suffers and I don't want the ugly IMS tank. My steed is a thirsty girl as I'm consistently around 17/18 mpg w/the high comp head, porting, fmf gnarly and tc2, and rekluse zsp in the wet pacific northwest single track. Floats are set low to avoid overflow, but does not affect fuel delivery when WFO. Was getting around 20/21 mpg w/out the rekluse.

So, how's your mileage and which Lectron and settings are you running? Also, should I just go straight to Lectron for it, or is there a preferred dealer now that Kelly doesn't sell them anymore?

Please and thank you.
  2. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Hay, yes go straight too lecton for it would be my advice.

I cant remember exactly the mpg gain but it was noticable i sold my ims tank too.
    Regret it as the see thru system is faultless.
    Brian Scott likes this.
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I rode tight single track in the rain for 50 miles (verified with a mechanical odometer), lugging in 2nd and 3rd gear to get traction on rocks and slippery wet clay, I used less then 2 gallons of race fuel. When I had the perfectly tuned Mikuni on it in 45 miles it was on reserve. That said if I ride more wide open four wheeler trails on the pipe there isn't that much of a difference but I'd say 2.6 gallons would still get me 55 miles (an extra 10 miles) with the Lectron. My bike is a 09 WR250 with a 2CS pipe and Q-Stealth silencer. I have also ran a Gnarly which is about the same in mileage but the 2cs has better power everywhere. The Lectron gave me just enough extra range that I didn't feel the need for an oversized tank. Also I've ridden both the Mikuni from 1500 ft in MO to 10,000 ft in CO and the Lectron handled it with a tweak of the idle screw where the Mikuni had to be ridden hard at 8500 ft or it would load up even after raising the idle and backing out the air screw, @ 10,000 ft the mikuni needed re jetting.

There are many perks to the Lectron that go beyond fuel savings, the best one for me is Lectron transforms the power making the bike easier to ride and hook up traction more like a 4 stroke does but with the lightness of a 2 stroke and not the engine braking.
    Brian Scott, NCSteve and juicypips like this.
  4. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    While it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, I've done 65 miles on my YZ with the Lectron and a stock tank and had ~8oz of fuel left. My buddy with the same bike, stock carb, and 3gal tank was empty.
    shrubitup and Brian Scott like this.
  5. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Yeah, I swear I'm getting closer to 30 mpg with the 300, maybe it's 27 or 28. I don't need an over sized tank yet. On the 165 is more like 25 though, maybe a little less.
    Brian Scott likes this.
  6. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    Well 25 to 30 mpg is much better than what I'm currently getting, so it seems like I should spring for it. Why such a large disparity between a Keihin and a Lectron???
  7. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Cus lectrons are magic..
    Darrel78 and Brian Scott like this.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    My opinion is because the Lectron uses a flat back needle so the fuel is drawn half way up the needle and is atomized much better than dribbling out of a round hole with a round needle. Picture how an airplane wing makes lift the Lectron needle is similar. Also since there is only one basic circuit on a Lectron (the power jet is an auxiliary circuit for top end) there is no transitions between circuits. This is why it is so easy to tune a Lectron, the needle is one smooth circuit from top to bottom so if it's designed right for your engine the work is done for you. I once helped a guy who bought a Lectron from a different source that sent the wrong needle and it could not be made to work right until he ordered the correct needle.

Oh yea and Cus lectrons are magic..
  9. SmokeyExpress Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 WR300, 1996 WR360,2013 WR125
    I would definitely say this is one of those "MUST DO" mods! Seriously I can ride for 60 - 65 miles offroad usually without hitting reserve (think I might have once on the way home, only once mind you). Lectron gets a 5 big thumbs up from me. I definitely don't regret the purchase. Remember, quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!
    lankydoug and juicypips like this.
  10. oldmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 WR-360.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 505
    Installed one on my 2001 wr360 and proceeded to take it on a 150 mile dual sport ride. At the end of the day I used 2.5 gallons so mileage was great. Much better than the stock carb anyday.
    SmokeyExpress and juicypips like this.
  11. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    So before I take the Lectron plunge I want to throw on my Mikuni TMX 38 that I've never used from day 1 and compare mileage to the Keihin. For schitts and giggles. Today's ride resulted in about 17 mpg (46 miles and the 2.5 gal tank was nearly dry). What's the recommended jetting for the Mikuni? I typically ride between sea level and 3,000 ft elevation, and 40 to 70 degrees F. Thanks!
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    My 2011 WR300 is running the JD Racing needle (the low elevation one) and the richer needle jet that goes with it. Beyond that, I'm using a #32 pilot, #80 starter jet, #4 slide and a #440 main jet.
  13. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    440 pretty fat isn't it DD?
    Schrup likes this.
  14. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The bike runs quite well on top with a 440, paired with the other jetting and needle setup.
    shawbagga likes this.
  15. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    The Mik on the IT Husky seems very inefficient to me. I know there are a bunch that like 'em, but on my 300 it wasn't ever right and puked fuel to start and other times too.
    For me mileage with the 300 and 165 with Lectron 38mm is similar, pushing 30 mpg, riding WFO on fast fire roads and SE woods.
    Last ride on the 165, absolutely rippin' for 1 1/2 hr, 26 mi and used a little less than 1 gl :thumbsup: