1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st What oil to use? Tranny and premix

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jsleeper, Jan 21, 2010.

1. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, what oil do you guys use in your transmission? I use Honda 10/40 only because I have a couple trail 4 strokes that use it. What should I use? My 2 strokes do not like to start in gear...I am thinking it is because of the oil.

And while I am at it, what premix do you use? I have been using Rock Oil. Not sure if it is good or bad.

thanks in advance!

JS
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I think that most bikes have a lot of drag in the clutch when you try to start them in gear. 10/40 motor oil is okay, but transmission oil usually has a few more built in buffers like zinc and sulphur to reduce shock and contact between the gears.

Rock Oil makes good products but are not easy to find in most areas. I like to use Motorex Crosspower 2T in all my two strokes mixed at 60 to 1. It runs extremely clean and provides tremendous film strength to keep engine parts from wearing quickly.
  3. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks! I will have to take a look at Motorex. So, you run 60:1 even if the manual recommends 32:1?

JS
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Yes. The people who write the manual have no idea what kind of oil the user might be running. All manufacturers manuals ask you to run either 32:1 or 40:1, except for the KTM manual. They want you to run Motorex at 60:1 from the gitgo.:D I have almost always run a leaner mix of oil than what the manufacturer specifies. I knew a guy who ran his Motorex at 100:1 without any problems, but that's a little leaner than I feel comfortable with.
  5. tree dodger Husqvarna
    AA Class

Honda 10w/40 in my 07 WR-250 with Rekluse Pro. Amsoil Dominator at 50:1 for the premix.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Tree dodger is using the same 2t as I am for the 125 and it works extremely well. I use interceptor in my 250 & 360 with phenomenal results.

Walt
  7. jsleeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks everyone.

Help me out here...if I go from a 32:1 mix to a 50:1 or 60:1 would I want to put in some bigger jets in the carb? Or smaller jets?

JS
  8. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    It shouldn't really affect the jetting all that much, but if you put less oil in the mix, that means you will have slightly more gasoline, so if anything the jetting would possibly be richer and need a smaller jet. Shouldn't make a difference really, though.
  9. tree dodger Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wallybean, have you noticed much of a difference between the dominator and the interceptor. Just wondering why you are using different oils for different size bikes.
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The Dominator has a little better film strength for the higher reving 125/144 at the slight expense of PV cleaning. I still use the interceptor in my 360. Amsoil recommends periodic inspection and cleaning of the combustion/pv area with Dominator. Translation tear down your top end every few months of running to eliminate any deposit build up. I don't have enough time on the 125/144 to come to any conclusions.

Walt

PS, My WR 250 is on its 4th year on the original piston with the interceptor. Has virtually no wear and is well within specs when I last pulled the top end. It still has stock compression and I have only ringed it once. The cylinder lining itself is completely pristine. It helps that it never runs above 9000 rpm where as the 125/144 has another couple of thousand rpm of rip at 9000 rpm.
  11. donutbiker Husqvarna
    C Class

hey all,

need any advise i can get from ya regarding 2T oil and premix ratio.

I am riding the 2008 husky sm125s supermoto, which is a great beginner bike as its light and nimble when its healthy!

This bike has an electronically controlled 2T pump which fouls up my piston and ring very often. In the 8mths I had it, it has refused to start MANY times and requiring many tows to the workshop. To combat this overzealous 2T pump, i have just plugged it up and changed it to premix.

My mech suggested a ratio slightly more than 100:1 on liqui molly oil, ie 1L gas to 12ml oil. After doing some reading in various forums, it seems that this 100:1 ratio is not really recommended.

My bike starts easy now, previously i had to kick many times and throttle heaps to get it up and going. In the morning, 1st start of the day is always fill with white smoke, so i guess the engine is getting the lubrication?

My riding style, is to try to oush it hard whenever possible in a safe manner, up to 80km/h in the city. However, I do go on FULL throttle up to 100km/h on freeways for long distance (400 km both ways, with rest break abt every 50-60km) once in awhile.

I have yet to go on full throttle for long distance, as i worry about the 100:1 ratio. DO you guys think that I should go up to 50:1 ratio?
  12. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    Here is another vote for AMSOIL in both the transmission and the premix.
  13. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi! I use Amalie Extreme SG in the box and their semisynthetic Synplus for premix at 3,5 percent on the iceracing days. Almost smokeless with the right jetting! Smells good too:applause:!
  14. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

Bardhal 75x-90w gear oil. And Motul 800 2t at 32:1.

I had good success with the Bardhal racing 2t oil, but they do not put any color in it, becomes a problem when you own 2t's and 4T's.

I still use there gear oil. Easy to find for me at the local auto parts.
  15. KXWR Husqvarna
    C Class

Belray H1R premix 50/1
    Belray Gear saver 80wt trans.
    I've been using these products for the past nine years in all my 2 strokes.No engine or trans failures.Low smoke and smooth shifting.
  16. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Shell Rotella 5w40 in the gearbox (changed every 10hrs run-time) and Klotz R50 in the tank @ 32:1. Many years, many bikes and never a problem.
  17. kzoo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 295
    Use(d) Amsoil 10w-40 in the tranny. Going to give Amsoil 0w-40 a shot. Use Amsoil interceptor pre-mix.
  18. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    I wanna Know how you guys running 60:1 are keeping the cranks from going south prematurely.
  19. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    If you ever get to NJ. Go get some free Rotella, some guy over on TT has a 55gal drum and said stop buy with a empty 5gal. bucket.
  20. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    Motul 710 2T @ 50:1. No smoke, no drool, no carbon. Engine is spotless after 5 tanks.