1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc What's next?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by rockdancer, Aug 29, 2012.

1. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    The 144 with wr ignition isnt cutting it at the moment
    Would like more power everywhere
    Jetting is good
    still have 125 pipe
    Whats my next step?
    Pipe? Cr ignition? 165 kit? Head mods
    Whats the verdict on the bigger 39mm carb?
    Does it give more top end?
    I like the 144 but it doesn't hit hard - maybe a few more hours on it will loosen it up
    What sort of compression should a new 144 have?
    Anyone have any go faster bits for sale let me know
    (I have a spare 125 setup so if I sell the ktm I will get it to Walt)
  2. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    just installed the new 144 cylinder on my wr/cr125, took it for a quick spin round the yard and has a load more bottom end.I will need to take it for a good ride on the weekend to sus out the top end after a couple of heat cycles, with 125 cylinder it had little bottom, smooth build up to power valve opening and then good power .i'll let you know how it revs out with the mods i have done.i will do a compression test on it as well, expect around 190 psi i run no base gasket.
  3. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

save your time just get a 165 with the fatty, they are all you really need
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  4. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    If the 144 has you wanting more... The 165 WITH the Fatty, will be music to your ears...
  5. Husqvarna125 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE250, 2015 TE200, 1984 WR 400
    Go with the CR ignition next. It's good jump and makes the bike run better everywhere. I was really surprised when I put it on.
  6. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I must admit the bike is much better on technical hills with the wr144 setup
    I was king of he hills!
    If I change to cr setup is there less luggability? I'd imagine so.
    The 165 is inevitable and i was thinking fatty as well
    Hear a few people saying no base gasket - is that wise??
    I guess there isn't too much that it can do
  7. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    never used a base gasket or the wr ignition so hard for me to do a comparison also run a noleen racing pipe from a kx125 which gives a throatier sound and pulls better than the pro circuit i had on seems, to be larger in diameter allround.I will play with the ignition running less advance for more top end and less bottom may have to lean out the jetting too.
  8. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    CR ignition will make it hit harder, faster but it's still tractable in the tight stuff. It eliminates that delay in the throttle response due to the flywheel weight. Highly recommend sending your carb off to Ron at RB Designs to have the divider plate and jetting mods installed. Hits much harder off the bottom. :cheers:
  9. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have the CR (08) so I can't say what a difference the CR ignition would make on a WR but ....I've been through the stock 125 phase. Then the more better everywhere high compression Walt 144 with Fatty phase, and now I've found pure power heaven with the WB165 and the KTM 200 Fatty :D. The tip on the RB carb is good one; something I may do this winter. I say go for the WB165.
  10. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    bigger displacement is the best bang for your buck.

get a WB 165 and a fatty pipe it ads power on the whole range and its very controllable it doesn't scream as long in the revs as the original set up does.
    you might have to use a different pipe for it if that is what you need.

for sure the WB 165 puts a grin on your face from ear to ear

Robert-Jan
  11. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    ok finnished work early and went for a 40 minute ride, the 144 is way smoother with less noticable hit but still revs out well.
    jetting is now way off requiring leaner pilot and main.going to go 370 main and 20 pilot.
    one thing i did notice was getting to top speed alot quicker but it feels slower due to smoother transition.
    need to sort jetting out before next test, i will try it with a bit more advance as i took it back to standard to keep the overev.all in all i think this capacity could be the go for the gravel, clay conditions around here.
  12. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Mine was also too rich from 125 settings and adjusted the needle to second from top slot and went from 30 to 27.5 pilot and kept 380 main . older TMX - same as jo 360. It ran a lot better but may still be too rich - checking the plug it seems to be blacker on one side of the plug than other :excuseme:
    I would like to try a leaner needle - is that a 61 ? Maybe that will help with a bit more power

Not sure about 20 pilot - let us know jo360 .
    Compression is around 150psi after 2 1/2 hours on new top end - maybe a bit more compression would wake it up a bit? Whats the norm for a head shave .3mm? maybe a simple mod
    I also noticed gearing seems too low now - so will go to 14 front sprocket
    P1020671.JPG
    hey that was easy to do now
    what are thoughts guys?
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

You should drop your 125 top end in the mail to me. By the time I get it and turn it around you will be wanting it. ;)
  14. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    You are right -stock cylinder with head and valves
    Or fast by Ferrari cylinder?
    I am thinking stock..
    Pm sent
  15. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    ive got a spare 27.5 and 25 pilot if you want to give them a try.i will try a fatter needle aswell.
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Doesn't matter as either one is going to get fairly re-configured for the bigger bore.
  17. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    ok settled on a 15 pilot and 350 main could not get another needle so i dropped the main to suit, compression is 190 psi stone cold after 5 kicks, advanced timing to 5mm infront of mark.pulled clean run uphill slope wheel spinning in sixth, wheel spinning made me think i had to adjust my clutch as it was spinning a lot lower in the rev range.did about 2hrs on and off with no fouling issues plug looks a nice tan and ignition mark is spot on bend of plug electrode.next step will be to change gearing to 13/48 and weaker spring in power valve governor might try a weaker main spring with a stiffer shorter spring inside hoping this might bring power band on sooner but smoother.
  18. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    I recently installed a 2000 CR ignition in my '95 WR 125 & it was a big improvement.:applause:
    Much quicker throttle response, more instant power, stronger bottom end & mid but not quite as much power up top, I may need to tickle the ignition timing a little to give it more power up top. The only drawback is no lighting coil, but that isn't that hard to overcome.
    I had to guess the timing as I have no timing tool & the '95 WR didn't show marks on the cases for the CR ignition to line up with.
    You could go to the expense of a port job & head mods but I don't think you could go past Walt's 165 kit with the CR ignition & the right gearing. That sounds like the bomb as many people here have said.
    Not running a base gasket can interfere with your squish clearance & can cause air leaks between the cylinder & the cases. You need to set squish clearance to suit the cylinder/piston you have.
    I just wish the '97 & earlier 125's could be bored out to accomodate the larger piston that is in Walt's kit, unfortunately the way the power valve is setup in these models won't allow that.:(
    Or you could go to a 250 if the 165 isn't enough power for you, but as we all know the 125's platform is just so much fun to ride ;)
    rockdancer likes this.
  19. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks guys good to hear you still have the 125 ausky
    If I could find a cr ignition I'd do that next but not sure if the 165 needs the cr ignition as Walt says it is a bit smoother with the wr setup and has enough power.bang for $ both seem to be the go