1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Which bike should I buy?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by marc p., Mar 31, 2011.

1. marc p. Husqvarna
    B Class

Hi, noob here. I currently have a cr250, the other brand. Lately I have been thinking of getting a 125. I am 50+ yrs old and 140 lbs, riding since 1971. I can pickup a new '10 yz125 for $5875 out the door or a new '08 cr125 husqvarna(has ohlins shock) for $4000 out the door or new '10 wr125 for $5446 out the door, this one would require a 500 mile round trip to bring back to southern nevada. I don't race but like to "attack" whatever I'm riding on. I usually setup a short course and work on that.I did some research and it seems to me that the husky 125's are very durable and the parts prices seem reasonable. Thanks in advance for any input. Long live two strokes.
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I'm sure I'll be in the minority, but I say go for the '10 WR125.... better handling and ergos than the '08 CR125. If I couldn't have a Husky, I'd be looking at Gas Gas or TM, not Yamaha.
  3. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Norm's right. Skip the Yamaha at all costs, it's all hit and not good for woods or old man riding.
  4. marc p. Husqvarna
    B Class

Hi, thanks for the replies. Norman or Krieg, what is the difference in ergo between wr and cr? Are'nt these same bikes but different ignition mapping?(Different powerband) Or is the 08cr lots different from '10wr in the ergonomics? Remember, I'm a midget. Additionally, I really want someone to talk me into the cr! Are the new parts on the '10 worth the difference in prices?
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I say get the 08 CR. I got a new left over 08 a year or so back and with the savings over the WR you can get the 144 kit and suspension done. The 08 CR is hotter than the 10 WR but with the 144 it's a smooth woods machine. I'm 52 myself and just love the CR. I agree with Krieg and Norman get either Husky, GG, or TM the YZ is ok but not in the same league IMO.
  6. marc p. Husqvarna
    B Class

Hi jonh01,thanks for your thoughts, I'm pretty much the same as well. I think $4000 for a new(but very dusty)cr125 is about right? Your thoughts? Anyone else have an opinion? Oh yeah, John which 144 kit, Gorr or oem?
  7. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '09 was the first year for all new CR/WR125. I never upgraded my '02 WR125 until the '09 WR125 came out, because I could never get along with the seat, body work and ergos of the '06-'08 Husky 2 strokes. '08 CR125 has an excellent engine.
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

It is kind of a trade off. Great 08 CR motor in a dated frame that still works great with not the best suspension vs the new frame, TC 50 zokes, and a motor that needs help to be great. You can do a lot of fun stuff for the extra $1400.
  9. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    2010 CR125 $4495 from Bills Husky. Shipping couldn't be but $200 to NV
    Just a thought....

10. marc p. Husqvarna
    B Class

Hi Norman, I need to go sit on the cr to see what you mean. I was at the dealer to look at ktm200's. Always liked the Husky from back in the day with Mark Blackwell( I think) in the GP's and did he actually win the championship? Thats a long time ago. Mr. Wallybean, I thought the Ohlins shock was top rated stuff versus the Sachs? And are you saying the twin chamber forks are only on the '10. I should do more research on this. I always have to go to lighter springs(and less oil) in the forks and sometimes on the shock with my earlier bikes. That '01 cr250 honda I have is setup for 170 lbs+ and supercross jump ready and and way to noncompliant for my putting around.Okay now it just got complicated, PC. I will look up Bills see if that is out the door. And then go find a '10 cr to bounce on. Thanks guys, I appreciate the time you're taking with me.
  11. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Marc my 144 is a hybrid. Had the cyl. done, head cut, and Walt (Walleybean) special grind on the PV's. I rode it again today for an hr. or so at the house in the woods and it has to be ridden to be appreciated. I can't describe how smooth the power is and on a light 125 it feels like an electric bycle. It's funny I have some time on a friends 09 WR and as soon as I get on it it feels tighter and more solid than my 08CR but for some reason I'm more comfortable on the 08. I think the seat shape and somehting else I can't put my finger on is just a little off. I think it boils down to me being an old fart (52) and the 08 "feeling" like I remember bikes feeling. PC has just put an excellent bike choice into the mix! I think my vote has changed....yep get the 2010 CR125.
  12. marc p. Husqvarna
    B Class

Sorry I was'nt very clear, I meant the honda cr is setup that way from the factory and nice and plush now.
  13. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

14. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Yep that is the way to go!!!
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Ok I changed my mind again for you....yes get the 09CR from Bill's!
  16. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    09 CR from Bills for sure. I would have jumped on the same deal but I'm 6'6" and 210lbs so I got an 09 WR250 from Bills for $4900.
  17. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I talked to Bill last night and it's a sweet deal on the '09. I'm very tempted for a spare bike.
  18. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I thought those 09's from Bill's were gone.
    I guess not....

I bought one of those a few weeks back and it was $3695 plus DMV fee's. Since you're out of state I dont think you'd have to pay DMV up front.
    Bill IS the most straight shooting and honest guy you can deal with!

BTW, the OEM kickstand was only like $80. Factory kickstand on my CR125 [IMG]
  19. marc p. Husqvarna
    B Class

I'm very tempted to get the '09.Possibly the '10. I did find on another thread that the '06-'08 were taller,bigger than the latest models. The problem I have is there is only the '08 125 here in las vegas and Malcom Smith in Riverside, Ca is 3.5 hrs away. I have almost convinced myself to get the latest model without even sitting on it because I can't recall ever feeling uncomfortable on any bike I have ridden. I have a problem when stationary(short) rolling, no problem. Also not a lot of technical out in the desert. Whats the difference between '09 and the '10's?
  20. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    The '09 pipe will be crap. They changed vendors for the pipe in '10 and they are built a lot better. Our '09 CR had terrible welds with little pin holes all over the place. Also, the '09's had an issue with the pipe rubbing the shock reservoir. That's why the reservoir on the '10 and '11's are horizontal.