1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Which Bike?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by rockdancer, Aug 15, 2011.

1. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Ok so Ive had the 04 TE450 the wr125s and then a TE250 2010 . The 250 was quick point to point but didnt excite me enough so its now sold. ( maybe Im just getting over riding.. I dont know )
    So I am up in the air about what to get next - too many choices

Choices - Cr125/150 or Xc 150 no reg plate - $4000 to $5500
    easy to ride , fun - lacking torque maybe. Love light weight .
    I like the revviness of the 125 but didnt like lack of torque - not sure a 144 is going to be a big enough step

Used/near new WR 250 - 2010 - $6800 fun and plenty of power

Used/ near new WR300 2010 $6800 - torque monster? too much maybe

Older 08 Ktm 200/250 - $6500 - whats wrong with a ktm ? not as good value but better resale

TE 450 09 - easier to ride than my old 04 ?

Penny for your thoughts
  2. husky bom Husqvarna
    A Class

heres what i think but that does not mean much

dont go to a 09 te 450 yes easy to ride but you will hate the weight ...trust me i owned one

wr250 would be fun but dated frame dated bike and resale is shit with husky as you and i both know
    if rego is not a problem i would go a 150xc as this would be heaps of fun and you liked your wr125 and would know how to set it up to your liking

as for ktm 200/250 exc is the pick of the 2t great all round bike and has better resale

so here is my 2 cents worth
  3. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    My vote goes for the WR300, it may be dated but I beat a lot of newer bikes on mine. I wouldn't trade my Husky for 2 KTM's.
    454x and MR54L like this.
  4. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I actually prefer the older frames ergonomics which suit me at 6ft - 180 lb.
    Im not a super fast rider but like to try to ride fast anyway . I also want to use it for some MX but mostly quite technical terrain - S/T.

Is the 300 a handful on hills and tight stuff? Can you realy get it on the pipe and let it sing like a 250 ?
    Ridden both 250 and 300 briefly and 300 was easier to get traction but not sure if it is as much fun ? and if it will have too much for me to wring its neck

What is wrong with the ktm ?
  5. husky bom Husqvarna
    A Class

i think a lot of people on here just hate ktm but why dont know may because its better than there bike ktm thay use all the good stuff are more technical advanced than MOST OTHER BRANDS OF BIKES it realy pisses me of that people hate a good thing i like all bikes and yes all bikes have there problems yes husky as well ...so why dont all the ktm haters hate husky when thay make a shit bike .....its one eyed

more fun to be had on a 150/ 200/250 2t bike for mx/s/t and ktm has a e start on the 250 if thats in your sights and as i think ktm make a BETTER ALLROUND BIKE
    and gasgas make a top 2t as well
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My vote is for a 150 CR. I have one and the tq over the 125 has to be felt to be belived. BTW I don't hate KTM but I dislike them very much. Why....because they feel like crap when I try and ride them. I feel like I'm setting up on the gas tank looking over the number plate, while be back end fights for traction, and the front end plows straight a head! They aren't bad bikes they just aren't good bikes for me. We've had two and that was enough for me. I'll take a Husky or GasGas over the KTM's anyday and twice on ride days.
  7. Gotlabs Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 CR144 X 2!
    I'm 6'1" 200ish lbs and have no problems with ST on the 300. I came off of a woods modded KX250 that liked being on the pipe and the 300 has more usable power. I haven't ridden a Husky 250 so I can't compare the power to that. I've ridden thumpers mostly and every time I ride my WR it's fun. It's pure pleasure to ride.

I don't hate KTM, my daughter races one but only because Husky doesn't make a 85/105 WR. I'm not a bandwagon bike guy, I'm sure they are good bikes for some people. Besides, I like putting my Husky in the pumpkin patch at races.
  8. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You are easier to spot when working a check point LOL.
  9. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    I just went from an '05 KTM300EXc to an '09 WR300, and even though I have limited time on the WR, I think I like it better. I'll have a better opinion when I've had a chance to get the spenders and the jetting just right. It seems to have more power but that of course depends on how the PV is adjusted. One other thing, the Husky looks WAY better than the pumpkin IMHO...............
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I may have said this before but I'll tell it again because I like hearing it. I don't buy in to the low resale argument on KTM vs Husky... When you buy a comparable Husky $1,100 cheaper and the resale years down the road is $500 to $1,000 different the Husky wins that one every time. Plus the Husky owner can use his money to modify his bike making it a better bike all the while he's riding it.
  11. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks guys
    HB -- I dont like it either when bikes are written off due to a brand name - I hate it when people do it with huskies as they may be generalizing. I hate the orange but that can be changed .
    Id love a CR150 but there is the rego issue - it will limit my riding unless I get another dual sport bike as well - cant find a WRr 125 09 anywhere ( only Tasmania LOL )

I really think I am looking at either the WR 250 2010( 300 if deal is good) or Ktm 250 EXC 09 e start - and would love a clear tank
    I like the quietness of the ktm - but not sure which would be most nimble.
    ( BTW Just read a review of the 2012 KTM 2 stroke range and they are pretty damn good)
  12. Kreza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 KX80 2013 TM85
    I think Trooper Lu's has an XC 150 that is able to be rec registered????..............personally for me 4 stroke and plenty of cubes!
  13. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Define your 'fun' Rockdancer?

KTM 2t e-start is not all that is cracked up to be, the nylon gear tends to wear out and the OE battery is crap BUT if you use them from what they were intended to (kick start cold and use when hot or on the side of a hill), it works and would l love a Husky to have one - in a heartbeat.

KTM 2t's have pretty good hydro clutches and parts availability is everywhere although, and sometimes, the build quality is a bit of an issue but l would put this down to the bikeshop who assembles them as the motor's are strong.
    KTM300's they tend to overheat a bit (300's) in the snotty hills department or tight.

My preference is the WR300 due to the motor, the frame geo's are pretty much the same as the 250 so it's down to the characteristics of the 250 v 300

WR300/250 vs KTM25/300 - the low down grunt of the Husky wins out for me compared to a more topend orientated KTM.

Handling...coming off a 96 WR360, anything current is a god send:p

In fact, l would go a Berg TE300 (which is a KTM300) as that bike is vastly better than the KTM300 that it's based on.

PS. I HATE the KTM sidestand....awful!!!