Which GPS to get?

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by seymore, Aug 21, 2008.

1. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

What are the opinions on bar mounted GPS's?

I have used a Magellan Meridian for several years for both trail and road trips. It's B&W which gives it good sunlight contrast.

I would like to upgrade to something newer, but it seems like all the motorcycle GPS that I have looked at have poor to useless sunlight viewing. I am also not sold on touch screen for motorcycle application where you'll like have dirt or maybe water repellent on your glove. Some the better displays are on the handheld units, but the displays are often too same for viewing while moving at arms length.

The viewing issue seems to be with ratio of reflective to transmissive property of transflective LCD's. High transmission give good backing light, but poor or no external light viewing (like a PC display). High reflectivity looks better the brighter the direct light, but isn't as brightly backlit. Lower backlight would be ok for night time use compared to the needs inside a sun lit car.

Here is what I have looked at...

Garmin Zuno- poor sunlight viewing, expensive, good mount, no topo.
    Garmin Quest2- good sunlight viewing, display too small, expensive.
    Garmin ColaradoT-good sunlight viewing, display small, expensive goofy control knob.
    Garmin 60CSx- Small display, good sunlight viewing.
    Garmin Oregon- haven't seen.
    Garmin GPSMAP278,378,478- haven't seen, large display, designed for boating, but motorcycle friendly.

Magellan Crossover- no sunlight viewing, external power not sealed.

TomTom Rider- Haven't seen one.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    For more DS and street the Zumo is cool.

For all around use / off road and a very good / durable GPS The 60 CXS.

A friend just got the Colorado and loves it as well.

I just did all this research myself and got the 60CSX.

- BTW and 60CXS takes 2 AA batteries which i like as they can be bought anywhere in a pinch.
  3. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just go here:

www.cycoactive.com

They are very good on the phone, have heaps of expereince with GPS, etc.

I have run an older Garmin with a RAM mount for years, love it.

Choosing a GPS is like choosing a rear tire, it really depends on all kinds of things particular to the user.
    (cost, weight, screen size, color or not, functions, downloadable, power source, etc. are all part of the choice)

Bottom line is Garmin, RAM and Cycoactive are good names and a good place to start.
  4. Joliet Husqvarna
    AA Class

+1 I use mine hardwired without the batteries to keep it from shutting off due to vibration, but I carry 4 spare AA batteries with me always, for the GPS, FRC radios, flashlight, camera, SPOT satellite messenger, and anything else that I may carry that needs AA batteries.

On some rides I have been on, the only ride downloads available were for the Garmins, I would heavily consider staying with that brand.
  5. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    I have the garmin 276C and like it. It has a battery or can run off the bike. The large screen is great.

I was just riding with a guy that got a new Colorado. It's cool. The topo map is 3-D. The down side was that it fell out of it's mount. He wasn't even doing any ruff riding. Luckily somebody found it.
  6. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Topo is available for the Zumo and I have no problem with any sunlight viewing on my ZUMO. Depending on the sun angle you can change the angle of the GPS to resolve any issues.

Also, many Best Buys have been selling the Zumo at ~$450 .. reduced pricing.

Many of the smaller displays are very difficult to read at moving speed plus pressing small buttons does not compare to touch screen.

I paid $650 for mine and would buy it again without any hesitation.

[IMG]
  7. Low Down Husqvarna
    B Class

I have been thinking of pulling the trigger on the Garmin 60CSx myself. From what I understand, it is super sensitive and can take a beating as well. :D
  8. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Get a Garmin 60CSx. Have had mine for 1.5 years with over 20 crashises on it. 2 of them really bad, like the bike flipping end over end. Raced the 07 Baja 500 with it and a RAM mount. heald up great. It's a little scratched and worn, but still as accurate as the day I bought it. Also, the GPS software is not cheap from GARMIN, but if you want to contact me so i can explain why pirated software is bad, email me at Blake(at)oybro(dot)com ;)

-Blake
  9. Low Down Husqvarna
    B Class

It's settled then... I will get the 60CSx! If it is good enough for Blake and Cup Cake, then it will be perfect for me!
  10. Creeper Husqvarna
    AA Class

60CSx is hard to beat in a compact, super-durable unit... I upgraded from a GPS-V last year.
    The only thing I don't like is you can't change screen orientation from horizontal to vertical... but I've gotten used to it.:p

C
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Why i ota...

- i got the Gamin topo 08 maps on the net for $80 which i thought was OK.
  12. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

I ride with a guy who has a 60CS and loves it. Cabelas here in Boise has the 60CSx on sale for $349 with the Topo DVD.

North - How does the display look on your 276C in direct sun?
  13. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
  14. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Does the 276C display have good contrast in direct sunlight?
    How about glare?
    How is the backlight at night?

I like the bigger display and the landscape orientation. The bigger display is getting to be more important as my near vision goes to hell.:(
  15. justplayin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Great choice. I have 2 of them...well one is my Wife's. We have them mounted with the Touratech mounts (very expensive but a bullet proof work of art) and hard wired on our bikes. I had a GPS III for years and had absolutely no issues with it (except map storage).
    We also use the 60CSX for Geocaching. Putting together off roading and Geocaching is pretty cool. Less walking.....No need to scatch the truck;)
    Check E-bay. I bought both as Garmin refurbished, full warranty (same as new unit), everything included (except maps which you WILL need to get for most any unit) for $277 and $268 free shipping. Can't beat it:)

To get the full use, you need Topo and City Navigator. The Navigator you will have to buy, but if you can find someone with Topo already they do not need an "unlock" code so anyone can download it to any unit:D
  16. Low Down Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for all the great information on the 60CSx!!

:D
  17. Hoder Husqvarna
    B Class

The 276 is excellent in the sun and switches to a high-contrast backlit at sundown (user adjustable). I've never noticed any glare on the screen. Whatever your decision make sure you get one that has a track-back function if you do a lot of exploring.
  18. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    If it is a really bright day than it can be hard to see depending on the angle you are looking at it. (My screen protector does this, and or makes it worse.)

I did get this little visor for it that helps on bright days.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/sunshade.htm

I also have a screen protector on it. It's brighter without the protector.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/accessories/screenprotectors176.htm

I guess that the bottom line is that I can always see the screen.

Rick