1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Why black fuel tanks??!!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Oldscool, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Hi all. My bike has a black fuel tank which looks pretty in the sales brochure but makes gauging fuel level bloody difficult.

I'm toying with the idea of running some clear fuel hose from the fuel tap up to the breather hose. I would use the smallest diameter hose I can get and even think I'd need a restrictor of sorts in the hose at the breather end to limit the amount of fuel leaking out when the bike's resting on its side (I don't fall off, I just give the bike a rest ).

Has anyone tried this, did it work? Is there a better way to see fuel level?

BTW I've tried using a "float" in the tank but can only see it when I can see the fuel anyway.

Looking forward to you're thoughts and ideas.
  2. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Easiest....get some sort of an electrical device like your phone, or gps, etc to track how many miles you have actually gone during your ride. the 2.5gal tank is good for 50+ miles if jetted properly. I have gotten up to 58 before switching to reserve.
  3. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Chuck a ping pong ball in the tank.
    R-J van Hulst and 454x like this.
  4. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    one technical reason is the black makes the product uv stabilised . polyethylene / propylene are degraded by uv light . they put carbon in it and it will last for ever in the sun
    Rob09 and 454x like this.
  5. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    There is a thread on ADVRider of exactly what you are doing. Clear tubing to the outside of the tank.
    I'll post the link if i can find it.
  6. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    this goes back to 1987, when husky first used black tanks. hard to tell fuel level, but they hold up great. they previous white tanks looked great for only a short time then started turning brown. i will say my ol 87 is pretty easy to tell its level giving it a shake, as it has the old acerbis cap that is pretty large. keeping track of miles works well.
  7. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I see only increased risk with this approach, you make it only more vulnerable and when it breaks in case of a crash or fall you have intermediately fuel on places where you don't want to have it

Robert-Jan
  8. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Maybe carry a small one battery flashlight with you to help you see the inside of the tank. I use a flashlight to check my fuel level when gassing up my bike before a ride. The last four bikes I've had all had black tanks.
  9. NCSteve Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR300 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    02 XR250R 00 XR100R
    Easy, get an odometer, calculate your mileage, refill as necessary.

:cheers:
  10. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    yeah i agree speedo is easiest way to track mileage. if youre running stock wr tank(which actually holds around 10-10.5L) & mikuni then 100km inc reserve give or take 10km depending on riding style/conditions/terrain i found. much better with lectron, adds around 20-30km! obviously if riding deep sand WFO then those figures drop a fair whack. what about the ims clear tank? doesnt hold any more but clear for fuel check. maybe post up on here in classifieds, someone may have a spare or willing to sell theirs or swap for yours?!

in all honesty i used to always want a clear tank for checking level but once you know the bike you soon can reasonably accurately gauge the amount of kms you will get on the terrain & style of riding you are doing. most blokes i know with clear tanks rarely check them just go by speedos!

hows that 125 top end going on its way stateside to Walt-wheres it at?
    R-J van Hulst likes this.
  11. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    Yeah shawry. I think mileage check and fingers crossed is the way to go, which is what I was doing anyway . I wondered if there was a better way.........seems there isn't.
    Haven't checked on the parts progress mate. I'm using the "watched pot never boils" theory. If I keeps checking it I'll gets too excited too early.......and we know that never ends well. ;)
    shawbagga likes this.
  12. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Had ims clear tank but i let it go only recently.
    Im not a milage checker guy im a shake the bike humm half? Just under yeah that should do..
    Lights a good idea, the tube is also good but can you run it under the tank and up the frame that way it will be visible just behind radiator and protected during the bikes allotted rest period.?