1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Why Should I Buy A Husky Wr 300?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by 454x, Aug 21, 2011.

1. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Hey every one, been hanging out here for about 2 years and am seriously considering buying a used WR 300. I've been riding a 2006 KTM 300XC since July of 2007 so I know what to look for and what to expect good, bad and, otherwise if I buy another KTM.
    KTM PRO'S:
    adjustable powervalve
    dual map ignition
    sidepanel air box
    no linkage to grease
    lighter
    lighting coil
    4 position for handlebars
    interchangeability for transmission gears
    interchangeability for cylinders and heads
    KTM CON'S:
    powervalve pin can come loose and drop into tranny
    throttle cable can stick wide open and become stuck if not put back together properly
    bottom shock bearing goes out fast
    side panel for air box is a bitch to get back on
    front brakes suck
    rear fender to narrow lets to much roost by
    air filter can be a little tricky to put back in
    my 06 over heated once
    Help me fill in the pro's and con's for the Husky sinc I have no experiance with them.
    Thank's Tim.
  2. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Well, as a former Husky WR 300 owner... I think the fact that the Husky 300 can suck the orange out of the KTM plastic is a great starting point. Perhaps the only thing needed on some people's list. There's really no contest on which motor is more manly.
    454x and hogwackr like this.
  3. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If you are such a KTM fan , you don't need to ask .
  4. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    TROFFER88, That's the kind of reponse I would expect over on the Orange pages maybe you should sign up there, further more I just would like some more back round on the Husky thanks for not helping smart a**. Way to make a guy feel welcome! Krieg, good to hear the Husky has a strong motor my 06 xc was alittle sleepy.
    Clete likes this.
  5. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Just checking to see if you were serious or not .The 300 is nothing flashy just a good all around dirt bike . Welcome to the forum
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Welcome, or should I say welcome back :)

I did notice that you joined some time ago, but had not made a post until today.

What year WR300?

(be warned, I know little about 2strokes)
  7. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I interested in an 09 250 or 300 since you can make a 250 into a 300. I know so far that the 11 got an updated airbox and digital ignition. Curious as to how the digital ignition will make the bike run and why was the airbox updated. I would also like to know the gear ratio's of the 360 since that would be a mod i'm interested in. The WR gear box has a low 1-2 like the XCW but 3-5 is pretty close to the XC(short 5th BOO).
    Thanks,Tim.
  8. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    my 09 300 is just such a no brainer. I had a ktm 525 before this bike and it felt cramped to me. I am 5 11 and I could never quite feel comfortable on it. The Husky however I INSTANTLY felt comfortable. Another thing I really like is just how easy it is to work on and how simple the old school tech is. I ride almost every weekend in the cascade mtns and beat it to hell and the harder I ride the thing the better it seems to run. Suspension and handling and power I thought comperable to my friends 2009 KTM 300 but my bike was almost half the price and hella simpler to work on.

I ride such tight single track I rarely get it out of 3rd gear so not having 6 gear hasnt been to big an issue. The only two complaints I have...theres still no aftermkt oversized gas tank specifically for my bike. You can buy one for an 06 txc(I believe) but theres a inch and a half gap between the frame and tank. Kind of goofy solution and awkward if you ask me. And secondly I thought the cable clutch pull sucked so I bought a aftermkt hydraulic clutch. Alltogether I am happy with my decision. Bikes been indestructable so far. Just my un scientific opinon.
  9. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I am looking at both options ATM too .
    From what ive read and from experience with wr125 s i think the husky would be the most reliable . I am not a big fan of the kick start setup/position but you can adjust to that. Husky suits taller riders. The Husky may need a bit more fiddling with the Mikuni carb . I think the handling of the Husky would be better overall . Husky is noisier.
  10. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    @fire crotch you mean to tell me no IMS or Clark. I've seen two 09's for sale w/bigger tanks??? Your right about the Juice clutch they the Cats meow unless you run an auto which are equally sweet IMO. I totally forgot about the handling of my old katoom....good straight line but took a mile to turn ...@ rock dancer Didnt Fred Hoes go to like a million ISDE's on a husky 125?? I would love to try one especially w/the 167 kit from Uptite.
    Tim.
  11. motomaniac Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 RMZ450 2005YZ250 2001 EXC300
    I love my 2010 WR300, it's the best woods bike I've owned. I switched the carb to a 38 PWK right after break in (I'm just familliar with them). I sit closer to the tank to get the right kick angle for starting. My left hand is stronger now and I don't notice the hard clutch (and I adjusted to pushrod). The bike has a stock 120 watt stator, so no lighting issues. The only drawback to the bike IMO is the suspension, its older technology (single chamber forks). For the thousands of dollars I saved on the bike, that is not a bad trade off. I just Ironmanned a 24 Hour race on it and it didn't skip a beat.
    454x likes this.
  12. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motomaniac, that is great info, thank you.
  13. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    No I have an oversized tank now...its Just not specifically made for the 300. So the fit of it isnt flush up against the frame like say a ktm 300. So when you look at this pict the tank could probably be about an inch shrunk in of it was specifally made for it. Great bike though...best I have even owned so far.
    [IMG]
  14. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think if you do get a WR 250/300 you should probably go with a 2010 or newer. Unless it is a screaming deal on a '09. The digital ignition is supposed to be smoother and good for a little more power, I think the pipe may also be improved. It's a tough call and I rode a '12 ktm 250 XC yesterday in flip flops. Too soon to tell but the nastier the conditions the better for the Husky.
  15. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Awesome info guy's please keep it coming. I wonder if you could put the newer ignition on an older model?? Is the airfilter kept in by a spring or wing bolt? Also is it easy to get back into the airbox and positioned correctly?
    Thank's Tim.
  16. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

The ktm's need fans because they overheat fast. The husky doesn't!
    A raced a 200 mile enduro on mine. Didn't miss a lick! Hands down the best bang for the buck and best big bite smoker I have ridden. I haven't tried the gas gas 300 yet.
  17. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    The GasGas is a completely different animal than the Husky. The GG has much more subdued power. The GG handling is, IMHO, the best I've ever ridden in the woods. Not bashing the Husky, because if power is what you're looking for, the Husky is a certified rocket ship.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The WR300 is a hammer of a bike. Super reliable, needs nothing but some suspension love to be a GREAT do it all ride it forever bike. VERY solid platforms.
  19. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    My 09 WR 300 handles better than my YZ 250! I think the bike just fits me better, but I can rail turns and keep speed through them like I never could before on my YZ. even with risers and tall bars (im just shy of 6ft). It is also a super reliable bike. I did swap carbs to the Keihin, and jetted it...that's all for motor mods. Runs great, lots of power, lots of torque, great parts. The suspension works amazing too, if you have it set up for you. The "old school" forks are preferable for off road, but not so much for big hits like an MX track. Depends on what you do. I ride offroad, and they are amazing!
  20. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Buying a Husky is like going to 7-11 to pick out a slurpee on a hot day.

The yellow ones taste like bananas or lemons. You gotta monkey around with them or they're to sour!

The green ones taste like limes and are better with salt.

The orange ones taste bitter and go better with breakfast.

The blue ones taste like blueberry and all they do is turn your tongue blue.

Now the cherry red ones, that's a Husky!

125 is like to 20 oz. You down pretty quick!

250 is like the 32 oz . You can try to down it quick but you might have to stop for air!

300 is like the mega slurpee . The big daddy of them all! Down that to fast= brain freeze!

Morale of the story? Just buy a Husky cause they are sweet!

Welcome to Cafe Husky and you'll never find a better group of friends!