Winter desert ride

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Dirtdame, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I went out for bit of trail riding yesterday. I don't have woods or snow, but it was dang cold out there. I was hoping there would be snow, but the storm front didn't drop enough moisture for that. It certainly wasn't for lack of the right temperature. I love it when it's raining one second and the next, it's snowing. Not as much fun, if it turns to sleet. On the bright side, my drinks were nice and chilly when I got back to the Jeep. On the not so bright side, I was ready for some hot chocolate when I got back to the Jeep.:doh: Sorry about the green bike, but I wanted to do some single track and technical stuff with something light that had properly tuned suspension. Big H hasn't been tweaked for that yet:busted:

:DPitchurs here:
    http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6143&pid=60412&st=0&#entry60412
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    :confused:Sorry about the boring write up. I'll try to do better next time. I'll take a TE out next time, so the pictures will be prettier.:D
  3. Swampds Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice report. I am seriously jealous of the riding areas the weather looked perfect. Did you miss having your TE out there?

That was scary hearing about having the throttle stick, you are fortunate or lucky! You must have a kink in the cable. I would buy a new one and pay attention to routing it better.
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    All of that was inspected last time the throttle stuck. The cable is like new and it's pretty hard to have it get kinked or misrouted on a KDX. Actually there's a big photo at the end of the thread showing what will happen to the inside of your carb body as the hard chroming begins to flake and fall off your slide. Looks like it doesn't take very much of it to come off to start ruining your whole carb body or stick the slide. :thumbsdown:
  5. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

Wow DirtyD :applause:
    Those are some nice pictures, especially the ones with the huge boulders --> :cool:

Better luck next time with your camera lens, there’s a piece of greenery stuck on it and it shows in all the photos…:D

:thumbsup:
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
  7. rajobigguy Administrator

Looks like a good ride. One of these days soon I need to get out to McCain area.
  8. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Whn you want to ride it, let me know. I'm a good guide.:D
  9. rajobigguy Administrator

I'll be in touch shortly after the first of the year.:thumbsup:
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Its a great riding area with open trails to tight weaving ST to ugly rock climbs and descents. A little bit of everything with minimal chance for collisions unlike other ride zones around the county.
  11. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Hey DD. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

A lot of the riding areas posted on here look very similar to what we have up North here. But not where you ride.:D Besides the "Sagebrush" looking bushes in the first couple of pictures everything else sure is different.
    Great pics. (Well except that green thing in all of them)

:cheers:
  12. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4

I had originally put a used Keihin on my WR250 and had the same problem - the chrome peeling off of the slide would cause the slide to bind occasionally. After 2 nasty crashes, (and many hours trying to find the problem) I called CPW and spent the money on a new carb...
  13. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    And Dirtdame - thanks for the write up. We have 2 feet of snow on the ground here. Just seeing the bare dirt made my day better! :thumbsup:
  14. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    That area can get a few inches of snow, just enough for perfect winter fun. I just haven't seen any yet.
  15. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Nice RR. Guess the bike was getting anxious to ride and unloaded itself. Hope you get the carb all fixed up, we dont want to hear of it causing you any crashes. :( You could remedy the carb problem by trading it in on a new EFI Husky x-light. :D

We have similar weather up here. Oh how I love California. :usa:
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Looks like fun. :thumbsup:
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Most the ride here are 70 miles of seeing no one else. :cool:
  18. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Love those trails and scenery......

but I hate to think of a sticky throttle and those big bolders.....yikes
  19. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    or a cliff....or a barbed wire fence....or a dead tree (or a live one).:p
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Nice photos and story, Dirtdame!

Scary stuff with the sticky throttle, for sure. Eric had the same issue when we were riding super-gnarly sidehill single track in Idaho a few years ago. The consequences can be dire, indeed! Turns out the cable was fraying inside and catching on the internal housing.

I love the photos of your bike in the boulders, and I really liked the one of your KDX being dragged along by your Jeep. That, right there, is my worst nightmare when we have our MotoJackRack on the front of our van. It's one thing to cause a pile-up behind you, but quite another when it falls off right in front of your very own vehicle :lol: We've never had any problems with it, it has been rock solid through some pretty hellish terrain, but I still worry about it sometimes.

Hey, go back to that little slot in those big boulders and take some good photos of your Husky, will ya?

WoodsChick