1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Wont start

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by GhostRider32, Dec 21, 2013.

1. GhostRider32 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX250
    Hi all. I'm a little frustrated. I just bought a 2014 wr300 and I can't get it to start now. It was really hard to get to start at the dealer but I bought it anyway knowing that the carb is a known issue. Well, I get home and do the jdjetkit and it started (still hard but not as hard) and seemed to run better but now wont start at all. Not even a burp. I've changed the plug twice and verified spark. The plug didn't appear to be wet or smell like gas so I'm not sure it's getting any/enough gas. I'm wondering if I did something wrong....... At this point, my foot is so sore I cant kick for another day......

I have debated just ordering a Lectron or a Keihen pwk Airstriker from JD jetting but wanted to ask you guys first. What should I look for?
  2. GhostRider32 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX250
    Also, when I washed it a little water got on the air filter and I dried it off. This has happened to me on my kx but I was able to start it the next day with no issues?......Please help.....
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    try leaving the plug in and a spare to check spark, it will give you a better indication at true kicking speed
    I am assuming you know to leave the throttle alone when starting with enrichener circuit
    after turning on the fuel I wait a few minutes and pull the enrichener, kick it slowly a couple times and boot it, typically it starts
    there was a problem with the ignitions on these at one time
  4. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    The only time I had a hard time starting mine was after sucking water in in a creek. I never had an issue after washing it and I use a pressure washer. Lean the bike over before starting it and make sure fuel comes out of the overflow hose of the carb. The 300 needs to be kicked a certain way. I've never had trouble starting mine, with the stock carb or Lectron. But, when I let buddies ride it most of them can't start it. I walk over and start it in one kick. It doesn't need to be kicked fast over and over again like I see some guys kick. Just one good kick backwards like a mule should do it. If you are under 6' it will be a little tough to start until you get it figured out. Also, do you have a headlight installed on yours? If so, you need to install a switch to turn it off to start the bike. Mine won't start with the headlight on.
  5. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Did the JD kit include the pilot? How confident are you that the carb settings (idle, air screw) are right?

I had a lot of (starting) trouble with my WR when it was new. About half of it was just me learning how to start it, the other half was that these bikes aren't easy to start. I think you just have to suffer through it. At one point I think I had a bruise on the bottom of my foot from kicking the damn thing.

Mine is also a bitch to start if the headlight is on. It definitely can be done, but it's easier without it. With the headlight off, I can start it in 1-2 kicks; with it turned on, sometimes it takes 5+.
  6. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    I kicked the bike for a buddy to ride it when I had some running shoes on. Last time I'll ever do that!
    Long_Stroke, Dirtdame and juicypips like this.
  7. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    If you're lucky, you'll get the dreaded kickback when you're wearing sneakers, and be limping around for 3 days. Don't ask how I know...
    Long_Stroke and Dirtdame like this.
  8. GhostRider32 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX250
    Thanks for the replies guys. I did put the included pilot in. What's strange is after I installed the kit, it started and ran for a bit then the next morning after sitting overnight it wouldn't start.

Let me make sure I understand an earlier comment, when the choke is on I'm not supposed to give gas when kicking, correct?
  9. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    I start mine wearing sandals quite often. Definitely couldn't do that with my old KLX650R.

Yes, usually. If it's flooded from all the starting attempts you may have to hold it wide open.
  10. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    What these guys have said. Another tip is to align your groin atop the fuel cap. This gives you most leverage on kicker due to its odd placement. I've got five hours on mine and on the red needle # 3 it's too rich! Spooge city so gonna go one clip leaner (upwards). If no better may go white # 4. If no better may switch back to stock nozzle R-8.

Also, I either wear calf-high rubber construction boots with thick sole or buckle up my MX boots. I have no foot pain this way. :D
  11. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    had my 300 for four years now. kick start it at home in sandals etc all the time. The trick is tdc. tdc tdc tdc. you do it right and the bike wont bite you. As a matter of fact in the trail it annoys everyone because i play with the kick starter every single time until its tdc then i kick it(not even hard either).First kick every single time.
    Eaglefreek likes this.
  12. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

no gas when the enricher (choke) is on due to its design it does not want throttle or it defeats the circuit, if its flooded you turn it off and and crack the throttle about 1/4, but you said your plug was dry so no throttle will make it work correctly

question what was the original jet and what did you install
  13. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    also, the more i think about it the more i realize I dont believe this bike will start UNLESS its at tdc.
  14. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    filters not over oiled is it? water got through the filter into engine? killswitch? dodgy plug cap?
  15. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
  16. GhostRider32 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX250
    Thanks for all of the help guys. I'm going to try these things. The original main was a 420 and at my altitude that's what jdjetting recommends. I'm not sure what the pilot was but I did install the one jd sent.
  17. GhostRider32 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 KX250
    One other thing that is irratating is that I got the usb stick with the service manual on it but after I took it out of the package and tried to open the service manual it shows that the file is corrupted. Would any of you guys be able to send it to me as a abobe doc in my email?
  18. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

talk about insult to injury
  19. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

the pilot jet controls the mixture from closed throttle to about 1/8 throttle so it is the jet for mixture to start your engine, you would be wise to find the one you removed and compare it with the one that was supplied and also cross reference the jet table in the owners manual for altitude and temperature compensation, on a cold day you need more fuel
    ray_ray likes this.
  20. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    Stock is 45 and JD is 32.5. Big switch but JD has richer nozzle and needle too. I've scanned my USB flash drive and it's corrupt too. Could use a manual over here too. :doh: