1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WR 125 better, but.....

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by WR BOB, Aug 16, 2009.

1. WR BOB Husqvarna
    A Class

After a week with my bike at Upstate for the upgrade kit install, I took the WR to Carolina Adventure World today for my first real ride. I stayed on the MX course most of the two hours I was there.

The powerband seems better, but it still has a dead spot from time to time. The only way I can get full power is to nail it wait, wait, then it gets on the pipe (old school talk for full power), and the only way to keep it there is to hold it wide open through the gears and never let off through the gears. If you let off for a mil-a-second while changing gears, then you have to wait, wait again in the next gear.

When it decides to stay on the pipe, it is a whole different bike and fast as heck. You just can't make it get there without a lot of waiting and if you slightly let off for another gear, you have to start all over again. Is this new school two-stroke power bands?

Had I know it would take four months to get it running properly, I would have made a different purchase. I've email Upstate to see what they suggest next. This bike was their first upgrade kit and have been great to work with.

The day wasn't a total loss, I did get to ride my 1975 CZ 250 Falta for a few laps. Now there's a good power delevery machine. Wish the Husky was that responsive!!

As usual, any comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

WR Bob
  2. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Mine did the exact same thing.....after the update....its a very sensitive bike to jet

I ended up with the needle in the middle.... 30 pilot and 450 main....but where I am at is a different climate....you need to experiment with it a bit..and you'll get it...lots of guys say a 32.5 pilot is good too

mine sings like the Andrews sisters now.....

now thats old school....:busted:
  3. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Does anyone have the new pipe yet?

Walt
  4. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    :excuseme: not yet
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I was told that it was 2 weeks out when I bought last week. I haven't been waiting for months so it isn't bothering me,,,, yet.

Walt
  6. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Bob, have you tried raising the needle a clip?
  7. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes I second that.....

the old adage...thou only make one change at a time....
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    You've got something out of wack.... Temp, altitude, present jetting specs? My bike is very responsive. You can get in too high a gear sometimes, but snick it down a gear or clutch it and it's right there.
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

It sure sounds like the a lean mid-range to me too. Definitely try one slot at a time on the needle. Do I dare raise the spectre of a reed valve issue if it is not jetting related? I thought the new V-force 3 reeds had eliminated the old issues.

Walt
  10. John47 Husqvarna
    B Class

2009 wr 125

Mine did the same thing, very annoying! Spent hrs. jetting and ended up with 35 pilot 6dey15-47 needle, clip 4th down from the top, 440 main.40 slide. Can't seem to get a pipe so I added 15mm. to the header and 15mm to the start of the mid cone, Helped alittle. Also took out the power valve spring and removed some metal from the out side coils. Wanted to lighten it up. That helped alittle. Next I'll try a CR ignition, and if that doesn't do it the bikes up for sale. Also raced it hard today in an enduro, the tank went dry in 30 miles. Bummer!!!
  11. WR BOB Husqvarna
    A Class

Guys I emailed Gerald at Upstate last night. He's going to pick the bike up today and make whatever changes to take it right. He assured me when I picked it up, it was running great and I beleive him. I'll pass along the info you guys have provided.

I'm the bike manager at a triathlon shop here in Charlotte and I know what a pain it is trying to make customers happy when the manufactors screw up. It's a loose loose situation for both parties. From what I can see whether it's moto's or bicycles, it's the price we pay for technology. Back in the 70's and 80's when I raced two stokes I never remember rejetting or moving needle clips.

Thanks again for all the help!

WR Bob
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I was just talking to Drew Smith at the Speedsville enduro... We both love our WR125's and really didn't have that much of a problem even before the PV update. My bike runs perfectly with lots of power and will lug when you want it to. It's a 125, so you better be in the right gear, but snick it down a gear and the power is right there. Only thing is the fuel mileage.... I haven't been riding any enduros this year, just trail riding and doing my club's enduro trail work, so haven't tried to figure mpg. I seem to put a lot of fuel in the bike though.

I'm running... Power up needle, clip 2nd position from top, 450 main, 4.0 slide, 45 pilot and air screw 1.5 (varies with air temp, humidity and air filter condition.) My first thought in the past would have been to go way down on the pilot. Harvey the mechanic at Bottone's, who is a 125 and its big bore variant expert said no, leave the standard Power Up 45. The rest are also his settings and it runs like a raped ape. I don't want to ever get rid of this bike!

If you never played with carb settings in the 70's and 80's.... you weren't riding a 125!
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Try both slides and different needle positions. i found the rich slide (4.0) provides more mid. I am getting right at 25 mpg but running the 5.0 to get it and it does leave a very slight flat spot in the mid.
  14. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

On both my 2006 and 2008 CR 125 i get between 20 to 25 MPG at a desert race
  15. WR BOB Husqvarna
    A Class

Norman I need to come up and ride your WR or someone who's runs like a raped anything. I get excited just reading about how you guys 125's run. I forwarded you comments to Gerald.

Funny, I rode mostly 125's in the 70's, later 250's, 360's. Rickman was my best ever ride, several Yamaha 125's and one 125 Bull that had a 200 kit installed. Never touched a carb and won plenty local MX races. Heck if had had know how to jet a bike, I might have won a national! Just kidding. I'm just glad I got you guys for a support group and I'll keep you posted on the progress.

WR Bob
  16. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I don't know about you guys, but if I have any issues at all with that TMX, I have an airstriker 38mm PWK in the drawer that will be bolted on in a heart beat. I just refuse to put up with a carb that either won't idle or runs too lean to get it idling at 8000+ feet of elevation which is 50% of my riding.

Walt
  17. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Reading all the comments I was wondering if there was not something still wrong with your bike beside jetting.
    I'll have to watch where mine starts to rip, cuz it doesn't happen below 4500-5000 rpm that's for sure. It's OK and will lug pretty low now,with the new PV in. But the transformation from that to "Hitting the power band"
    (which is about 5000rpm) is mind boggling. Above that this bike is rocket.

It's just very hard coming off my 510 tractor which works any where from 1900- red line.:D

Maybe the new exhaust will help things down low.
    :cheers:
  18. WR BOB Husqvarna
    A Class

Part of my problem is that I'm out of the loop when it comes to newer two stroke powerbands. I came from a new DRZ 400 with a pipe and rejetting that ran great, I own a 1200GS and Falta Replica. I never rode anything two stroke before buying my WR125. Before the upgrade kit it never let you get to the top of the powerband. Yes it is a rocket when it does get there.

It runs fine through the gears in tigher stuff, but the only way I could get it on the top of the powerband was to run it down the drag strip at CAW. As crazy as it may seem, my 75 250 CZ powerband is always there and usable bottom to top. Yea it hits hard but you don't have to wait, wait and it will stay there.

I would never buy Orange, but a Red four stroke is in the back of my mind. I'll give the little Red guy one more try. Thanks for your comments Dude and everybody.

WR Bob
  19. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have owned about 6 different year Husky 125's going back to 1982. Discounting the swedish ones...the italian built take a while when new to have the rings seat. I know this sounds crazy but, when they do..you literally "feel" them set in and the bike become that much tighter, snappier, and peppier. I know this sounds weird but. Also remember..it is a 125 and don't make much below 5000.
  20. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not sure if its worth mentioning......but

Perhaps something we havent touched on....is that riding a 125 is a different animal altogether....although the WR does lug surprisingly well and responds well to small throttle inputs....it really flies when you anticipate ahead of time and use healthy amounts of throttle....they do have to be ridden fairly aggressively...

but then thats half the fun....:devil: