1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WR 125 Help?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by BendEuroMoto, Oct 14, 2009.

1. BendEuroMoto Husqvarna
    A Class

Hello everyone,

Some of you may know me, some not. I own Bend Euro Moto. We sell a lot of street legal Husqvarna's, but hardly any 2 strokes. I am a Master Ducati tech. with a lot of experience in 4 strokes, tons of 4 stroke experience actually. I have never owned a modern 2 stroke and have had a couple of old Husky's and a 2 stroke scooter, but they never needed much tuning.
    I usually have at least one guy working for me who does all the two stroke stuff, but not right now.

I replaced the top end on a WR 125. It is the 2nd top end this thing has ate in about 50 hours of use. I found out the owner was riding WFO on the highway with it each time it seized. He now has a four stroke and I have his 125. I may keep it for my wife to ride, and for me to ride when we are going to areas with tight trails.

I have the jetting pretty close but I have some issues still.

I am at 3500 feet and it is about 50 degrees out, some humidity (it is actually raining on and off but we are basicly high desert)

I am running a 380 main, 30 pilot, and needle on the 4th (one lean from middle) clip. It ran better on the middle clip. screw is at 1.5 turns

It goes like heel until I try to climb a hill a low speeds. I end up having to clutch it and rev it way up to keep moving. I also have quite a lag when going from idle and rolling on more throttle.

I am using the Jetting off the chart in the 2008 owners manual (bike is an '06) Have any of you guys used the jet chart, and is it close? I certainly made a big improvment from the 400 main and 35 idle that was in it but in reading some of the posts on WR's, it seems like others are running much richer mains at simular elevations.

I am also unsure about the two hoses from the exhaust valve. One is obviously a drain (plug in the end) but the other just hangs down and is open. What is that hose for? Is it just susposed to be an open hole?
    Also when I pulled the drain after about a 1/4 tank of fuel, about a half a cup of two stroke tar dripped out, normal?

I am using non ethanol 92 octane fuel with Motul 800 synthetic oil mixed 25:1 (manual says 25:1 break in 30:1 after that) I thought these things were susposed to run like 50:1? What do you guys mix to?

How much should I have to clutch the bike to keep moving on a hill? I weight 200 with gear on and am generally moving pretty fast as I approach a hill, but the whole point of having a 125 for me is to be able to ride really really tight trails were lots of momentum is not possible.
    I read several posts where guys are claiming their 125's pull hard from almost idle, this one will not.

Any advice from an expert tuner would be greatly apreciated.
  2. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

not sure on your jetting issues,but momentum is huge for any 125! without momentum you will end up wailing on the clutch the whole way up a large hill
  3. BendEuroMoto Husqvarna
    A Class

I am not sure the issue is actually jetting anyways. I need to take it out to the trails this weekend. My test area around the shop is sand, turned to mud, with big hidden sharp rocks and construction debrise. I can't go fast through it on anything except maybe my TC thats has been converted to a TXC minus e-start and the 6th gear, and that is only because the suspension is spot on.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Jetting - Try a larger pilot, 32.5 seems good in these. I would go bigger on the main as well. What slide, that is very important. Stock pipe / muffler? (very sensitive to that)

Gearing - run as low gearing as you can stand on top. This will allow you to be more in the meat of the power on hills. This is important. When we say pulls from the low end we mean for a 125, these things are pretty weak compared to other larger bikes.

Reeds - check that they are OK. Buddy had a 125 that would fall on it's face down low, his reeds were not sealing well.

Time - You kinda have to spend time on a 125 to sort it out on how to ride it. Not usually a bike you can get on and rail unless it is flat or down hill. Takes a different approach / technique.

We need to hook up for a ride some time. :thumbsup:
  5. BendEuroMoto Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes, we do need to ride. I don't think youv'e ever been into our shop, and I know you've been over to Bend a few time this year.

I have the number 2 slide, stock pipe, stock muffler.
    The reeds are in good shape they appear to seal well.

I could go out and rail on the bike and have fun the way it runs now, but I geuss I have it in the back on my mind that it is going to seize again, although I am pretty sure it seized because it was run at highway speed for 15 minutes straight (it has a plate).

What is the other hose from the exhaust valve for?
  6. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

pretty sure you are NOT supposed to run a two stoke at a steady throttle down the road,I thought I heard that it leans out your bike very quickly,better off to modulate the throttle to prevent seizing it
  7. BendEuroMoto Husqvarna
    A Class

Well, the kid who's daddy bought it for him didn't know that. It is nice to have the plate on it, but only to get from the RV park to the trail.
    I rode it on a few errands and more people stop and watch a 2 stroke bike ride by than stop and watch a $75,000 Ducati D16RR