1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WR 125/WR 150 short term/long term fix?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by dartyppyt, Dec 5, 2011.

1. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    If I purchased a 2012 Wr 125/Wr 150. This is what i'd try as a short term solution:

1.) Go online to Honda CR 125 years 02/03. Order a Mikuni TMXX needle (6DGY21-69) $10.58. Match this needle up to your stock 4.0 slide. Lets richen this up a little on the bottom to get your flywheel/ throttle response improved. Would try a 460 main and 45 pilot. I think you'll go down on pilot size. I think just going from a 74 to 69 needle will help. If it doesn't work, hey you are only out $10 bux!

2.) Order Walt's (Wallybean) spring kit from Hall's $60 Bux. Take your powervalve adjustment arm off. Scribe it from the center of adjustment slot all the way to the top in about 2mm increments, then re install it with adjustment bolt, dead center. Look to see which scribed line that the crown of the bolt lands on. Install your stock spring and Walt's Silver spring. We are going to slow your powervalve timing down for the flywheel to catch up. Keep your powervalve cover off and ride the bike. Try moving your crown of your adjustment bolt up a couple mm at a time. I think you'll land with bolt about 3/4 ish up the slot. This is a pain to get at bolts, but you can do it.

Okay, you have about $75 invested. Worth a shot!

Mid Term fix:

1.) Go online to Suzuki RM125 year 04. Order a Mikuni TMXX needle (6CHY16 - 62) $15.00.

2.) Call around to Husky Dealer and try to find a 5.0 TMXX slide. Couple of last guys I did, found one @ Hall's for $50 Bux.

Okay, you have about $65 invested. If you go this route at the get go, with Walt's spring kit. You'll have about $125 invested.

Long term fix:

1.) First time you piston ring your bike, Install the .4 Base gasket. This will bump your compression and lower port timng. This gave my old WR a little more umf off bottom.

2.) Send your TMXX carb off to RB and get the divider/low circuit mods. (The TMXX likes this mod). I think it is $125.

I run 40:1 after break in. I use 93 pump gas/3 oz. of Maxima Octane booster.

Here is how I jet and I do it half ass backwards. For the low end circuit, I set my airscrew @ 1 1/2 - 2 turns out and don't touch it. Needle clip in middle, probably a 45 pilot. Then ride the bike, if it bludders/hesitates on bottom then it is rich. I will raise my clip and also drop pilot sizes. If it is lean/bogs/or ring dings letting off gas. I lower my clip and raise pilot sizes. I try to get my carb set to the air screw. Do plenty of plug chops. Then I go set my mains.

3.) Or, If you are a PWK fan, try the Kit from Motosportz/JD needles. PM Dwight Rudder (Vinduro) and he is using the PWK 36 with the KTM NOZ needles. I think it is what ever carb you preference. There are tons of settings that everyone has posted that will help.

4.) Tip, the powervalve setting, carb, carb settings all have to agree.

5.) Walt (Wallybean) has a way with doing his magic to the powervalves, this helps as well.

Feel free to chime in and there are so many posts of members doing this and that, for improved performance.

I think Kelly once said/others. Seems like the new machines come detuned? I have been thinking about a new 449 or 511. Looks like I'll have to spring of the bat for the JD Tuner? Also, go thru the other forums. I don't think there is a bike that you buy nowadays, that doesn't need some tuning.

Plus, there are head mods, big bore mods and etc....... Almost the sky is the limit on this forum.
    CelticDude likes this.
  2. chuck r Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR144 WB
    Thanks for the write up. I did the RM needle. Higher compression. 144 kit. run race gas, wally's spring kit. seems to have worked!!:)
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have personally road a 2012 at the Dealer /Press meeting and the bike worked great STOCK
    I felt no reason to change it.Road it back to back against my 2008 CR 125 the same bike that has won 2 different National # 1 plates and they were close
    Maybe you should try to ride it first before you spend more money
  4. CelticDude Historically Fast!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    x
    Well, I certainly rode mine first and it sucked. But then, I didn't have some factory mechanic to setup the power valve properly or rejet the carb properly. :doh:
  5. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

I rode my '12 stock and it was unridable and I had the chance to try another '12 my dealer just got in the other day and it was the same as mine so I seriously doubt that the WR125 at the event was not tweaked. They are in the business of sales do you think they are going to admit that a brand new bike needs to be massaged just to be ridable?
  6. chuck r Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR144 WB
    Get in touch with Wally Bean. He will make you love the wr!!!