1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st WR 250/ 300 ducati ignition fault fix??

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by broken biker, Aug 5, 2013.

1. broken biker Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1994 TE 610 2012 WR 300
    My 300 had 600km on it when the stator was replaced under warranty.The spark is still thin,pale blue & its still difficult to start,although better than before.My research indicates the ducati energia ignition causes various ongoing problems & i want to know if the 2010 & earlier ignition{kokusan?}will fit so i can ride this bike without it dying again.
  2. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    The Ducati ignition on my bike works fine, except for one thing (see below).

When you are trying to start your bike, are all the lights on? I have found that on my bike, if the headlight and taillight are on, it is significantly harder to start. I installed a switch on my headlight so I can turn it off when starting (and I leave it off when I am in the woods, which is most of the time), and it significantly helps.

Sometimes I will ride a road section and forget that the light is on, shut the bike off, and forget to turn the switch off. Then I'm kicking it thinking "this thing is being a bitch," remember the switch, flip it, and it starts first kick. So, it definitely helps.

My long-term plan is to swap a tiny LED in for the running light and keep that connected at all times. That way, I can be "legal" without any significant current draw, and I can turn the actual headlight only if it's getting dark.
    broken biker likes this.
  3. Danne1 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 2009, WR 250 2011
    Hello, My WR 250, 2011 has the same problem with the ignition. I have already purchased a new stator and it has faild.
    So yes older kokusan stator from 1992-2010? will fit BUT you have to change cdi box and coil for it to work.
    In my case even a trail tech regulator to get real light, xenon.
    So it can be costly.
    broken biker likes this.
  4. broken biker Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1994 TE 610 2012 WR 300
    Thank for reply.My WR300 seems to start easier with the standard headlight turned off.I to was leaving headlight off all the time unless dark
  5. broken biker Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1994 TE 610 2012 WR 300
    I am convinced that a technical/electrical problem exists with the ducati ignition & i for one had a enormous amount of trouble starting my WR300 from new.The longer this ignition has been fitted to the WR250/300 - 2011/2013 the more ignition faults surface on cafe husky.I am in 2 minds in regards to spending more money on my husky after having 3 top end warranty repairs in 600kms & 1 stator warranty repair.does the wiring loom have to be replaced as well?
  6. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My 2010 WR 300 has the electronics from a 2002 CR250 runs great never a problem in 3 years
    also I use a stock carb off a 2006 WR250 together they seem to work great
  7. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    My bike has been bulletproof, now at about 1200 miles (maybe 60 hours?), everything is original. Starts easy with the headlight turned off and jetted correctly.
  8. Tunnan Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Does anyone know how to measure the resistance of the stator? How high will the resistance be? Can not find this in any manual!
  9. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Could you guys having problems put an 09 one your bikes? My 09 wr300 has been flawless. I have the trailtech h2 light and always leave it on both lights, have wired my gps explorer, blinkers, grip heaters, rear tail light all up to the yellow wires going up front and back. Never an issue at all.
    454x and lankydoug like this.
  10. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Any chances that the ducati ignition could be swapped out for the older version? Say a 2010 or 2009 one? I ask since my dealer has a new WR300 for an OTD price of $5400 including tax, title and a PLATE! I am seriously tempted here!:busted:
  11. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    check the harness for chafing, mine wore through and was grounding out slightly causing a similar issue.
  12. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Not sure if your response was to the question I asked above but I don't own a WR300 yet. I was asking if it is possible to swap out a newer Ducati ignition for the older tried and true version, at least without too much hassle.
  13. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800

For each guy having trouble with the Ducati ignition, there are probably 10 guys for whom it's working fine. There is a thread on here about switching to the older CR ignition, but in any case I wouldn't let the ignition dissuade you from picking up the bike!
    reveille likes this.
  14. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    paid same for my 2014 WR300 in December (with plate). Still happy with it and I change bikes around ALOT! :thumbsup:
  15. Glenn haynes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 yz250f 08yz85 11ktm 65 09 ktm65
    I was responding to original post
  16. msmith345 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '12 WR250, '92 360, '80 390
    Other Motorcycles:
    '72 Yamaha R5, '17 SV650

Yes. '93-'10 should all work fine. Be sure you get all 4 parts: 1. Stator, 2. Flywheel, 3. CDI, 4. Coil. The coil is pretty much a universal part, but the stator, flywheel and CDI need to be all matched. i.e. you can not run a Ducati flywheel with the Kokosun stator, or vice versa. And the timing pickups may vary between years and models, so that's why the CDI needs to be matched for the stator/flywheel.

I still don't trust the Ducati piece fully, but especially if looking for a WR setup, you should be able to find one of the older ones if needed. The CR ones are the more difficult to find.
    broken biker likes this.
  17. snj Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    11 + sold
    Paid 6100 out the door w/ tax and tags. So 5400 sounds like a smoking deal!!