1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR 250 AC to DC conversion trailtech regulator/rectifier and Battery

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Rich DiMauro, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Rich DiMauro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr 250
    I have a 2010 wr 250 that is plated for the street.. Just got my trail tech regulator and trail tech 3700ah battery that im putting in the airbox...

Does the WR float the ground? or should everything be grounded to the frame {like it is now?} I saw a guy posted a link to a write up of someone who did an 04 and everything was grounded to the frame..wasnt sure if all wiring was the same for 2010....
    I have 2 yellow wires on the regulator and at a quick glance 1 only see 1 yellow wiring from the stator but i haven't pulled everything completly apart.... I called trailtech but unfortunate they were as of no help.... Thanks in advance for any help!!
  2. Rich DiMauro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr 250
    Actually i take that back... everything may be grounded off the original regulator.... I dont think so but it may be possible ill have to check
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Your stock electrical system is AC power and has a floating ground, so it's ground to the frame. I could be wrong, but I don't think the CDI unit will run off DC power, so you'll have to maintain an AC circuit for it. That means everything on the DC side will need it's own ground wire back to the DC system.
  4. Rich DiMauro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr 250
    So basically keep all the dc stuff grounded togethor from the the battery and regulator ground? not on the frame?
  5. Fat Tire Flyer Husqvarna
    AA Class

My buddy GrahamM is the one who wrote that post: 04 WR250 Conversion to 12V DC with Battery .. I have a 2007 WR250 and bought a Trail Tech regulator.. And someday plan to do the conversion also but just been to busy..

I was wondering the same thing as you about "float the ground".. So I phoned Trail Tech and talked with Chris Miskell (engineer who designed the regulator).. Chris told me that the way GrahamM did it will not work.. And you have to do it another way (see pdf file below)..

I have ridden with GrahamM when he rode that bike so I know it worked (for him anyways).. But Chris Miskell says you have to do it the pdf way..

Attached Files:

6. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    That's how I did mine, but I haven't hooked up the battery yet, but the lights are running off of DC without any issues.
  7. Rich DiMauro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr 250
    It looks like your buddy Grahamm grounded the extra yellow wire right to the frame and the other yellow to the existing power output on the stator... He didn't say what he did with the ground but I'm assuming something closed loop through the regulator and battery, i would wonder if that would wreak havoc with the cdi being grounded to the frame? he also mounted it in the stock position which I think would ground the unit on the frame ,, I've seen some mention of mounting it in the air box so it isn't grounded , of all the searching I've done I'm surprised no on has a direct awnser ? But floating the ground to the other yellow wire seems to come up... Sorry for the confusion I have everything on my bench ready to go but don't want to dig into it untill I have a plan
  8. Flying-W Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    I have worked with Chris on the customer side of our (Racers Under The Son, Oregon) relationship with Trail Tech for 7 years. He has never been wrong on his technical advice, so be encouraged there to follow his directions.

Rich, floating the ground is not really super alien technology (I did it to my Japanese WR in '05 and wife's KDX last year). Floating the ground on a DC system means that all ground wires are attached to a continuous circuit (wire) that leads only to the negative terminal of the battery. No ground leads within the system are attached to the frame.

Attached Files:

9. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I installed a Baja Designs kit with battery on a '00 WR250 in '01. It has a floating ground.
  10. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
  11. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    Another great Dual sport system is Trick Dual Sport from Dale Mazorow,he builds an awesome kit,very light weight, compact and simple..I've had it on my 04 CRF for 8 yrs now and not one problem ever..He can build a kit for any bike.. Hes in ACTON,CA. The company name is ANGEL SCIENTIFIC.. dale@trickdualsport.com Ph# 661 268 1094 Tell him Kelly Forte' sent you his way..
  12. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Floating the ground is done on a AC coil where one end of the coil's wire is grounded to the stator plate, and the other end is the only AC source wire leaving the coil. The correct way to do it IMO is to unground the grounded end at the stator plate, attach the proper gauge wire to it and run it up with the other original AC wire. Attach each to a yellow wire fron the TT reg/rec. The Reg/rec ground wire will go to the battery neg, and the reg/rec charge wire to the battery pos. All DC circuits should ground ultimately to the battery neg, as Flying W said, and none will ground to the frame. I've done it several times when adding AC lighting coil to Honda CR's, and also did it to my 12 Husky CR144. I don't have a WR or a wiring diagram for one so these are "general" recommendations and I can't be sure I'm not missing anything on the WR. Also in the interest of weight I have always used a Capacitor in place of a battery.
    uranys and K.Forte' like this.
  13. Rich DiMauro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr 250
    Thanks guys I appreciate all the Info and help! That will be a project this week for me!
  14. Rich DiMauro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr 250
    I think The fly wheel is puller is 22x1.25 ? Can I order a motion pro or aftermarket puller from my local parts unlimited guy ( he gets them next day)? Any specific brand? Thanks
  15. Rich DiMauro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr 250
    photo (84).JPG Ok here is the stator... Im assuming the red wire thats screwed through the stator to the stator plate is the ground wire i need to disconnect and attach to the other yellow wire on the regulator/rectifer? i dont see anything that is connected anywhere else or soldered to the stator like the ktm's ...
    The ignition stays seperate running ac and grounded to the frame like it is?
    All of my lights and accessories are all grounded through the battery and regulator no where grounded through the frame?....
    Of all the searching ive done. there is nothing explaining how to do this on the husky 2 stroke... Some people say "float the ground" and others that have done it have been successful just grounding it like this http://www.bajadesigns.com/Resources/en/ItemDocuments/122004/DC Voltage Regulator Installation.pdf
  16. Rich DiMauro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr 250
    Just talked to a guy at Baja Design... He said to not disconnect the ground from the stator ,, he said run the yellow wire to one yellow input and ground the other to the frame... Black and Red to the battery and keep all accessory grounds common to the battery and regulator... Not grounded to frame... leave the coil/kill grounded to the frame as is
    The guy at Trail tech this am couldnt give me any info, or he just didnt know?... Ill keep to myself other than that
    Sorry for the babbling post's but if i can help the next guy out that wants to do this, then that what the forums are all about! If someone looks at this and says whoah thats wrong the ground needs to be floated Please let me know before i sit down and get this thing back together tommorrow night
    drhek and fastkx125 like this.
  17. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    That is how I wired mine with the TT regulator.

Yellow/1 = stator
    Yellow/2 = frame ground
    Red = Battery +
    Black = Battery -
    Red/Yel = Accessory +

Then ground all the accessories back to the battery.

My stuff stays on for 15 seconds after the bike shuts off then turn off since I used the red/yellow for power.
  18. Rich DiMauro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr 250
    Thanks for the reply Im not going to use the accessory wire... i have an on off switch im using for the led tail / Brake light 5 watt running light for headlight and the horn/turn signals - The headlight will be wired to the normal multi function switch off low and high...
  19. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Didn't I tell ya? :lol:
    Xcuvator likes this.
  20. Rich DiMauro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr 250