1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR 250 boggy motor down low

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Robracer, May 20, 2012.

1. Robracer Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 Track Bike
    Bit of a weird one but was at the end of a ride today going back a main dirt road heading back to the van & the motor almost died & became boggy like the fuel was cut off, I hit reserve & it was the same (plenty of fuel in the tank) had to stop as there was no throttle response, so when home I
    Changed the plug & it is better but down low it bogs down, any ideas?
    Oh & the fuel tap leaks a bit.........:(
  2. jaxsplatt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '10 WR300, 2000 TE410
    Dirty/ blocked main jet maybe. If its starving for fuel I'd be looking at carby first..
  3. Robracer Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 Track Bike
    Seems that way.... starving.....that is
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Was the plug oily? If the carb isn't dirty, I'd say you were trying to foul a plug from to rich jetting. Spend a lot of time plunking around at low speeds just before that?
  5. Robracer Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 Track Bike
    Funny thing the plug was wet & before it happened we were in transit down a main dirt road so going fairly fast, probably 3 miles, prior to that yeah some slow stuff.
  6. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Your probably running a tad too rich between low to mid throttle which exacerbates the problem when make that transition from slow speed riding to open road..what carb mate? If it's a mikuni, have a look at lankydoug's post in the jetting database as he's been playing around with this carb on his WR250 with great success.
    Leaky fuel tap...it's probably a bit of gunk, you could pull apart the petcock and clean it/blow it out.
  7. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Like he said, you are probably a little rich on the bottom or using heavy oil and when you where going down the road you were running on the clip and needle nozzel ( Mikuni ) or Diameter ( Keihin), which are a size fat. Anyway, the bottom line is it was trying to foul a plug because it was all loaded with oil in the bottom end from riding slow / idling and the RPM of the road ride started to move the oil out of the crank and mix with the rich fuel condition at the givien throttle stteing you were cursing at. There wasn't enough heat in the rich part of the throttle to burn the extra oil in the rich mixture and it began to foul the plug. It's sort of a snow ball effect.

Give us your oil, mix ratio, carb type and jetting specs.
  8. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Was the bike running fine before this? on previous rides? if this just started towards the end of the ride I don't think it would be a jetting issue.
    I do agree with motorhead though but why didn't it run after a fresh plug?
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Hey, I could be wrong. I might be mistaking what he's saying for something else. You have a valid point. I could try and throw logic at it all day, but it's not that big a deal.
  10. Robracer Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 Track Bike
    Thanks Guys, to answer some of the questions, it was running perfect on the last ride without a hickup, same jetting, (dont know what the jetting is, I haven't had it long enough to have a look) same 50:1 premix as last time & fresh plug at the beginning of a 25 mile day, Carb is a Mikuni, & yeah put in afresh plug & it was still boggy down low, oh & pretty much same altitude same temp as the ride when I got it home & put the new plug in, also checked the filter & it is fine.
    So .... My local mechanic thinks it might have nipped up as the engine has cooled when I got out of the bush & onto the main track, I hope not :-0
    Me .... I am thinking of cleaning out the carb & give it the once over & see if that solves the problem.
    But the thing that has me worried is it that it totally died as if the fuel was shut off when traveling about 30 miles an hour with frequent changes in throttle position............surely that cant be a jetting issue?
  11. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Check compression,check your reeds(easy when you take your carb off to clean).
  12. Robracer Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 Track Bike
    Will do for sure, carb is off so I will be having a look at the reeds, but realistically I will only change 1 thing at a time so hopefully I can narrow it down
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    You could have a piece of dirt stuck in the pilot jet. If you want to easily inspect the piston for damage pull the pipe and have a look in the port. If it went lean and hurt the piston there will be heat damage and scoring on the skirt. You can also pull the intake manifold and look at the intake side as this is the side that sometimes gives it up when it's overdue for a fresh top end.
  14. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Make sure the power valve is not sticking open.
  15. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    make sure the carb is clean / brand new plug

fix or no?

make sure the coil is well grounded

fix or no?

make sure the plug cap is OK

fix or no?

make sure the reeds are not broken or chipped

fix or no?

make sure the woodruff key has not sheared in the stator and you are slightly out of time

fix or no?

something happened quick so it is most likely one of these things.
  16. Robracer Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 Track Bike
    Thanks Heaps guys :thinking: I will rip in in the next few days & let you know what I find.
  17. Robracer Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 511 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1 Track Bike
    Might be 1/2 the problem right here:
    [IMG][/URL] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
  18. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    good job,
    i'd say you found the problem
  19. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Shit!!! The question is where did all that carbon bits go??? If a large a piece makes through to the piston then it will score it... best to do a top end.

Are they VForce 3 reed cages in the WR250's or stock...either way, that's the main cause of your issues as it would be a prick on idle.
  20. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It is strange.

About 3 yrs ago there were a rash of V-Force reed failures.

The reeds in my 2004 are original and are fine.