1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR 250 non start

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jerimiahgandalf, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jerimiahgandalf Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 250
    Hi folks my names lee, im new here.
    I've got a husky WR 250 (think it's a 96) and i cant get it running, im getting fuel and air ok.
    I've fitted a new spark plug, is there any common faults from the HT lead or coil i should be looking into ?
    any help would be highly appreciated.

NOTE; i received the bike as a non-runner.
  2. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    Could be many things. Are you getting a spark at the plug?
  3. jerimiahgandalf Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 250
    nah i took it and cranked it with the spark plug against the crank case.
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    if you have no spark the 1st and easiest test is the kill button
    disconnect it and try again, if not,,
    when diagnosing do ONE thing at a time
    I guess you have or plant to take the tank off
    look at all the connections, unplug inspect and reinsert the connection, this is where a little old school wisdom helps, you plan to ride in the dirt and really hope to do some cool creek crossings, well all of these things are EVIL to electrical connections, buy dielectric grease and after you inspect and or clean any connection add dielectric grease and you will prevent connection corrosion
    typically these are low voltage connections and any loss of voltage takes you out of your working range for performance on your ignition
    hope this helps
  5. dave lindsey Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XCW/2012 CRF230F
    +1 on the kill switch
  6. jerimiahgandalf Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 250
    Cleaned all the wiring terminals and carried out resistance tests where i could, no broken wires.
    Put a voltmeter onto the live from the stator and im getting a reading when i try and start the engine. Coil pack and ht lead then ?
  7. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    I noticed in my 99 book there is a module in the case of the wr it is a 2 wire
    not sure of it's function as I have never had a reason to look, but probably one of the 2
    at this point I would find a proper troubleshooting guide on this model and year as parts replacement is the cure but might not permanently solve the base problem
  8. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I had a stator winding go bad on a bike (not a Husky, but still...), it just failed randomly and the bike died, and it would never start. I took the cover off and ohmed out the windings, all were in spec except for one that was open (or maybe it was a short, I can't remember). In any case, it was clearly out of spec, and a good used part fixed it up, never had a problem again.

The ignition on these is pretty simple. I'd try to find someone semi-local with one that runs, and just swap the few parts until it runs. If that is not an option, try to find someone selling some used parts.

Sometimes you can ohm out a coil and see if it is bad, and some shops have coil testers. I'd check the coil and the stator with an ohmmeter first, it's the easiest thing to do. Then start swapping parts...