1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Wr 250 v cr 144

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by ajaxauto, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well now i do not know what to do .As i have posted before i have nothing but good things to say about a 125 BUT i felt i had gone as far as i could with it so why not try a WR 250 .At first i just could not make the 250 work for me .I will say it is way more fun to trail ride then the 125 BUT i race more then i ride .So i took the WR 250 to Ty at Zip Ty Racing and said make it work the best it can and if i can not make it work for me then i will know it is me not the bike .Well Ty sends a email to Pieadro at the Zoke factory and together they worked magic the bike now is just great ,now i know why the zip ty boys are so fast .I have been out riding and cant wait to try a race with it. So i call Ty and tell him how good it works. BUT then Ty gets me all confused as he says John you really need to bring me your CR 125 to be made into a race set up CR 144 . The thought of a light 144 which has the grunt of a 250 has me all ready to start all over again with a 144 all set up for racing .
    So i will be taking the 125 to be worked over i have asked for the full
    race set up make it the best it can be . Ty is a former National 125
    #1 rider so i am looking forward to what is in his bag of tricks
    Stay tune for update until then i will keep riding the WR 250
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sounds like you will end up with a very tight woods weapon and a more open woods weapon.
  3. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    What did they change on the 250 that made it nicer to ride??
    What size is your IMS tank on the 125 ? Is it noticeably wider ?

Good luck with both bikes and congrats on past successes on the 125.
  4. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

the 144 will never have the bottom and grunt the 250 has.
    good luck though, you ill love the 144!
  5. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Woods What is that ? With about 2 inches of rain a year there are
    no trees just lots of sand and ROCKS I can look up into the mountains and there are trees up there but mr Ranger says you can not ride up here We do get lots of nice single track but just no trees
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    Pietro is the Marzocchi field ops point man. Finally met that mythical Italian zoke mech at the USMXGP Glen H.

suspension suspension suspension,,,,the 1st key to going fast (or faster).

JK the upcoming ZipTy CR144 sounds like a real interesting beast in the making.
    I will try to join your club for the 100s Nat H&H with my all new(well almost) counterbalanced TXC450 (ZipTy recommended mod).
  7. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Counterbalanced? Do tell!

8. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The suspention was set up close to what my 125 has had done to it
    I never had a problem with the 250 motor it is still stock just with a FMF pipe and spark arrestor The 250 is a great all around bike just a little heavy compaired to the 125 but the extra power is nice
    As for my IMS tank they are 3.3 gallons and all are for the 2006 TE 510
    which fit all the Huskys up to when they changed the fram around 2008
    the 3.3 is really to big for the 125 my next project is to make my stock 2.5 tank into a dry break set up
    One more thing on the 250 we shorten the clutch cable by about 3 inches I had Ty dad Terry at Terry cable in Hesperia Ca make a new shorter cable i beleive it makes the clutch have a better pull
  9. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hey no trees to bounce off of a single track I could ride. So I guess you have a small hill bike and a big hill bike. Sounds like you have the bases covered. Just curious, how much heavier does the 250 feel when you are riding it?
  10. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

i might have missed it but are you MXing or hitting trees?
  11. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The Wr 250 feels much heavier then the 125 even thou there really is not that much weight difference .The 125 you have to think about what you are doing and always be ready to shift.The Wr 250 is so easy
    will go just about anywhere in any gear but for some reason it is a handfull and if it get away from you it is much harder to save it The 125 feels like a mountain bike with a chainsaw motor in it .The thought of a 144 that has a just a little more then a 125 is something i want to try
    If that does not work then maybe a Uptite 167 kit These bikes are fun to play with and because we all asked for a 144 the Factory must have heard and made one .Just think if enought of us ask foir a CR 250 on a diet we might get that too
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    dont want to hijack JK thread, CB assy going into my TXC450 from the SM model ordered from the oem parts list @200 bucks for all the stuff + time and effort, per post modded bike ride notes from Burson and Harden .
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    back to the JK thread I think the 144 is going to rock in H&H world. ask shane watts about his Kato144 ride out in johnson valley.
  14. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I really liked my '00 WR250, but my '02 WR125 was better, my '09 WR125 was better yet...... my '09 WR144 is the best bike I have ever owned for the north east! 144's rock the world!:cheers::busted:
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hey razornpc I just play at MX and I am not willing to bounce off trees. LOL the dirt hurts bad enough; I am still healing. I plan on getting the Husky 144 kit for my 125; you guys have totally sold me on it. I still think a 200 Husky on the 150 frame would be the greatest!!!
  16. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I like the idea of a husky 200 (NOT BASED ON THE OLD 250 ENGINE) on the 125 frame!! I must say my 144 is a vast improvement over my 125 and my results say the same thing. I think if the race is more open a fast guy should be able to benifit from a 250 but in MN for the most part the 144 is awesome! I have rode new generation (if there is such a thing) Husky 250's and 300's and for me the ergos and handling just is not on par with the smallbore. So I will continue on the smallbore. If you ever get the chance take 2 bikes set up a course and if your suspension is = do back to back time checks and that will tell you what is the best bike for you! Good Luck! PS Once you ride a properly tuned 144 you will think WOW!
  17. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Its funny though - I would also think the 6 speed and 125 top end would mean real fast tracks would also suit the 125. Whereas if you have to do a lot pf cornering the roll on power of the 250 would be quicker point to point
  18. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

the 144 will be competative with a comperable rider. its just a matter of shifting more and learning more clutch control. the biggest thing ive found my 144 lacks from my 200 is its a bit more sketchy on side hills.

i cannt comment on the whole shot ablities on either since i get horrid starts regaurdless.

and on the small bores its very important to carry you momentum, and commit. once you have those 2 things down youll love your ride!
  19. Scootskipper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Kawasaki Z900RS, 1971 Bultaco
    If you wear your body armor and just bounce gently it isn't too bad. :ride:
  20. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

My 250 WR gets good hole shots.