1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Wr 300 Power

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by patrickaqefd, Apr 17, 2013.

1. patrickaqefd Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    crf20x
    Hey,
    I have just taken my wr 300 for its first real ride.
    Firstly i am not a heavy person so i thought that this bike may be a little bit of a handfull and have heaps of power.
    Well it has power, but nothing like i can't handle. When holding the throttle on under load for say 10 seconds i noticed the bike just bogs, generally after holding it on for a while at some constant rpm. Once letting go of the throttle and re applying it takes off again.
    It seemed to me like at first it was almost running out of fuel. The other thing i noticed when the bike gets hot it really can be a pain to start. Cold, I have no problems. (Also feels like lots of compression as it can be quite hard to kick over)
    The more I rode it the more i realised it seemed to lack a lot of bottem end torque however the top end of the bike felt stronger. It just wouldn't pull second gear up some hills.
    As i don't really have anything to compare the bike to. It seems to me that its overall low on power and bogs down when holding the throttle on for a while at constant rpms. Im hoping its to do with jetting or a lack of fuel supply. Anyone out there with some idea your input is much appreciated.
  2. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    float too low? just get a lectron! if you riding it in open stuff no bike has too much power really. wait til you get a little throttle happy in some tight stuff or coming out of a corner & you might change ya tune, they got plenty of grunt :)
  3. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 HUSABERG FE 350 ,2014 KTM 300XC
    does the bike have a headlamp and tail lamp that run constantly?
  4. patrickaqefd Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    crf20x
    I was considering eventually getting a lectron but not rite at this moment.
    If it helps at all I have noticed fuel coming out of the over flows, when the bike isn't really on any big angles. Also the bike has some other type of muffler on it. I cannot find any stampings on the muffler so i don't know what type it is, or if it is even meant for a 300.
    In reply to braddenning, I have got a head light and tail light however, a switch is installed and so I have left them off the whole time, But the brake light comes on no matter what but it is only a small LED.
    When i first got the bike all the electrics were dim and i found all the backlight wires were shorting together, so i replaced the damaged pieces of wire and now the electronics are all working well.
    I could be able to get a video of when it bogs down if that in anyway helps.
    Thanks
  5. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    i installed a keihin PWK and that solved all my issues as far as performance and hot starts and it not expensive, like 250.00
    panhandlebars likes this.
  6. giantjoe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    I've had great success with the stock Mikuni. Check out the jetting guide in the manual, and see if you're even close. Fuel spilling from the overflows is definitely a float problem.
    pvduke likes this.
  7. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    first off...no offence. this is a 2T engine: if you are not totally familiar with the jetting process take it to a shop. to leanr more there's threads in the 'common topics' esp on how to jet your two-stroke. it's not hit or miss. it miss and burn it up.

fuel pissing out the carb is normal with the gas on if you tip it more than a wee bit. if it dont pee level yer fine. dont mess with that.

past all that- get the JD kit. mine with the stock Mik is awesome.
    no mention of what year yours is....but, get the JD kit....nuff said there. that's a start.

my '12 300's bone stock. it aint the fastest bike around but....it's close. 500 MX, 450F MX bike? yup, faster than mine.
    the rest? drop em like a lead weight up a hill ina drag race. bring it!
    454x and giantjoe like this.
  8. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    225+ with gear
    Full Pro Circuit exhaust
    Factory jets/carb.
    Bike rips. I believe your issue is isolated and can easily be corrected. You too, can enjoy the monster that is lurking within.
    pvduke likes this.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Did these happen to come like the 125 with cripplingly lean jetting? The 125 came with a kit to "fix" this issue.
  10. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    the 300's problem is the carb, for whatever reason, has the wrong needle jet (N8) and (GAY) needle. it forces a monster rich PJ and AS setting to make up for too small "nozzle" (stop it DD :p ). if you run the Mic you MUST get the JD kit, i jetted around it but, it wasnt perfect and super sensative. get the JD kit, install the blue needle, middle notch, 430 main to start...go from there. hang on. wear a helmet.
  11. patrickaqefd Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te449
    Other Motorcycles:
    crf20x
    I might have to order myself a JD kit then.
    I noticed when getting my bike there was a a box of spare jets and things.
  12. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    By the time you buy jets and needles and mess with the jetting after you change the pipe or when the weather gets cold or you go to a higher altitude to ride you will look back and wish you would have got a Lectron. If you want I'll sell you a GAY Needle and an assortment of jets. Trust me, I'll never mess with my Mikuni again.
    Motosportz and huskybear like this.
  13. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Why is everybody suddenly strating to talk about the lectron? isn't the PWK good anymore? Or is it a new trend:=).
  14. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    JD Jettting will sell you a keihnin carb install n go for 245.00, i did it on both my 300s and couldn't be happier !!! its cheap, performs great , bolts up with no mods , easy to tune and if you EVER need any technical assistance call JD and get immediate response !
    panhandlebars likes this.
  15. K5PL5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 Suzuki SV1000/73 Honda CB350
    My dealer put in the spare jets from the factory and Ive never messed with the carb other than raising the idle just slightly. I would really like to ride someone's WR300 with a Lectron installed. Im really baffled by the issues people have had with the stock carb
    giantjoe likes this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    those are the ones you need to get it running OK. The JD will make it run even better and the Lectron carb will make it :eek:
  17. braddenning Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    whats the advantage that the lectron has over the keihnin
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Full disclosure is I sell the Lectron so know that before reading my post.

IMHO - The stock carb as it comes sucks. Runs like crap and finicky. The factory jet kit makes it ridable. The JD kit makes it very good. The PWK is far less finicky and works very well. The Lectron works even better.

the Lectron is not a necessity at all but a performance and running upgrade just like a pipe or getting your suspension done or buying a rekluse etc. Lots of people really like it, do you NEED one, no.

I don't think people are having issues but if you ride areas where the weather changes a lot like the NW or you ride a lot of different elevations (anywhere with mountains) the stock carb is very temperamental.
    lankydoug likes this.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Smoother more linear power, more power, better MPG, no jets to clog, external top end adjustment (nice for big elevation changes or if you are pinning it at the dunes etc.), very good throttle response, very clean running, elevation compensating, simplicity, no need for piles of jets and needles.

Lots of threads on that elsewhere and not looking to further pollute this thread with it.

To the original post the factory kit or JD will get you where you need to be.
    lankydoug likes this.
  20. duey Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2003 ktm xc 2008 ktm 250 sx
    1st suspension 2nd lectron going on 3 months couldn't be happier with carb.performance
    Motosportz likes this.