1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR 300 Q's

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by marcmo0, Nov 12, 2010.

1. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    First thanks for all your input in past post. Just bought an '09 300 (still in crate) and pick it up on Mon:applause::applause:

Wondering what brand premix you recommend? i have been using Yamalube 2R for years, with no probs, and still have a bunch. THat should be ok to use, right?

What brand of rad guards the flatland or OFG? Best place to get parts? (Halls and Uptite seem pretty good)
    Pipe guard. Does the eline '09 250 guard work on the 300? I read in a few posts that it is the same pipe in 09, and I've read that it isn't.

Also my YZ has a Keihin PWK 38S, is that the magic carb?

ANy other info on getting this badboy dialed would be most appreciated.
    Thank you!!
  2. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    Motosportz-radiator guards, disc guards, carbs etc.-great place to destroy your budget.

I put the pwk on and have never looked back, but you may mess with the jetting on the mikuni and get it right. I never could. If I could go back I would have done this mod before I ever started the bike.

I have the hyde skid plate and pipe guard combo (09 wr300). I like it, but many don't like the way it looks. I crash a lot so I'll take all the protection I can get. Thinking about having the entire bike rhino lined!

There are lots of other posts on here about what else to do to your 300 so you can find lots of other things to do your bike, whatever you do make sure you never let common sense be your guide. I never do.

Pre-mix is a lot like a famous expression about excuses-if you get what I mean. Everyone has their favorite.
  3. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    I forgot the most important part.
    Congratulations!
    You will love this bike I know I do.
  4. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Thanks! I guess I will rip the carb off my '03 YZ250 and put it on the Husky. Easy enough. I just talked with the shop and they just fired it up for the first time and are putting the rest of the plastics on.
    :cheers:
    I hear you about premix brands. I see that Husky recommends 50:1. Anyone actually running 50:1? THat seems lean. I have seen some posts on here about 40:1 and 32:1. I typically go 40:1.
  5. buzuki Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    KDX200,KX125,CR250,50cc quad,
    i use motul 710 at 40:1, seems pretty good. I thought the 50:1 was a bit to little but its most likely fine. I ran 1 tank on it but didnt feel comfortable so went back to 40:1
  6. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    Motul 800 and VP C-12 @ 50:1
    Runs great and the cylinder looks brand new
  7. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    I believe the 250 and 300 pipes are different. I got my pipe guard from P3.
  8. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Congratulations and welcome to the Husky Team!
  9. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Anything synthetic is the way go...if you want to run A747 Castor then you really have to mix it properly as 'just shake the jug' doesn't disperse the castor oil into the petrol properly plus it goes off quickly.
    On mixture, go to what you feel comfortable and how you ride or the conditions - you ride tight, technical trails with very little WOT or spend majority of the time at no more than 1/2 throttle, then 50:1/40:1 is perfect (less fouling).
    OTOH, if you ride open trails, grass tracks, sand or spend majority of the time over 1/2 throttle, then mix it at 3x:1 will safeguard against under lubrication at high speeds.
    See the jetting database sticky for a baseline for the Keihin and read some of PVDuke's post on how to read your plug - 9/10 times the problem with bogging, surging, fouling is related to carbie issues not petrol mix ratio - the oil is used to lubricate and nothing else.
  10. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    GOT IT!!! Picked it up yesterday. I am super stoked. AND my blown YZ has a Keihin PWK 38 carb. That is going on right away. Too bad it is snowing at my house today, and I won't be able to ride it for a few weeks.
    A HUGE thanks to Sage Motorsports in Terreton, ID. Those guys were great. I got the deal of the century on this bike and I can't wait to get it out.

What's the deal with the shift lever. Someone recommended replacing it. Do they break easily? It's a little short, but I think I can manage. Just curious there.
  11. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Congratulations:applause::cheers:

The OFG are radiator braces and as such are great. If you want guards then go with the Motosportz guard.

I also really like the P-3 pipe guard.
  12. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    MotoSportz has a skid plate as well if you don't buy a combo skid plate/pipe guard. I sold the Hyde unit to a local guy here, Bradass, I believe it was. Maybe he'll let you know how he likes it. I have replaced my shift lever but I need to look into if I just did it for shallow reasons. The OE is steel and the one I bought is aluminum, so maybe that was it.. weight savings, yeah. Or maybe it was a slightly different bend so it wasn't so close to the clutch cover. I'll find the one I bought and add it here as an edit.

Lastly, there is a must-do post out there somewhere. Stuff like checking all the bolts, using anti-seize on the bolts that go into the tank and air box (nutserts), etc.

Sorry it's snowing. Same story here in the foothills and mountains above the Denver/Boulder area.
  13. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    That's where I got my 250. Chris gave me a deal that I couldn't pass up too. I would definitely buy another bike from them. They don't sell many 2-strokes so I had to order mine, but when Husky lowered the prices on the '09's he passed the deal right on to me.

I think the only issue with the shift lever is that it is close to the clutch cover and will scratch it. If that is an issue you can try to bend it out a little.

Sucks living in snow country doesn't it. Hope you get to ride it soon.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Great bike enjoy. yes we have lots of stuff for that bike. Check your rear sprocket bolts first few rides, tighten the nut not the bolt. Check the sub frame bolts every couple of rides. Steering head and linkage / swingarm bearing will need some grease soon. Use the good BelRay or Amsoil grease. Stock tires are crap but might as well wear them out. Suspension takes some time to loosen up, might as well set them full soft (compression) until that start to feel good. IMS 4 stroke tank fits this bike but is wide and makes the bike feel big. Shifter is fine but will rub cases. On of those thin aluminum glue on clutch cover covers might be a good idea.

Welcome

Kelly
  15. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    -Bend the shifter out or it can gouge the clutch cover (at least mine did).
    -Put a buffer between the mudflap and the swingarm or the mudflap ridges will eat into the swingarm
    -Loctite the motor mount bolts
    -Grease the lower shock bearing often
    -Ride the hell outa it :thumbsup:

Take care of the minor issues before you ride it and you'll be golden. It's a great bike!
  16. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    mudflap- sand the ribbs on the back down with a dremel etc.... it can marr your swing arm cross-piece, cosmetic only. wont affect it structurally.

+1 ohmgewd :thumbsup:: ...pick any modern high-end two-cycle oil (spectro, maxima, PJ1, motul, etc), mix @ 40 or 50:1 for general trail riding/romping/enduro and enjoy your new scoot. these ratios give your jetting settings more flexability for varying conditions.
    never use castor. it smells nice but it WAS for road racing a long time ago and it's a PIA and makes a giant mess etc etc etc.

the 300 is a whopper. tell yer buddy's to stock up on front # plates, fork guards and goggle lenses. :doh:
  17. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Thanks guys. I plan on a day of wrenching to tweak the controls, loctite some bolts, guess I'll bend out the shifter a little etc. and should be getting out on the break in ride in a few weekends.( I'm not at home for another week and a half, so I can't even go into the garage and stare at it!!)
    GREAT to know about the IMS 4 stroke tank!!! I'll be putting one of those on for sure.
    Thanks again.
    When I get back, I'll post a pic...hopefully with dirt.
  18. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Oh, and my bike came with one of those combo Husky skid/pipe guards. Its alum and has that half cylinder looking front piece that is to protect part of the pipe. It looks pretty hoaky and like it would fill up with mud like a shovel. I was thinking about taking out the grinder and cutting that off and just putting on a pipe guard. Anyone use that skid plate I'm talking about? Is it effective, or should I cut that front part off?
  19. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

:thumbsup:
  20. utopia Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250, WXC125
    Try it first. I ordered one of those for my bike without seeing it and I thought it looked kind of funky too. After using it, I really like it. It doesn't fill up with mud as badly as I thought it would and it works great. It really protects the pipe well. Just make sure it's not touching the pipe anywhere and that it's tight.