1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR 300 race head short review

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Sandgroper, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well after a couple of rides with the new head fitted I have no hesitation in recommending this mod to anyone wanting their 300 to get up and go faster..... Much faster.
    I'm currently running 14/45, PWK38 carb and my arms are now sore after every ride from hanging on :D
    I can't confirm if top speed has increased but going from 0 to 100klmhr happens a lot faster than before.
    The problem I have now is she gets into the power band too quickly and just takes off! :lol: Because of this I will try going to 14/43.
    It's amazing how fast it hunts down 4 strokes now and how hard it is to keep the front wheel on the ground, this makes it even more fun to ride IMO. :)
    I don't think it starts any easier (for me anyways) tho i have rotated my kick leaver one notch clockwise.
    Fuel consumption hasn't changed going by my initial rides.
    I recommend this mod to anyone wanting more power from the bottom
    up. This combined with the pwk carb makes it one lethal weapon in the desert.

:thumbsup::applause::applause::applause::applause:
  2. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok, sounds great! Where do i get one? I canĀ“t order it here in Sweden! HELP!:notworthy:

Johnny
  3. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    thats very high gearing - glad you finally have the power you wanted..
    can most riders use it would be my question - I guess in the desert it makes sense
  4. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hey help Johnny out....
  5. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

PM sent to Johnny :cool:
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Sounds great and I'm not surprised to hear a 300 2t can eat a 450 4t up ... It just takes a real stud on the 300 ...

What is this race head? Where is the info on these heads?

That gearing does sound very high ...
  7. tony_dt Husqvarna
    AA Class

They are supposed to be a Husqvarna part. I have had one on order for months. Where are you guys getting these :excuseme:
  8. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I ordered the head thru my local husky shop who sourced it from Austria once I gave them the part number :busted: They couldn't find until I did that :excuseme:
    Originally im from australia So i called husky there and they had put me onto a performance parts store that would ship it to me but I didn't need to once I sorted out my local guy ;) I had to wait around 3 weeks. Crikey, my carb only took 4 days from the usa, oh well good things take time :) I think anyone can handle this bike with the race head but you need to ask yourself if you actually need it, personally if I was riding woods I wouldn't think you need it unless you like eating trees for breakfast :busted: or your one shit hot rider :D. I'm no pro rider but i still manage to use all the power (some times) on every ride.
    In terms of gearing, im use to riding 4 strokes so i dont see the need to rev the hell out of my bike unless needed. Cruising at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is standard for our type of riding. When I was running the stock 13/48 the 4 strokes lost me every time as I was topping out way to early. In the desert we generally sit between 80/120 in open areas. This means when needed I still have extra gas on tap anytime. Guys I ride with have everything from 450sxf ktms to 530exc with a 6 speed box and they don't hang around I can tell you that. Our rides are more like a race..... Once your out in the desert its so much fun you can't help but go wide open when racing your mates :)
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    You are in pure sand over there? The gearing makes sense at those speeds as the stock stuff is pointed more at trail stuff ...

So where was this part number listed at?

If I have ever been on a dirt bike ride where it was not a race, I don't remember it ;0)
    BorisTas likes this.
  10. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

It is listed under the Power Parts section of the main Husky website. I have the link on another laptop. will try and get it for you by tomorrow unless some else can help out sooner ;)
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The husky site for the usa seems to have issues now ... What main site are you referring to?
  12. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    It took a couple of weeks to get mine. Easy mod to do, just make sure you order the hose fittings, mine stripped when I tried to take them out of the old head to reuse.

Sandgroper, that's some seriously tall gearing I'm running 13/50 to tiptoe through our rockpiles.

As far as performance......it seems a lot stronger on the bottom end and mid range.

Starting..... not a lot of difference. what did make a big difference was an Iridium plug, made it much harder to start especially when cold..... it does seem to clear out faster after the slow first gear sections but then they seem to fry if you wick it up on a fire road after you've been playing in the rocks........jury is still out on this one.

funny because the Iridium plug was the ticket in the KDX.

I think the analog CDI ignition in the WR is a peice of crap and the root of a lot issues that get blamed on the carb.

Bottom line..the race head is definitely worth the $100 and 30 minutes it takes to bolt on
  13. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    $100 ! thats cheap as chips
    playing with the ignition some more top end maybe?
  14. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I want one !
  15. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I finally found a pic ... It only says hi compression as advertised ... Does any one know what this head does to increase performance?

Looks like it is only for a 300 also ...

Attached Files:

16. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    From what I hear it corrects the poor squish velocity and raises compression.
  17. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I have a CR250 on the way ... what is squish?
  18. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sandgroper!

What jetting are you running, and at which temp? Elevation?

Johnny
  19. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    It tastes like squash. :D
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Squish is the little band around the outer part of the combustion chamber in the head. this causes high velocity squishing of the fuel into the head dome and is very important.

IMHO you could send your stock head to someone like RD Designs and have them up the compression and fix the squish and have the same thing.