1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st wr 300 surging

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by billyp10980, Sep 11, 2013.

1. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I need a little help. Today I was out on the trails for about 2 hours when the bike started surging when I would let off the gas to go into a turn or go down a steep hill. It would also do it just as I was coming to a stop. Its almost like it was about to run out of gas but I know I still had plenty left. I went and took the carb off, blew out the jets and cleaned out the vent tubes. After for a little while the bike seemed to run fine. Now its surging again. Not as bad but still into turns and just for a second when I stop. I've also checked for air leaks and have not found any. Any ideas of what could be going on? The mechanic helping me didn't seem to think it was the top end because it was running real strong.
  2. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I need a little help. Today I was out on the trails for about 2 hours when the bike started surging when I would let off the gas to go into a turn or go down a steep hill. It would also do it just as I was coming to a stop. Its almost like it was about to run out of gas but I know I still had plenty left. I went and took the carb off, blew out the jets and cleaned out the vent tubes. After for a little while the bike seemed to run fine. Now its surging again. Not as bad but still into turns and just for a second when I stop. I've also checked for air leaks and have not found any. Any ideas of what could be going on? The mechanic helping me didn't seem to think it was the top end because it was running real strong.
  3. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Did you check the float height when you had it apart?
  4. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was just reading about the float height. Do I move the clip up or down? How do I tell if its not right? Thanks for the help. Don't know much about carburetors.
  5. kx3089 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    That's how my 250 acted when I lost my coolant drain bolt and rode for about 3 hrs with no coolant.I even tore the carb apart in woods to see what was going on.It ended up getting pretty hot and wouldn't shut off with kill button,had to stall it.This is when we realized it was a tad low on coolant(empty)looked down and saw no bolt.Borrowed a bolt from bike,took what was left in camelbaks and rode home.NO DAMAGE,replaced rings
  6. postie25 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300
    Noticed this on my first ride - seems the fuel petcock is f'd up and only fully flows on reserve (rgardless of amount fuel in tank)
  7. Guy Lozito Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Suzuki RM 125's
    Just a thought but is the cable kinked or stuck somehow?
  8. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

air leak where the carb boot bolts to the case?

sounds like some kind of air leak anyways.
  9. kx3089 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    overheating?
  10. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I think you are confusing float height with needle position. The needle has clips, the float has a little tab that you bend.

Lots of hits on google for setting float height:

http://www.allthingsmoto.com/forums...carburetor-float-level-more-commentary-13608/

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/floatlevel.html

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110771
  11. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I merged the 2 identical threads you started about the same issue.
  12. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thank you everyone with the responses. Sorry about the double post.
  13. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Its not overheating. Plenty of coolant and the throttle cable is working well. I will have to check the float height and for air leaks again. All I know is this is a pain. Bike has lots of power and as soon as I let off the surging starts. Especially downhill or in turns.
  14. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I posted this before the threads were merged and my post disappeared so here it goes again, put Honda paper gaskets on both sides of your reed block at the intake boot to cylinder location. If that doesn't fix it try one step bigger pilot jet.

What affect does adjusting the air screw have on the problem?
    BILLF likes this.
  15. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was just outside and found the plastic under the air box had cracked at the corner right where it connects to the subframe. The corner was actually missing. I plugged that up and also found my air filter may not have been seated properly so I took it out and did it again. I looked all around the air box and tried to seal up any cracks or holes.
    As far as the air screw goes : if I turn it out the engine runs stronger if I turn it in it tends to bog or sounds like its going to conk out. It seems to be working properly. I also checked all around the reed block and the connections to the carb sprayed some wd40 while it was running. No surging. I haven't been able to really test it of course because of an incoming thunder storm. I'm hoping it has something to do with the extra cracks in the airbox.
  16. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I take that back. I just found today I was very low on coolant. But I have no idea how. I filled it the day before. Can't find any leaks. Could it have settled after I filled it and I didn't realize it?
  17. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Check your transmission oil and make sure it doesn't look like a milkshake.
  18. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    Even the 2014s still arent sealed from the factory we maybe thats why we are headed to Austria if after 6 yearsof WR250/300s someone could have asked Regelo on the line to put some sealer on the damn manifold.Sorry my mistake Regelo works for cobin seats.
    lankydoug likes this.
  19. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I checked it. Still looked good. Im lost. Just hope the bike runs fine tomorrow. I'll keep a close eye on the coolant.
  20. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Bill, You were the one who put the gaskets on mine before you put it in the crate and shipped it to me. Every time I read about someone losing a top end or having a surging problem because of an air leak I wonder why all the dealers don't do this. It's the best $10 insurance you can buy for your WR.