1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st WR / CR coil wire

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by MOTORHEAD, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I'd like to change the plug wire in the stock coil.

Anybody ever pulled a plug wire out of a WR coil? Best I can tell it's the same coil that's been used on all WR / CR's from the 90's up until the new 2012 unit.

I'm wondering if it's just threaded into the coil like it is in the plug cap?
  2. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    I don't think you can remove the wire. NGK makes a twist connect adapter you use along with one of their replacement spark plug wire/caps. You have to cut off the original wire and the connector joins to the new one. I bought this set up for my bike, but have not installed it yet. Maybe somebody else here can chime in on how well it works?
  3. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    FYI- The coil wire IS threaded into the coil, just like the plug cap is threaded onto the wire.

I unscrewed mine and installed a new NGK racing wire.

I've been chasing down a miss and I just thought I'd try the wire. I had the miss when it was a 300 with the WR ignition and now it's a 250 with a CR ingnition and I still have it. The coil and wire where the only common parts. Working on good grounds and a fresh wire and cap.
  4. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Thanks for the info! Just ran out to the garage and removed my old ignition wire too.
  5. chuck r Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR144 WB
    Motorhead- DId you figure out the miss? My 09 wr144 breaks up on top unless I have a non resistor plug in it.. Strange but true.. Was going to try new coil..
  6. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Yes, I changed the wire and cap to the NGK 5 OHM race wire and took the grounding points to bare metal along with the two top frame motor mount tabs.

Which one actually did the trick, I don't know for sure, but it's clean now.

One way to tell if it's a ground issue is to fashion a ground wire that runs from the motor ( any bolt ) to the coil ground bolt. If it cleans up it's a grounding problem.

BTW- I run a NGK BR8EIX plug, which is resistor.
  7. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    I kept getting a tiny little miss on top with the wr 125s, in the end it would appear it didnt like iridium plugs as never had a single problem with the BR 9EGs
  8. chuck r Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR144 WB
    With my 2009 wr125 I have found plug gap is critical!! Mine will not run on top at all with a plug out of the box. Gap must be .024!! try it.. Really odd how critical it is on this bike..
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    These WR ignitions are about as sohpicated as an XR50's. They can barely do the job IMO. I may try a different coil down the road, but mine is doing OK right now.

On a 125 or 250 the CR's are a better choice, for a couple of reasons.