1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WR125 / 144/ 165 vs YZ125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by sasrocks, Sep 26, 2012.

1. sasrocks Husqvarna
    AA Class

about 3 years ago I rode a 05 aluminum frame stock engine YZ125 for trail riding. All I did was put a plate and brush guards on it. I really liked it, for a while but eventually sold it and went back to a KTM 300. It was really fast and fun in open fields, but I had to keep it spinning in the tight stuff or it would load up. I could have had too cold of a plug in it.

My question is how is the husky 125/144/165 compared to the YZ125 for tight woods riding. I am an intermediate, older rider. Maybe the old man 300 is what I need, but I see all these raves about the little Husky and wonder.

Would like to hear from those who have ridden both in the single track.
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

IMHO no compairson hands down the WB 165 is simply better. Way more power all the way through with a much much smoother delivery. In 144 trim the Husky again had more power across the board. In stock 125 Husky trim I would say they are close with my CR125 Husky having a little more on top and the YZ a little more just off idle. I had an 05 YZ125 and it was a good bike but IMO the Husky handles better, turns better, stops better, and Goes better. I will say the YZ stock suspension felt a little better in the sharp edge, rocky, rooty stuff. BTW I had a 300 myself, am an old man at 53, weigh 200 lbs, and will take my Husky over anything I've ridden to date in the woods. I just installed a Rekluse EXP and now....it's just cheating; and I LOVE it.
  3. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike

Wow, your not joking. A 165, with rekluse? That is a cheater bike if I've ever seen one. The only way you could make it more of a cheater is e-start.
  4. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I had a yz and the big thing for me was the way the yz threw you all over the place and the husky keeps a straight line
    Gotlabs and ray_ray like this.
  5. justplayin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Raced YZ125's from 1995 till 2000 ECEA eastern (read tight woods) enduro's in the A class. I loved the YZ.... of course they are a little more dated than what you have ridden. I was consistantly top 3 in the class. Great bike and great handler. My WR144.....better all around especially handling. Seems like it's on a rail, super stable, does nothing stupid in all terrain. In 144 form with the mods I have done, it flat out "rips". Can ride it all day in an enduro or harescramble (just do them for fun now) and not be beat up at all. I know I'm comparing my 2012 WR with older school YZ's but I am confident that the WR is better suited for a trail weapon than the YZ.
    BTW, 50 years old, 210lbs, riding mid pack A pace, doing all trail no MX at all.

OH, forgot to mention, the 125/144 is not a lazy mans ride in the woods. You need to be agressive, attack the trail, and keep it where the power is. You can't just click it into 3rd and ride all day like a 300.........BUT the 144 for me is exactly how I like to ride. It is a total adrenaline rush for me when I'm riding it. Something about hearing that bike rippin' from turn to turn and the amazing lightness........I have a blast everytime I get on it:thumbsup:
  6. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

YZ and Husky are both similar. I agree with the above comments exactly!

I am not a fan of aluminum frames for a few reasons.

I'm 52 and can ride much longer without tiring on the 144/125/135....and have way more fun.

They have to be jetted perfectly to pull my 200# around though.

I ride a 135 in sand and a 144 in rocks.
    JAM likes this.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I am an old fat guy and carry an additional 15#'s on my back. Riding weight ~245. I know I am jaded but my 165 will pull anything on the bottom, in the middle, or screaming your choice. I am not the most unbiased guy:doh: but the 165 is the best combination for trail riding: light and handles great but still has enough power to master anything without having to attack but not so much you get worn down. I ride lots of really steep nasty stuff, works better than awsome.
    JAM and dartyppyt like this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I find the WB165 with FMF KTM 200 pipe the PERFECT woods mount. Handles amazing, motor makes perfect power, climbs like a mountain goat and amazes while putting a permagrin on your face. Love it. A friend asked me the other day if i would choose a 310 or 165 for the woods and as much as i like the 310 the 165 got my vote.
    JAM likes this.
  9. sasrocks Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the replies fellas..... not surprising; and definitely got me thinkin.....:D
  10. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

How many videos do I need to post to prove how well a 165 works.Watch a few and you will see a 165 pull a 450 across the desert,a 165 pull hills up to over 8,000 feet,see a 165 dance between the trees plus a 165 run with the open class in motorcross and the list go on and on.Walt did my motor 1000 miles ago and I have tried to hurt it ever since with no suscess .do have a few of those things they give you for doing well at the races you then have to hand them up and dust once a week
    Get my point 165 rules.I do have a video about the 300 but it is a hand full and hard to hold on to
    Watch then and go get a 165
    JAM, Jersey Woods, MattR and 2 others like this.