1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WR125 Suspension Setup

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by jason380, Oct 25, 2012.

1. jason380 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 KTM 380, 03 RM 250, 06 KTM 450
    I've got most of the parts gathered for the engine rebuild on this newly acquired 99 WR125 and now I'd like to start sourcing some suspension parts. I'm 200lbs without gear and run a B pace in harescrambles. I am not familiar with these bikes so please bear with me. I plan to rebuild the forks but I'm not sure what springs I should use. I run .44kg in my ktm 380 which work well. On the other hand would there be an advantage to swapping forks? It looks like the newest I could go is 2001 without swapping wheels. Maybe a wheel swap would be worthwhile if the newer forks are THAT much better.
    As for the shock I plan to find a good used one. In pumpkinland the PDS suspension improved over the years and I could bolt on an '06 shock for a great upgrade on my '99. Is this true on the Husky as well? It appears I could use shocks off bikes up to '08. I passed up an '04 shock on e*bay because I don't want to get something that is not an upgrade. How about spring rates for the shock--stock is 5.0? The stocker seems light for me from just sitting on it.
    Also I noted the CR and WR have different spring rates. Are they valved differently as well? This will be very helpful to know when shopping for used units.
    I do know how to set the sag but did not check it before I tore the bike down. I'd like to get parts while the bike is torn down to save time on this build so I'll have to make an educated guess for now.
    Thanks!
    Jason
  2. jason380 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Nevermind on swapping wheels due to the axle size difference. If newer 45mm forks with the 25mm axle are worthwhile I could just have bushings made to make up the difference at the fork legs. :D
    I found a little information through some more searching and it looks like .46 fork springs and a 5.4 shock spring should do the trick. Thoughts?
  3. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

ive the 2009 125 wr running 50 marzocchi's and am 190lbs with no gear. I've fitted .45nm front spring and 5.5 rear spring and it works really good for me. i race and i'd say we are of similar ability.
  4. jason380 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the reply, Spud. That's close to what I was thinking would work. I tore the forks down and one had almost no oil and the other was very low then I found a broken compression valve on one too. It's becoming very clear that this bike was just not maintained. So now I need to find some forks or at least one unless I can find a good valve to replace the broken one. Nobody really replied about the improvements over the years but I would think they improved from year to year.
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

On my 2011 WR150, I use .40kg fork springs and a 6kg shock spring. 190lbs
  6. jason380 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Vinduro. I know many will use different setups based on personal preference and I think I recall from some of your posts that you actually went softer on your fork springs and stiffer on the shock to get it where you liked it. It looks like I'll have some experimenting to do once I get everything freshened up.