1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WR125 vs '06 KTM 125SX

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by woodsrider, Mar 27, 2012.

1. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    Hey guys,

Newb here, been reading posts for some time, looking for some input. Am trying to decide whether to keep my '06 KTM 125SX, or buy a newer WR125 with the idea of doing a WB165 upgrade at some point. Am on a budget, can't afford new.

I'm a mellow trail rider, occasionally enter an off-road race for laughs. 51 yrs old, 210 lbs, fast C or slow B rider. I like the mountain single track. Have been amazed at how well the 125SX does out in the mountains.

I bought the 125 almost 2 yrs ago and LOVE it! But, I would like a bit more torque, but don't want to lose the 125 feel. I've ridden KTM 200's, and they are great, they feel less nimble = less fun.

Some pros to keeping the 125SX:
    Its nicely setup, big tank, tall seat, skid plate, bark busters, steering stabilizer, PMB kick stand, new top end, new clutch plates, new sprockets and chain, tires, etc.

Come cons: lacks low end, not easily/cheaply upgraded to 144 or 170, no 18" rear tire (not a biggie), no lighting capability, suspension needs at a minimum springs, probably a revavle too, its getting "old".

WR125 Pros: cheaper initial buy in then KTM, comes setup closer to what I want, comes with 144 kit, 165 kit sounds KILLER! More unique bike then the KTM. Got a good dealer not to far away (Tasky's).I hear they work great in the woods.

WR125 cons: Used they are harder to find then hens teeth! Would need to invest $ to get it setup the way my 125 already is (bigger tank, bark busters, tall seat, etc). I've been in KTM's for years now, so have all kinds of KTM spares laying around. Did I mention they are hard to find used?!!!

Another option would be to just buy a used KTM 150XC, but they're fairly rare too and seem to command a lot more then the WR125's.

So, I guess the question is, keep my KTM 125SX, invest in the suspension for it and enjoy it? Or, sell it (and my '02 YZ250) and HOPE I can find a WR125 that I can afford?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ed
  2. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    Monkey wrench: I know a guy selling a brand new 150XC setup (crank, piston, etc - only lacks the CDI and pipe to complete the conversion) for about a grand. I am very tempted to buy this and keep my KTM. If the KTM was newer, it would be a no brainer. I also know a guy with a used lighting coil/stator at a very reasonable price, it would be nice to be able to run lights on the KTM.

Arghh!!!