1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR250 chain length, Whats right?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Bing-Bong, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Bing-Bong Husqvarna
    C Class

Hi all, been giving my 2007 WR250 an overhaul and am in the middle of replacing the chain and sprockets. I've got Renthal sprockets, gearing 13/48. I've been sent a 118 link chain and it's way too long. How many links do I need to remove?

Also replaced control cables and fitted a FMF Gnarly with the standard end can. Would this system work better with the FMF end can?

Look forward to your replies.
  2. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    On the chain, check the Hall's Parts catalog for your year. Looks like 112 w/ stock gearing

Don't know about the exhaust
    Bing-Bong likes this.
  3. Bing-Bong Husqvarna
    C Class

Many thanks for that, that'll be a big help. That catalogue is great. Once again, thanks.
  4. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    stick it on & measure it up where you're happy re axle position. allow a little bit of adjustment for stretch. cut to size. can probably wouldnt make much difference, pipe will. fmf will look better & make you think you're faster & thats the main thing right?!
    Bing-Bong likes this.
  5. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    Here is a link to gearing ratios and chain length estimates.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/gear-ratio-and-chain-link-sizing-tables.23451/

It looks like the calculation for WR250 came out as 112-113. Since you can not have a odd number of links, you would need 114. This is helpful when buying a new chain to make sure you will have enough links.

In your case since you already have the chain with 118 links, so I would do what Shawbagga stated and cut the chain to your personal preference. You may find that 112 would put your axle too far forward. Or that the 114 links would put you too far rearward.
    Bing-Bong likes this.
  6. Doug Piper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 SM250
    Axle forward, put chain on and mate up to rear sprocket, chain must not be tight at this stage as when you compress suspension chain will be over tight. Better to take out less links that to many.
    Bing-Bong likes this.
  7. Doug Piper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 SM250
  8. eurocycle01 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 gas gas ec300
    In your case since you already have the chain with 118 links, so I would do what Shawbagga stated and cut the chain to your personal preference. You may find that 112 would put your axle too far forward. Or that the 114 links would put you too far rearward.[/quote]

This is exactly what I did with 13/50 gearing on my wr300.
    112 put the axle forward and 114 had the axle in the middle of the range for that gearing.
    Bing-Bong likes this.
  9. Bing-Bong Husqvarna
    C Class

Great info, thanks. I decided on 112 with the gearing that I run. That put the adjustment blocks roughly in the middle of their travel. I still havn't got to take it out yet with the new pipe and all, but did take some pics so will upload and hope you enjoy them.

Treated myself to a Husqvarna enduro jacket this weekend, so will be dying to hit the trails next weekend.