1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR250 For Veteran Class MX?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by deluxe68, Feb 19, 2010.

1. deluxe68 Husqvarna
    B Class

How suitable is the WR250 for vet class MX? I am looking to get a smoke 250 for MX this year, I don't think the CR125 would be a good fit for my 220 lbs. The bike might be used for some off-roading but I am looking for some track time this year. I don't think my 610 would be up to the task:). Not looking to win races but just to have fun. Also not sure how much time the only local dealer has left, they have cut their store hours and some employees are 1/2 time. They have also let their web site be closed down. I definitely do not want the complications of a 4 stroke MX bike. Is it time to move to orange???
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I don't know about the Wr250 but I am over 200 lbs myself and my 08 CR125 works like a champ. This little 125 is the most fun I've had on a bike period. I also have a 09 TXC510. Don't go Orange!!!
  3. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Here is my take on the WR 250 since i do own one .It is a great off road bike will last forever,lots of power .I have raced it in some motocross even a WORC race and some desert races .But for me since i am only 175 and 6 ft i do better racing on my CR 125
    If i were to go out riding and having fun the WR 250 is my choice but for me racing the 125 works better Husky is commetted to the future of the 2 stroke so stay with a Husky Plus parts if you ever need them are so easy to get for the WR250 since the motor has been used for so many years
  4. deluxe68 Husqvarna
    B Class

The last 250 mx bike I owned was a 74 250MAG, how does the WR250 compare power-wise? The 125's back then (70's) could barely get out of their own way unless the throttle was pinned. I was just at a post-vintage (+79) race and the 125's were at the same pace as open bikes, not sure what sub-class each heat was. Maybe I should just lose 50lbs and get the CR125:D
  5. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    I have ridden my 2000 WR250 on an MX track and it seemed to work better than most of the other brands enduro style bikes did (just judging by looks/comments while riding on the mx track). It isn't going to be better than a dedicated mx bike, but it does pretty well. :thumbsup:
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My son has on three different MX tracks ran faster lap times on my 125 Husky than he did on his KTM SX505 with Ohlins. He now has a 2010 TC250 for himself. The 125 Huskys run very strong. They have no trouble getting out of their own way in fact others have to get out of our way LOL. Hopefully someone can do a better compairson than me but I think ajaxauto pretty much sums it up. I would like to have one of each myself.
  7. oldmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 WR-360.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 505
    To set this up I am 5'10" and hit the scales at 215 pounds. I purchased a 01 Husky CR-125 since it was a killer deal and road nothing else last year. I had the suspension set up by Les at LTR and it is an absolute blast to ride. The only gripe I have is that I road an enduro on it and could have used a little more grunt on the hacked out up hills, a 144 kit is in my future. As the bike sits stock it would be fine for MX, and harescrambles. With a 144 kit I do not feel you would miss a 250.

Just my .02.

Mike
  8. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I think it will be fine... Not sure about your age, riding skill level, the tracks you will be riding at, or what year bike you are wanting but I don't think you will have too many issues as you stated you wanted to trail ride also and not expecting to win the championship... If you can ride, this bike will take you up front though I sure ...

The suspension might be a little soft for the track since it is a WR model but if you aren't doing any triples I doubt it will be bottoming out. With that said, you are > 200lbs so you might have to re-value most any bike anyway...

I think the WRs are just previous years' model CR (imported last in 02) with a heavier FW and maybe ignition and a softer suspension ... I was always told the internal gears ratios were the same and not the wide ratios the name implies ... through the years, the top ones might be taller but I'm not sure ... I have an 02 CR250 and it is totally bad-a$$ engine wise... It is written on these sites that the WRs are very good at lugging ...this is a shortage on my CR and I'm thinking the FWW is the difference here ...

Guys used the CRs back a few years ago for trails...they would take a WR FW and ignition and replace the CR parts to tame the bike for trail riding as the CRs are a beast in the woods ... You have the reverse happening :) Maybe get a lighter FW and watch it scream!

My 02 never broke in the 6+ years I rode it on single track in some very gnarly places ... I think the clutch was adjusted about ~3 years ago ... I rape it in the woods and it just hangs in there with zero issues ... I have never even changed the piston or rings and it is still a scary bike to pin in the woods today ...
  9. jaked308 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, 2012 TC250, 2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KLX250sf, 2005 TTR125LE (wifes)
    I had a 2002 WR250 and a 2002 CR 250 (one of the bikes done up by Fast by Ferracci for Steve Lamson). Both were great bikes. I raced the CR in a few hare scrambles, but found out quickly I was much faster on the WR as it was much easier to ride which resulted in less rider fatigue.

The WR was not bad on the motocross track either (mind you I'm a 190lb expert level motocrosser). It definitely does not have the explosive power of a pure MX bike thought. Its much smoother and more of a linear power, which may be an advantage for a more novice rider since the bike will be much more predictable. It's much like riding a 125, you use momentum and corner speed to make up for its lack of explosive power. The WR also will lack the suspension for MX. I could jump mine over pretty much anything as long as I landed perfectly. If you land short or long on a good sized jump, the soft suspension will definitely make you pay for it. It would however be more than capable for the majority of novice level jumping.
  10. demi Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 SH 500, 81 Gilera 125 C1, 17 KTM
    the 250 would work just fine for Vet MX...wouldn't miss a beat.