1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR250 Gearing Fitment - Will it Fit? (15/45)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by andrewgore, May 21, 2012.

1. andrewgore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 WR250
    After a weekend on my 2006 WR250 in the UP, I've realized my bike needs some serious gearing changes for riding up there. At 45mph on stock gear (13/48), I felt I was wringing the piss out of the engine. Until I can source a 6 speed setup, how tall of gearing can I go on the bike?

I'm thinking 15/45 should be decent for what I'll be doing. Tighter single track will be a bit of a clutch workout, but won't kill it for me.

Thanks,
    Andrew
  2. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    You only got up to 45 mph in 5th gear?
  3. andrewgore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 WR250
    No. The top speed I did on the bike in 5th was just shy of 70mph. While cruising on various roads @ 45mph, the bike was just revving much higher than I'd prefer for sustained cruising. I rode some of the same sections last year on my prior bike (BMW G450X), and even though on the 450 I could average 10mph faster, even then I was longing for higher top speed.
  4. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I doubt you will get a 15 c/s on the 250...I bet it will eat the swingarm.
  5. andrewgore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 WR250
    As in the diameter of it will hit the front side of the swingarm? I guess I'll have to measure what the clearance is. I thought I'd read that the guys doing the 6 speed swap were putting a 15T CS sprocket on. I was more worried about a 45T rear causing the chain to get too close more so than the CS sprocket. Time to do some measuring.

Andrew
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Andrew,

It is a tight fit but the 15T will work. The plastic chain slider will get eaten in one spot but that won't hurt you. The 15T and 45 is going to make it one tall geared motha. I ran my 06 with 14X48 and while it was doable it was really tough on the clutch in the really tight steep gnar.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    a 45 rear would not hurt anything. try 14/45 first???
  8. andrewgore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 WR250
    I'll have to pick up a couple combos and give it a try. I'll give the 14/48, 14/45, 15/48, 15/45 a try. None will be ideal for steep gnarly stuff, but I'm in the midwest. An elevation change of 1000' just ain't happening. This won't be race gearing either. Mostly be used for trail type stuff up north. Appreciate the help.

Andrew