1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR250 Jetting off? Too much oil?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by mkfox, Jun 24, 2013.

1. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    FISHIN 037.jpg 2 Strokes are new to me. I have ridden stock air cooled 4 strokes my whole life and have never played with jetting, just run them the way they were. Took the first real adventure on the 02 WR250 this weekend. Seems to run good to me, but lack of experience in the way a 2 stroke should run. 146 miles of open trail riding. I tend to run at lower RPM's getting into the mid-range often too. Not a revver. I noticed a large amount of oil on the exhaust. Pipe stinger is covered with oil with about a 6 inch line running down it. I run Amsoil Interceptor at 50:1. Doesn't seem like it would be too much oil. Stock Mikuni. A Lectron is in store, but have to get by the next couple of months. Was thinking maybe too rich, fuel mileage was not I had hoped it would be. Should i drop the needle, different pilots, what do you think. I know jetting has been covered a zillion times, but I want to learn. Thanks for your help.

Mike
  2. machstar57 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1993 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    KAWASAKI KDX
    this is a big thing with 2 strokes, they will all have some oil in the exhaust but if you have that much then your jetting might be slightly off.
  3. sned2502st Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR250
    Nice looking setup you got there. I have tried to eliminate spooge from a few different 2 strokes I had in the past. I never was able to stop it, but cut back a little bit. I dont even attempt to stop it anymore, as long as the bike runs good. I do adjust the air screw from time to time depending on temp and how I will be riding. Doesnt make much of a difference but it is easy to do. Some oils seem to be worse than others and some bikes are worse than others. If you are not running it hard I would start with the pilot jet.
  4. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    Forgot to add. Subframe is completely covered as well as the air box.
  5. machstar57 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1993 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    KAWASAKI KDX
    then your jetting is definitely off cause I run the same oil at the same ratio and I've never really had that much of a problem with it. I have an '87 kdx 200 and the jetting was off on that and I would get the same thing.
  6. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Sounds like your jetting is off but before I touched the carb I would do a compression test to confirm the topend is good.
  7. machstar57 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1993 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    KAWASAKI KDX
    also your silencer might need repacked
  8. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
    Nice bike, so clean and shiny!

Sounds like you're rich, how does it idle? If you have to keep blipping the throttle to keep it running try adjusting the air screw. With the bike warm and cleaned out turn it out 1/2 turn at a time until you find the point where it seems to run best, then turn it in about a 1/4 turn. Kill the engine and count the number of turns in until it seats. If it's more than 3 you should try a smaller pilot.

If it idles fine and your still spooging then try dropping the needle a slot at a time.

I've got a lectron on mine, haven't touched it after getting it set up. Easy to start, runs great and almost no oil through the pipe.
  9. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    Hopefully not a repack yet. Silencer has 146 miles on it.
  10. machstar57 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1993 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    KAWASAKI KDX
    fmf suggests repacking them after 12 hours of ride time
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    You should be able to tune that spooge out (with help from here) of the exhaust and a 2t machine likes to REV ... But I do understand the need to short-shift these beasts in the woods and other tight places ...

My 08 WR250 stock bike (~38:1 mix) has very little oil-drip after a ride unless I ride it slowly alot on a ride due to whatever reason ... Not sure what the CARB setting are exactly but whatever it is, I'm OK with it ...Perfect? Nope ... Beasty? Yep when ridden as a 2t ... So if I see oil on my exhaust, it's the riders fault, not that Husky ...

And nice looking 100th YR addition bike! 2t machines naturally burn more gas ;( ... I let mine roll down hills dead or idling to save gas ...
  12. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    Idles perfect all the time. Cold, warm, you name it. Since I purchased has not failed to start first kick ANYTIME. Plug is black and oily too. I could only get about 60 miles on a tank (IMS 3.4) That was averaging about 30 mph on rolling wide open trails. I did notice this evenning some fuel leaking out the overflow. Maybe float height too. I will dive into it this weekend. Will check compression first, check float height and needle and seat, and then drop the needle if need be. We'll see where it goes from there. Did I say I REALLY love this bike. Handles like a dream coming off a 600 4 stroke!
    riz likes this.
  13. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

have you sealed between your spark arrestor and stinger (rubber grommet) put high temp silicone on both ends and put it together this helps.. trust me.. I had oil all over leaking out of that
  14. sned2502st Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR250
    You said your plug is black and oily, it should be brown and not oily.
  15. mkfox Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Greeves Griffon
    I have the rubber seal covering the joint. I will add high temp silicone also and try that. Thanks.
  16. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    I never had any luck getting the jetting right on my 02 cr250. When lugging the bike it would eat plugs, one every 8 hrs or so. I found the stock carb too finicky. I installed a pwk and changed the reeds to Boyenson and the reed block from a 99 Honda cr250. My jetting is spot on now with a nice brown plug. Plugs last until I decide to change them.