1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR250 - Kick start

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Myles Walshe, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Been and gone, TL1000R & FIreblade
    Hi All.

Loving my WR250 - wish I could get out an use it some more but having to stay off it until after an up coming holiday (can't go on crtuches :)).

Just had a quick question about the kick start. I've read up about them and I'm aware that some people don't like the short lever, but being over 6' it doesn't cause me any problems.. one thing that does is that some times when I try and push down on the kick start level (with my foot, not hand or anything) it's like I might as well be pushing on a brick wall.. it will not budge. If I take the pressure off and try again it's normally fine.. just wanted to check if this is normal?

Thanks in advance

Myles
  2. robertk61 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250
    Nope that's not normal? I cycle mine fairly easily till TDC then give it a swift kick and away it goes, others may chime in here but a ring could be catching on a port or something, have you ever had the top end off to have a look?
    One way to do a quick check it to pull off the pipe and have a look inside the exhaust port.
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  3. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Robert. That's good to know it's not normal (if you know what I mean!). Never had the top off as only a few weeks of ownership. What might I see if I have the exhaust off? Would there be visible scaring if a ring was catching?. 2ts are a new world to me!

Thanks again mate
  4. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I've just been out to the garage to have another go at starting.. I think I'm being a wimp :)... I've never tried starting the bike on the stand (being tall I don't need to).. holly cow it's easy to kick over when right up on top.. still has a good bit of resistance before what must be tdc but can still kick it.. winging pom I think you'd say Robert ;)
  5. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    I would have thought if it was a ring catching on a port you'd have other symtoms, and also if that happens your likely to have damaged the ring. If your kick start is solid but the problem is intermitant its probly something to do with the actual kick-start mechanism. Next time it happens (or keep trying until it happens) I would remove the clutch cover (as its easy but access will be limited) and have a nose around in there. The kick-start shaft goes thru the engine to the clutch side. Where are you in UK. Me south East.
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  6. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    if its a compression resistance it'll feel firm but have a bit of bleed down if you keep pressure on the lever.
    if it's a mechanical block it will have 100% dead stop solid, and it wont be erratic in most cases. pull the filler cap and look see at your primary nut. make sure it didnt fall off and all that...but i doubt it.

the ring will only catch once. then it's game over...boom- new engine time.
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  7. Doug Piper Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 SM250
    I am with PVDUKE on this one if the engine has had a recon recently then compression will be up and if you find TDC with the kick start lever then it will appear stuck.
    Myles Walshe likes this.
  8. Myles Walshe Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm confident it's just compression as the motor only has 19 hours on it. I'm south east too.. near Winchester, Hampshire. Where are you Crocus?