1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc wr250 lacking power

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by huskyhigh, Nov 2, 2012.

1. huskyhigh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    00 ktm 250exc
    hey guys looking for some help here. I recently got a 04 wr250 for a great price but needs a little tlc. It starts up first kick and runs good, but doesnt seem to have the power it should. it does not have the top end snap i think it should. Its all stock except vforce reeds. Ive gone through the basic...clean card repacked silencer, check power valve opperation, reeds look good. Did a compression test, its at 160psi. Jetting is at 400 main and 35 pilot with a #4 slide. Its the mikuni TMX carb. Looking for some recommendations, appreciate any help i can get.
  2. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    I would put a new piston in for starters, if it still has the original it could self destruct at any time. The stock compression ratio is low, I had my head modified for more compression, my engine now reads 180-190 PSI. That will help the low/midrange power. The FMF Gnarly and Powercore silencer work really well on this motor, especially if you're looking for more top end.
  3. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Does it flatten out on the top? My 09 WR 250 in stock form would rip in the mid but go flat on top (it did this more if I richened the main). After switching to the Gnarly pipe I was able to jet it richer on the main and it revved out way better + it smoothed out the mid without taking anything away.
    ray_ray likes this.
  4. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Agreed. Safe mechanicals (new piston) then head mod is number one.
  5. 2stroked Husqvarna
    A Class

Repack the silencer, change the plug, check the power valve, if it is sticking it will make it loose top, Mine would stick open and would loose bottom until it would go back, I was using Castor 927 and seemed to gum up the power valve. I new a few guys that went a lot of hours on a piston, I doubt it is a stock piston, take the exhaust off and look up in the cylinder, you can see the piston and check for wear. My 07 with the stock pipe and silencer would still pull up top with the same jetting
  6. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Take off cover and check power valve. I was having same prob and found out that the little plastic control arm was broken. $5 part, easy to put back. Problem solved n
  7. Bench Racer 117 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR250
    New top end! My bike tested out at 205 psi with a year on it. I would change it at 180 psi.160 is to low.
  8. huskyhigh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    00 ktm 250exc
    ok i didnt want to but ill look into i new top end. didnt want too put much money into it but seems like the right thing to do. This is my first husky, is there anything i should about doing a top end as a posed to a jap bike? landydoug yes it does flatten out at the top end with strong mid, decent low end. Thanks guys
  9. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Di you check power valve. It may be sticking, or disconnected. Those bolts rattle off the post sometimes.
  10. huskyhigh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    00 ktm 250exc
    yes i checked the power valve. Everything is functioning
  11. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    Bummer. I was hoping that it was something simple and cheap. I don't have the Mikuni carb, so I dont know if those jetting spec's are good. Either way a new top end is going to be nice. It will run for a long time. Good luck and keep us posted with how it comes along
  12. huskyhigh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    00 ktm 250exc
    thanks for the responses guys. I was hoping it was the power valve but i took the lef cover off and it was moving freely and seemed to be opening all the way when revved a little less than half throttle (on the stand in neutral.) Then took the right hand side off and same thing looked good, was not gummed up too much. I'm thinking it may be time for a new top end. I'm just worried if a do a top end and it still is where its at ill be pissed! haha. Im more than capable of doing it i just dont want this bike to be a money pit. As far as pistons pro-x seems to be the cheapest but should i just go for the wiseco? Thanks again.
  13. huskyhigh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    00 ktm 250exc
    alright so i got borrowed my buddies compression tester and it read 210psi consistently... glad i didnt get the parts for a new top end. Dont buy a comp tester on ebay. so now my question is where am i losing the power? should i switch out the carb? different jetting? i dont know where to start, i thought it was the top end but pleasantly surprised when i saw 210psi. Any thoughts?
  14. 454x Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165 w/36mm lectron.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 BETA 300RR w/36mm lectron.
    Take your muffler off and see if it makes a differance.If it does your silencer needs to be repacked.
  15. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    What is your current jetting? As I said above I had to go lean on the main to get the stock pipe to rev out. (390-400) Now that I have a gnarly pipe I'm using a 430 main and it rips all the way through. If you really like top end power I've heard that the Pro Circuit pipe gives it even more top end.
  16. huskyhigh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    00 ktm 250exc
    It has a 400 main jet and 35 pilot, the silencer has been repacked. i'll try a couple diff jets and look into a new pipe. thanks again