1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc wr300 break in period over

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by billyp10980, Dec 12, 2011.

1. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok. I have been riding my 2009 wr 300 for a few weeks now. Sag is set , clickers are where I want them. Overall the bike is great in the tight rocky sing singletrack I ride. Plenty of power and the suspension soaks up the rocks very good. I have even put my first good dent in the pipe. Lol! My biggest issue is the height. I still get high sided alot on tight turns both up and down tight trails. Is this the time I bring the fork tubes up in the triple clamps? Any other suggestions?
  2. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Step the seat
  3. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Go under Technical Section. Look @ Dwight's (Vinduro) sag numbers. Make sure your front sag is correct/spring rates. Should carve like butter, once this is done.
  4. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Can also be the type of rear tyre your using and condition?

If the rear end tends to skip or washout, lowering or raising the front end will only cause the front to steer quicker or slower...the real problem is either the preload or rebound damping at the rear.
    Compression is the ability for the rear to fight bottoming and in most cases, the front compression clicker settings roughly equal the rear.
    Preload is the amount of force you have placed on the spring (this is how you set the rear sag too), too low and the bike's rear will want to squat under acceleration and bike will handle like a pig; too much and your arse and spine will cop a workout as all those force from bumps are transferred through your arseameter.
    Also, the rear spring should be to your weight, too soft and rear will want to slide as it reduces what the rebound damping is trying too do (is your front steering sharply at this stage?); too hard and the bike feels like a plank of wood and the bike will want to mono at every opportunity.
    You've set the sag (what is it?) so the it's in the ball park, now you need to visually see the the speed in which the rear rises when you push down on the seat...quick then this indicates a soft rebound setting vs slow indicating hard rebound setting.
    Most bike's today have high speed and low speed rebound, just focus on the low speed (low speed = large, square type bumps vs high speed = serious of small round bumps) rebounding l think this where your problems lie.
    Again, write things down and adjust, ride and note the difference in the clicker settings before you move on to the next part of the suspension (preload, rebound, compression).

Lastly, how are you braking coming into these low speed/tight turns as it can also be technique that causes the rear slide out if you are locking/sliding into these corners via the rear brake?

Suspenion seems like a pain in the arse but if you play with one setting at a time, you'll get your head around it - remember, what you do to the rear will effect your front end.
  5. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    How tall are you? I am about 6' and this bike fits me just about perfect. My YZ on the other hand, is a tad scrunched up. It could be the ergos, and stepping the seat, like troffer said would be a good way to go. Not sure if someone makes a link to lower it or not, that may be an option as well.
  6. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi! I mad my seat a step seat. i cut 1 inch of the middle section as i,m 175cm. i have a percfect height, but the seat is not that comfy to say the least. It,s hard but it,s better when i am about to fall off as i can push back much easier now. You just need a fat ass to compensate=)!
  7. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm 5'8" 180lbs (give or take a couple meals). The tires are an issue as they are stock and don't grip very well but I'm not sure thats the problem. I will be replacing the tires soon though. The bike feels tall on flat ground as well but I think that is just because I'm used to riding my old beat up kdx that really doesnt take much weight for it to squat down. Overall handling is good except in the tight rocky turns especially going uphill or a sharp downhill drop. I get high sided and can't get a foot down at all and end up just falling over when I run into trouble. The suspension soaks up the rocks really well in most situations. I know it will take some getting used to but I would be able to take some turns a bit tighter and when it gets a little hairy it would just like to be able to put a leg out and at least touch the ground. I'm not tall I know but sometimes I feel like I'm 4'9".
  8. billyp10980 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Raised the fork tubes in the triple clamps today. Noticed a difference right away. Handling felt much better. I had much more control of the bike and moved quicker through the tight stuff. Amazing what a little adjustment will do.