1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc wr300 busted engine mounts

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by shawbagga, Nov 19, 2011.

1. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    anyone else broken the alloy engine brackets running off the cylinder head back to the frame on their wr's? 1 of mine cracked not long after i got the bike and mechanic reckons take em off and leave em off(said they take em off the mx 2 strokes they race-showed me one so he wasnt full of it!). said its just the frames flex & torsional aspects and as long as bottom engine mounts and swingarm bolt tight itd be sweet(double locknuts & locktight!), even cases where theyve lifted the cylinder head hence why he wasnt too keen on em. recently another mechanic quizzed me why i didnt have em on, told him and he said hed still rather em on than off but could see benefits both ways. anyone run their bike without and had any trouble or should i just make a new one and stick em back on? anyone ever heard of the head being 'lifted' by these bits of alloy?
  2. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    I know guys that crank them down real tight and they break. Try leaving them on and torque all 3 to 10ft lbs/blue loctite. Make sure the rest you torque to specs/loctite.
  3. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just read an OLD Dirt Rider article about Jeff Fredette's hop up tricks for an '88 KDX 200 (one of the old air cooled models), and he said to run without the head stay brackets, especially if you had problems with blown head gaskets. I would think it might make a difference to handling, but not so significant that it would be a problem to run without them.
  4. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    well been running without them for awhile now and havnt noticed any difference handling wise(not that good a rider to notice!) but in 2 minds now as wheter to put em back on or not. might make a newbie and put em back on after rebuild and see if they crack again. thanks for replies
  5. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

The head bolt vibrated out of mine so I ran it for a while without the stays. The vibration felt worse and more frame flex so I have now refitted them. I guess it is so simple to remove the stays take yours off and give it a try.
  6. CagivaWMX Husqvarna
    AA Class

I raced a CR 250 in 2002...same basic bike as your WR 250/300. These mounts broke all the time. I can't imagine riding the bike without them because the bike would vibrate like crazy as soon as one would break. Usually it would make it through the majority of a moto and then vibrate for the last lap or two. Check your other engine bolts too...if they are loose it puts extra stress on that upper alum. triangle bracket and will break them. I eventually made a new set out of stainless steel and fixed the problem. It wasn't that big of deal....but it's something Husqvarna obviously should of fixed by now.
  7. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    yeah think engine mounts were bit loose & swingarm bolt. tightened, loctited & locknutted, c how she goes now. thanks