1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st wr300 ceased 3rd ride

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by CrumyHusky, Oct 20, 2014.

1. CrumyHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    s1000rr
    I purchased my 2013 wr300 about 2 months ago as a left over with no hours on it. I took it out for the third time yesterday, after about 4 hours of riding the motor locked on me as i was cruising in fourth gear. After a serious kick i was able to what i considered uncease it. After removing the plug and placing my thumb in the plug inlet, i came to realize it had no compression. Being that i'm not to knowledgeable on this bike i was wondering if i could get some feed back from you guys. I wanna know if there was a proper way to break in a 2 stroke motor and weather or not my dealer told me the wrong mixture for me to run which was 40:1. Any feedback would be help full at this point, thanks
  2. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    40:1 is fine. You said you were "crusing" in 4th gear, is the bike jetted right? For a new bike to seize up, I would have to guess it was jetting related and you were cruising in a "lean" area of the jetting possibly? Hard to know for sure without more details.

Regarding proper ways to break in a motor, you will get all kinds of opinions on that! I always do 3-4 heat cycles of 10-15 minutes each on my 2 strokes, then ride them like I stole them. Never had any issues in the last 25 years, but I always jet my bike from the get go before I start to really wring it out so I know the fueling is good across the powerband.
    Motosportz likes this.
  3. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

More than likely , leaking reed block
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I sealed the intake manifold to the reed block with RTV, shortly after I got my 300. Also drilled little holes in the drain plug wall just above the threads, so that gasoline can always easily reach the main jet, and finally installed the JD Racing jetting kit, and using a larger than suggested main jet #440). And I run my premix at 60:1. Motorex Crosspower.
    Motosportz likes this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    two good responses above. Seems these 300's have a reputation for seizing some. Like Troffer mentions reed block leaks are semi common. Also 2 strokes tend to not like steady running. Good to be on and off the throttle while cruising. Good luck.
  6. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    At PDI we seal reed cage with Honda HP2 and 450 main/45 pilot/gay69 needle/middle clip.For 13/14s that seems to be working for a great start and break in.Most guys leave it just like that and no problems at 40:1 Spectro 2 platinum.
    Motosportz likes this.
  7. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Take it apart and see what it looks like.

I have a spare WR250 motor with a wide ratio trans you can drop right in, but to replace a motor on a brand new bike.....kinda uncool I know.

Are you sure you used 2 stroke oil for the premix?
  8. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    Break in on this bike calls for 32:1 rather than 40:1. Ive sealed up my reed block with the 92-01 Honda cr250 gaskets and run a jd jet kit in the provided TMX. I also run lots of oil (32:1) and so far after 67 hrs on my 2014 WR300 - all is very well.
    Motosportz likes this.
  9. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Heat cycles 30:1 pre mix each heat cyclye longer than last, dond lug the engine dont rev the hell outta it your bedding the rings to cylinder wall.
    See if dealer will help towards repair cost if it was down to jetting it was sort of out of your hands.
  10. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    if seizure due to leak in intake, it's a warranty item, go back to your dealer. I would.
  11. Al H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1150GS 2001, KTM620
    Personally I wouldn't mention anything about cruising as the cause could be put down to this and a possible warranty void. If you don't think you have done anything major out of the normal run in procedures and asked, I would say "nothing out of the ordinary", not mentioning cruising. Let the shop determine the cause by a tear down.
    shrubitup and Comanche87 like this.
  12. CrumyHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    s1000rr
    Thank you. Ill take everyones advice into consideration, i will be drooping the bike off on thursday at the dealer n hoping for the best. Both from the condition of the motor onced opened and the dealers willingness to cooaporate with me. Im hoping there is a proper way of determining or diagnosing and faulty jet setup. Ill also bring up the reed block gasket and see what they have to say only after they give me a diag.
    Motosportz and Dirtdame like this.
  13. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph

yep
  14. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Who is the dealer and where are you in NJ?