1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR300 Dual Sport?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by hogwackr, Jan 5, 2011.

1. hogwackr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    18 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 HD Street Glide
    I'm considering getting a 2011 WR300 as a trail weapon. My Only concerns are gearing and fuel range. I have a great dealer who is giving me a good deal on a 2011, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to take the plunge from my 09 TE450. I plan on keeping the TE. Doe's anyone dual sport a WR for 10 miles of road just to tear some dirt? Who offers a decent dual sport kit to get this job done on pavement? I ride around a 55MPH avg,
  2. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    My 09 300 is plated. I ride it about 12 miles one-way to a local OHV area (lucky for me, 8+ of those miles are on dirt roads). Other than that, I'll trailer it, or just link up trails where it's a couple miles between.

I am running stock gearing and the roads where I ride are limited to 35 mph. I couldn't imagine riding at a steady 55 or higher with stock gearing. You run out of gears pretty quick. Still, it's worth it to not have to trailer the bike. As far as a kit, I kind of rolled my own with a TrailTech X2 head light, HDB fold-out mirrors, IMS 3.4 tank, Baja Designs tail light and a Sicass horn kit that runs off an R/C battery. I have the Brembo microswitch for the front brake activating the tail light and a hydraulic switch for the rear. I got a few connectors from that guy in Japan (Eastern Beaver) and did my own wiring. It was kind of a fun project and the payoff was the State Patrol signing off on my conversion and getting the plate!
    gottaset likes this.
  3. hogwackr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    18 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 HD Street Glide
    How bad would it be to add a tooth to the countershaft sprocket? Would it kill first gear in the tight stuff?
  4. Flyin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 300
    I went up to a 14t on the front and ride very tight stuff, and highways too.
    The motor will easily pull the 14t in tight nasty trails.

I don't feel comfortable with cruising on the highway, my jetting seems lean at that spot where you would hold it to just maintain 55. I wind up pinning it then letting off, then repeating that the whole way.
    Richening with the air screw or needle just makes it too rich after that spot.

*I do have a modded head, that may be why it pulls the 14t effortlessly.
  5. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi! I use my bike everywhere. I use it with Supermoto wheels in the summer, iceracing tyres now, and Enduro tyres when i feel like it. We also do some highspeed fireroads and small gravelroad riding next to the highways outside our city. We all have plated bikes. We use Endurotyres and different gearing and it´s not unusual that we do 50-60 miles in a day. On the fireroads and gravelroads i gear my bike 14/42 mostly, and when i go Supermoto i use 15/38. I have very different jettings depending on temp of course and type of riding. I am very sensitive about the jetting for streetuse as i don´t like "bluddering around "on the streets! I have the Keihin carb and high comp head which is very good:thumbsup:!

Johnny
  6. hogwackr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    18 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    13 HD Street Glide
    Thanks for all of the input. I think I can pull it off. I only plan on doing a 10 mile run a few times a year. It's only a mile or two to my usual trailhead.
  7. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Regardless of what bike, you are going to use a trail bike for constant riding on asphalt then l would suggest finding a set of road rims (off an rgv etc) with a cush drive or else the gearbox will shit itself within a few years :thumbsdown: