1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Wr300 gas milage-what's normal?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by firecrotch, May 11, 2012.

1. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I got the oversized tank(3gallon) and on a long ride hit reserves(1 gallon) at 64 mile mark.so I guess I am getting aprox 32 miles a gallon. Is that good, bad, average?
  2. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    I have a WR250 but 32 mpg sounds pretty good to me. I've been riding tight singletrack with some buddies who would claim that we had gone about 45-50 miles and I would still have some fuel in my stock 2.6 gal tank which would be on par with what you are saying. My odometer got a mind of it's own after about 125 miles so I have to go by what riders in my group are saying.
  3. WHITEROCKET5.9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

ive never tried em out but ive heard there are odometer type apps for your phone
  4. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    I should have prefaced it with saying my trail tech voyager is my odometer. And I have found it spot on with my truck
  5. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    Around Moab on technical 1st and 2nd gear trails (Sovereign Trail) and some 5th gear on the pipe sand washes mixed in I'm getting right around 40 mpg. I drained the tank back into my fuel can to check. I'm using a trail tech vector, stock Mikuni and exhaust on my WR300. Motul/91 octane pump gas 50:1, running slightly rich with spooge but super crisp throttle and brown plug with no hesitation anywhere.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I don't have an odometer on my 300, but I am guessing that I get between 35/40 miles per gallon on my local trails, based on how many miles of trail there are on a given loop and how much fuel I have to add to the tank to top it off after a ride. It actually seems to get better mileage than my KDX220 on the same trails.
  7. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I get about 15 mpg racing Yes only 15mpg also about the same on my CR 165 A 3 gall tank get about 43 miles
  8. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I get about 16mpg racing here in the North East......maybe 18-20 just playing around (144 BTW)
  9. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    You guys with the small displacement bikes have larger main jets and have to stay on the main jet more often.:rolleyes:
  10. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

38 mm carb is a 38 mm carb and mains are about the same if not the same. True we are on the main more but I never had a dirt bike that got better than 20-22 MPG EVER.
  11. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    I got 58 miles out of my stock 300 tank before hitting reserve on single track. Pretty consistent around that number. In the faster desert terrain, i ran out once at 40 with lots of wot gas burning.
  12. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Yes, the carbs are all the same size, but stock, the 300 runs a 420, the 250 runs a 430 and the 125 runs a 460 or something like that. The little bikes run smaller pilots and larger mains, the bigger bikes run larger pilots and smaller mains. The larger displacement bikes move more air at low RPMs, and don't rev nearly as high, and so don't move as much air on the main.
  13. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    I did the Desert 100 this year on my WR 300, which consists of 2 50 mile laps through the desert w/a mix of terrain; e.g. open desert, single track, rock gardens, and whoops. Lot's of muddy sections this year too. I have a stock 2.5 gal tank and needed a complete refill after each lap, so that's 50 miles on tank, or 20 mpg. In fact I ran out of gas w/in 100 feet after crossing the finish line and had to push my bike a few hundred yards to my truck :)
  14. Oldmotocrosser Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    None.
    Great info guys thanks! 50 mile range on stock tank seems to be the concensus.
  15. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I get about 20mpg on regular tightish single track on my PWK equipped Wr250 and 19ish on my TMX'd CR135.

Make SURE your float height does not allow gas to pour from the carb when liened over in a turn or in whoops.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    20-25 mpg on thew WR250 in medium tight NW woods. I have no idea how any of you are getting 40 MPG out of this bike. My YZ250 would get FAR better mileage than my WR250 when i had both. The WR's are thirsty. as you can see from the 15-40 mpg posts here how and where you ride have everything to do with it.
  17. wait4me Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 YZ490 "Ol Bessy"
    I am sure it depends on the type of riding and the speed of rider. With my rejetted wr 300 with the tmxx carb I was at 60 miles when I had to go to reserve. That was in the desert with a little bit of everything. But I am a cruiser, not a lot of wot.
  18. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Too high a float level will pour gas all over the ground as you ride.

I went from 15 to 19mpg by just a float adjustment....2mm less.

A PWK carb helps too.
  19. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yep.
  20. incorrigible Husqvarna
    B Class

Unless you are putting down a road at part throttle, you are not getting 40 mpg or so. Running tight to flowing woods with some road connectors, I am getting 20 mpg or 50 miles to the tank on my 09 WR250. I have an ICO Checkmate.