1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc wr300 muffler repack

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by zilly, May 16, 2013.

1. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    Any tricks to getting this thing apart? I have the rivet and bolts out and I can't get the end cap off (spark arrestor end) or the front of the muffler out. I haven't had a whole bunch of time to work on this because I have been really busy with work but I am going to get serious this weekend and I am sure that the smarter/handier people on this site have some ideas.

Its the stock muffler on an 09 wr300.

I know, I know I should have done this a long time ago.
  2. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    If its anything like the 125 silencer, a rubber mallet against the subframe mount point has worked for me.

If it has an o-ring for a sealing surface its a bitch to take off. I have ditched the o-ring and used rtv sealant in it's place. You can't even get the o-ring back on anyway.

It's like it was cryogenically pressed into place. Then embew'd with mystical holding powers no mortal shall understand.
  3. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    Ok, got it.
    Try a hammer and then if that doesn't work then I will consult my mystical power source-also known as a beer fridge.
    Sounds like a fun saturday, but I'd rather be riding.
  4. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    Just went through this, i also ditched the o ring. I thought i would have to bring the silencer to the body shop where i work and use the frame machine to get it apart You dont have enough beer in your fridge to help you get it together w the o ring!!
    Long_Stroke likes this.
  5. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    Absolutely correct. Black RTV silicone it, clean up the edge before it dries.

Rubber mallet the inlet side off first, working it from side to side but don't get too western with it . That will leave the perforated tube exposed that you can push the other end out with. Don't hammer on the tube: it might goof it up enough to make it hard to get back together. Voice of experience.

It could be worse. You could have white oil syndrome and be looking at the now mangled water pump seal. Voice of experience.
  6. justpinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 wr 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 kx 125 with a kdx 200 engine.
    The water pump seal is next on my list. Ha
  7. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    + 1 on the rubber mallet. The first time is a "B" but after that it's pretty easy.
  8. OZ487 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE450, 2011 WR300, 2013 WR300
    I need to repack the stock silencer on my 2011 WR300. Is it necessary to remove the rivets to replace the packing material?
  9. Long_Stroke Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR300, 2013 WR144, 2020 FE501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 DR350, 2002 Aprilia Caponord
    Yes. The entire assembly comes out of the aluminum silencer body. The original packing was really dense and difficult to remove with the perf. tube so I pulled it apart with needle nose pliers. After I removed as much as I could reach with the pliers the rest came out with the assembly.

I used the Lexx brand sheet, cut it in half, and put the seam at the top. I can't remember the logic behind that, after trying and failing to get the big O-ring assembled. Just use RTV. If you use the sheet lay it out with your tube and make sure you cut it the right way. I used masking tape in three places to keep it together as I put it on. The tape burns away or just sits in there. The looser packing does seem quieter.

I like using a rivet gun. Something really crude yet clever about rivets.