1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR300 questions

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Singletrak, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Singletrak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 - 06
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 XC 2010
    Hey Guys,

I am looking for some input/opinions on a WR300. I have read one report on the 300 in Dirt Bike magazine. I am trying to decide if this would possibly be my next bike. I am a mid fourties trail ride/enduro rider wondering how this bike would work for me. Here are some questions that I have:

1. What is the range of the stock tank?

2. How is the suspension stock?

3. After market parts are they available? Are some basic parts interchangable from other makes?

4. What are the required modifications - Carb swap?

5. Does the thing tire you out .. how is the powerband? (I don't like to scream a bike, I like to shift up a gear and use the low end)

6. Power wise what does it compare to? (I had a YZ250 set-up for the woods)

7. Resale value, what is it like?

8. Does it come stock with a spark arrestor?

Any other input good or bad that you would like to share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Singletak
  2. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    1. What is the range of the stock tank?
    2.5 gallon tank. I do lots of elevation gain and I'm a big guy. I'd be on reserve around 50-60 miles depending on time spent on the pipe. I have an 3.4 gallon tank now and get closer to 75-80.

2. How is the suspension stock?
    I have an '09 with Marzocchi forks. The '10 has Kayaba. Don't know much about them, other than they are more popular. Seems to me that with the right valving, springs and fluid, it's a wash in comparison to the stuff the competition uses. The rear is Sachs and the same applies.

3. After market parts are they available? Are some basic parts interchangable from other makes?
    Yes and kinda' yes. There is some good support out there--especially sponsors on this site. Will there be as much as a KTM 300 XC? No. Some stuff does cross over but I'm talking stuff like Brembo brakes and pads, throttle cables, etc--more universal stuff though someone was talking about a Gas Gas piston. Some stuff on mine like the FMF silencer and the IMS tank aren't listed as fitting my application, but they do.

Dumping the Mikuni isn't required. You'll find as many who have no issues with it as those who run the Keihin. There are some who like to tinker. Consider me one of them.

5. Does the thing tire you out .. how is the powerband? (I don't like to scream a bike, I like to shift up a gear and use the low end)
    My 610 tires me out more, but maybe that's because of the extra 70 pounds under me. It's very luggable and it doesn't have that big hit. I'm a new rider to dirt (first 2-stroke) and got mine in my second season. There are people here who race them who can give you a better idea on this one as far as enduros and stuff at race pace.

There is someone here who compared it to a YZ250 power wise and agility wise

7. Resale value, what is it like?
    :excuseme: I plated mine, so I'm hoping that helps my resale. Maybe it being somewhat exclusive would help?

8. Does it come stock with a spark arrestor?
    Yes, there's a sparky
  3. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    Ill try answering with my limited experience. Bought an new 09 WR300 in June
    1. I have pushed 40 miles but was pretty down there. Got an IMS tank now.
    2. Decent. Forks stock are a tad harsh. I put some lighter fork oil in there after break in and it made an unbelieveable difference. If I was racing I would do more work but just trail riding the girl.
    3.Not too much but they are there. Its a hunt and peck game but just about everything you could want is available.
    4.I was told the jetting on it was a carb swap. Rode it about 3 times with stock carb and didnt notice the "bad" spots people always talked about. swapped it anyway and holy snikys what a difference. Just idles smoother. more crisp everywhere but not like a t-rex so its unmanagable.
    5. See 4. ITs extremely smooth but deceptively fast too. Its the first bike I ever had that I can comfortably ride 60-70 miles and at the end of the ride think "wow..am just not as tired as I would be on my old Honda CR250 or KTM 525"
    6. I had a honda cr 250 2001. I tweaked and tweaked that dang thing and simply never got it quite right. It was just such a handfull. This bike is freaking awesome int eh woods. You can totally put put put along and creep through things and 2 seconds later be hauling @ss by just cracking the throttle a little.
    7. actually no idea but it is a dirt bike so...
    8. Good question dont think so(at work so cant confirm)

a little note...my last bike was a KTM 525 and that bike made me lazy and always sat down while riding. I thought it was cause I was old and lazy. This bike is actually comfortable standing and promotes it. I ride it totally different and my cruisng speed is almost double my KTM. Fast speeds are about the same but I dont get beat up on the goat trails anymore and my arm pump has pretty much gone away. For tight trails and some wide open stuff I personally think its the best undiscovered secret going. I rode a 2008 KTM 300 and they where comparable in almost every way...except the Huskys are about 2-3 k less. If you can find them that is.
  4. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Johnny from Sweden here. I race a 2010. Bought it new this christmas. I use my bike everywhere. I go Street/Motard, Enduro and iceracing wintertime. I have the Kayaba fork on mine and is pleased with that. No complains. The best mod i´ve done is to switch to the Keihin carb with JD jetting kit. I have experimented a lot with jetting on both carbs and use different needles for the Keihin depending on where and what i use it for. I really love my bike and it has never missed a beat. Nothing has failed. Compared to a KTM 300 it´s much more stable in ruts and icetracks. Feels slightly larger, but that´s not an issue for me. I´m 5"7 and i cut the seat 1 inch and it´s good for me. In gnarly stuff i ride for 5 hours on one tank. I run my bike quite lean and it´s crisp and responsive in a good way, not explosive. I can absolutely recommend this bike. I´ll buy one again when it´s time to change. Starts easy everytime even though some people comlpain about the kickstarter being in a strange position. Go for a Husky!

Regards Johnny
  5. tony_dt Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am suprised there is not more responses so I will speak up.

I was mid 40's but now I am just past that. I think that it and the KTM 300 are the perfect bike for young men like us.

2. How is the suspension stock? I have an 09 that was well broke in when I bought it. It seemed pretty good, the chassis and handling great. Way to soft for me so installed some heavier springs and had my friend revalve it. I like to do this track that has some MX and some trails. It is much better now.

3. After market parts are they available? Are some basic parts interchangable from other makes? Yep, see some of the sponsors here. They mostly are husky parts carrying people. One addition is Halls for OEM parts.

Yep, while I was not as blown away as some on the difference. The bike is now like Johnny says crisper and I like how I can idle it down now so low it sounds like a 50cc scooter idling. It ran ok for me before the swap, but I think that jetting was pretty good. A little harder starting and not as clean though.

5. Does the thing tire you out .. how is the powerband? (I don't like to scream a bike, I like to shift up a gear and use the low end) Heck no. Easy to ride bike. I am really impressed as I have an 02 CR250 I love which basically has the same motor. The CR is more of a handful and actually feels stronger, but I would rather ride the 300 anyday.

Only comparison I have is my buddies overbored 06 YZ250 and heavy flywheel and the Husky seems similar in overall power but much smoother. The YZ seemed stronger down low.

7. Resale value, what is it like? Probably not good but I bought mine used and I loved that aspect:) Hey, it is much cheaper than a KTM so it can take a hit easier.

8. Does it come stock with a spark arrestor? Yep. Actually the spark arrestor worked pretty good as well as the stock pipe, unlike my old KTM 300. I have a pro circuit pipe to but the stocker is not bad at all. I would stick with it until it got so ugly it had to be replaced.

Other things I like.
    Bulletproof. This is a tried and true motor that lasts forever without much maintenance.
    Simple. Easy to maintain. I like to see folks struggling to get their sparkplugs out and I comment I can change my sparkplug with a 12" crescant if I want.
    I love that it doesn't have Hydraulic brakes or an electric start. No more bleeding clutches or replacing expensive cables, masters, and slave rebuilding. It starts so easy I don't know why in the world anyone would want an electric starter.

It is a little tall and that is probably my biggest gripe. The PO had lowered the rear 1" and I lowered the front forks to 3rd position and it is just right for me now (30" inseam).

Hope this helps, good luck with whatever decision you make.
  6. Daniel508s Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TC510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Suzuki RMz450, 2013 KTM250sx
    Cant wait for that 2011 WR300 vs. FE300 Husaberg two stroke shootout. :thumbsup: Both bikes I'm interested in if I was to get a two stroke.
  7. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
  8. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
  9. motosapiens Husqvarna
    A Class

many of your questions have been answered, but i'll throw in my .02 worth. I have a 2009 wr300 with 70 hrs on it (also a 2008 200xcw with 650 hrs, 2007 kx250 with 200 hrs and 2005 fe550 with 290-ish hrs).

1. range: i'm easily getting 70-75 miles out of the tank in the mountains. I may get a big tank for it, or I may just carry a little gas for longer rides. I mostly got it to race anyway, and there are gas stops.

2. suspension is decent for trailriding but needs a revalve for aggressiver riding or racing. revalved (by ltr) it's fantastic.

5. tire me out? much less than my kx250 for racing. the power is smoother and i can ride the torque and shortshift. The engine is very friendly to my riding style, with no sudden hit, just more power as you turn the throttle.

6. It has similar peak power to a mx250 but much much more low end and a much smoother powerband.

7. resale? No idea, and also no care. None of my bikes are worth anything by the time i'm done with them.

I'm pretty happy with the bike. it has a few idiosyncracies, but I like the motor and the handling and the price.
  10. roostafish Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 KTM 350 XCF
    Looks like all the bases are covered, but I'll throw in my opinion on resale. If you are willing to ride it four years, it will pay for itself. I'd say it will never be worth less than $1000, so when you want a new bike in the fall of 2014, sell this one to a newer rider who bought the wrong kind of bike (no brand poking here, just bought a 450 mx bike to take singletrack trail riding) and sell it to him for $1000-$1500. You'll have a new Husky addict, and the brand will grow again. All the while, your bullet proof Husqvarna will have given you four years of admirable service.

On performance. In my opinion, the KTM is a little more hi zoot, with it's fancy shmancy electric starter, and continual changes to everything on the bike, but in practice, your lap times on a XC course won't change between the two bikes. There's only a sliver of difference in performance either direction, and, it's not about the bike. It's the rider, so save a couple $K and pull the trigger on the Husky, I'd be surprised if you were disappointed.
  11. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thats what I am talking about! Pull the trigger and grab a husky! With the money you save you can add your own personal touch!!
  12. rich300 Husqvarna
    C Class

love my 09 wr300 ,traded my 08 xc300 for it .It took alittle time to dial in, but Im faster on the wr it corners much better.The motor is alittle more lively.Would like to try it with the head shaved, maybe this winter.I did the carb swap ,ee fork re valve.I dont think there is a bad 300 2t made they all work well,I have tryed them.The wr works great and the price is GREAT.
  13. hrc630 Husqvarna
    A Class

After about 30 dirt bike, i can tell you the WR300 is an awsome machine ! After a couple of little tuning (carb, head, etc) this bike is a real weapon. The suspension on my 2010 is PERFECT for me (80% wood ridind and 20% motocross track). My bike put now over 50 whp on the dyno and it is super user friendly on the on the low rev, very strong on the mid and screem like a rocket on top. Very very large and funny powerband. No big hit (except on top) with power everywhere from low to top rpm.

For me, its one of the very best bike i have ever try. The reliability seem also to be bulletproofs. (after a lot of HARD riding hours, no failure...)

You cant go wrong with that bike :cool: