1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc Wr300 vrs Ktm 300xc

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Pinittowinit, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

I currently ride a 08 Ktm 300xc. IM really loving the wr300. Nobody has one in Hawaii that I know of. But ktm's are everywhere. How does the we stack up to the Ktm? I could care less about the hydro clutch and estart. I'm all about simplicity. And I like to be different. Plus my work rig is a husqvarna 510 smr. :cheers:

Oh yeah do the wr300's overheat as fast as the Ktm 300's. I was reading that the rear tire is a 140. :eek: is this true? That's a meaty tire.:thumbsup: also any issues with the engine that needs attention? For example the Ktm 300's has a powervalve issue. Quick fix but if not done could cost you a motor. Thanks and aloha
  2. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Overheat??? Never heard of it.

Yes it runs a 140 ... which is probably a tad big, but it will spin it.

No real issues beyond tuning or swapping the carb...

It is a well sorted engineering marvel. (Or at least a fine off-road machine)
  3. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

I was reading a bit about swapping carbs with a pwk. Can you use a pwk 36? That's what the newer ktm 300's run. Or is the 38 the cats meow?
  4. firecrotch Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 wr300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 ktm 950SM
    funny u mention overheat and KTM. I too just came from a KTM and just automatically thought I needed at least an overflow because I was used to the steam now and then. Bike hasnt even hinted at overheating and I ride extremely slow technical stuff in the NW. Theres just something to be said about the old school tech. Plus everywhere I go I get horded with questions, then it turns to envy when I tell them what I paid for my 300
  5. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have already made up my mind. 2010 wr300. Anybody want a Ktm 300? Cheap!! Lol mine doesnt overheat much. Only in the really nasty stuff. Plus here in Hawaii there us a Ktm leaned on every tree. I like being against the grain. We have a dealer, but they are also the Ktm dealer. They make more money hustling ktm's. I live mine I just think the husky is a better fit. And never even ridden one.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the WR300/250 is as reliable as a hammer. Simple, strong, willing. Little old school but seems to not care and does it's talking on the trail.
  7. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thats what I'm talking about. To me the Ktm seems a little over engineered in some areas. Sometimes simplicity is the way to go. Seems so in this case for sure.:thumbsup:
  8. Rob578 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Beta 300RR Beta 500RS TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda 919 sold FJR1300 sold
    I rarely see my 300 go over 200 degrees even if it's 100 degrees out. I using a trail tech with the temp sensor on the right radiator outlet
  9. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Even in the really nasty mud/ rocks?
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Any bike will overheat but these seem to not want to unlike some other brands / models.
  11. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

Must have big water jackets. Unlike the Ktm 300 which is a 250 jug bored up in turn makes the water jacket smaller
  12. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Just watch the KTM electric leg spin over and no start up. This a very common occurance and is very difficult to eradicate by the dealers. It is not engaging and therefore the motor is not turning over.
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    And when it does it makes a horrible noise.
  14. Oz Dealer Husqvarna

The new 2011 model WR300 will not be old school, sporting Fuel and Oil Injection and an electric leg. Plus the one piece plastics look HOT AS.
  15. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

You sure about that? This is not what I have been finding.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Thats not happening this year as far as I know.
  17. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Huh? The 11s are already here and I can tell you that they have BNGs and a new ignition. Thats it for 11.

I have heard that the "new" bike will not be released until MY12 at the earliest but most likely MY13.
  18. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

I sold my 07ktm 300 exc and bought a new09 300 and haven't looked back. My husky pulls stronger from the bottom up IMO and that's before I even fitted the race head. Marz Front Suspension is a bit softer but easy fix by winding up the preloaded. I replaced the mikuni with th pwk 38 and it hasn't missed a beat. Husky 2strokes are easily as good as the ktm 300s and just do the job without all the hype. All my ktms were like expensive race cars, they spend more time in the workshop than on the track, the husky hasn't missed a beat once I had the jetting and mix ratios sorted.
  19. Pinittowinit Husqvarna
    AA Class

What about the trans? What would it be compared too? A Ktm xc it xcw? Anyone have the gear ratios?
  20. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well mine does 145klm hr running 14/45 and it has not hesitation on getting there.
    Ive just put the race head on and will be going to 14/42 as she pulls hard everywhere now :)