1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR300 - Your opinions please

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by CrankN, Dec 27, 2010.

1. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Hi guys, got to spend the day on a '10 KTM300 and had an absulute blast. It was awesome to ride, turned quick, and the power spread was great. Was fast flowing trails.
    Only things that didn't appeal would be the head shake at around 100km/h on the dirt or tar. Would have loved to try the hard spring in the power valves for more sting.

Now i've been a Husky man for a while now and currently have a TE610 which i have set up as a motard. Is great for commuting (work and back) but it's to heavy for the type of trail riding i do. Am thinking of going the 2 stroke again.....(used to own a KDX200 or 3) and was hoping to hear your thoughts on the WR300.

Can i compare it to the KTM in any way or are they too different?
    How can you compare the power spread, and overall ridability?
    I guess some of you have not rode the KTM so let me know what you like about the Husky.

Am looking at a new bike or close to, when was the latest major upgrade on the WR?

I know the KTM has elec. start and hydro clutch but i can get over that. Anyway, the Husky is heaps cheaper so that's a plus.

Will keep the motard setup off the 610 some am hoping it will fit on the 2 banger.....

Your thoughts are appreciated :)
  2. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi! I have a 2010 300 and my friend has a 300 KTM. I have tried the KTM of course and they are quite different. the KTM feels smaller. it is also more unstable in ruts and on the icetracks we ride.

The powerband is giving more of a hit on the KTM, especially if you keep the bad Mikuni carb=).Buy a Keihin PWK AS 38 if you buy the Husky! It transforms the bike! I prefer the slightly more controllable delivery on the Husky with the keihin.

The husky is much easier to work on. Much more space to reach everything. You don´t need tools to remove the seat on a Husky!

The KTM´s are ugly in my eyes, especially when they get a little worn. A 2008 bike looks like it´s 10 years old=).

Both bikes semms to be very reliable. I have done about 75 hours on mine and nothing has broken. I use the keihin carb and high comp head and it goes like a rocket. No issues, except that i had to tighten some hose clips on the cooling hoses=).

Some stuff needs to be checked on a new bike: the dirt protector for the rear shock wears on the swingarm, but i just put a piece of neoprene rubber on the swingarm.

Check engine bolts.

Grease reaer suspension linkage often.

grease bolts for chain adjustment often.

Grease bolts for the plastic parts often and don´t tighten too hard.

That´s about it i think. I have probably missed something.

Good luck with your choice of bike!

Johnny.
  3. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Wow, great feedback. Any others like to comment?
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Some PRO guy just choose the 300 Husky for his ride across the roof of Africa ... Finished 3rd after getting lost out there on last day or he would have won it most likely ... Bobby Garrison won a 2T championship race on a hopped up 300 Husky last yr at Glen Helens track (last year I think) ... PROs can win on this Husky 4 sure ;)
  5. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

And Seb Guillaume was 2nd in the WEC!
  6. marty922 Husqvarna
    B Class

I've only done about 15 hrs on my 2010 WR300 so far. So I'm not the most experienced to comment, but here they are anyway -

• Goes like a cut cat. Absolutely rapt with the power. I've come from a 2005 KTM 250EXC 2T.
    • Fuel range is horrible.. I'm not sure if it's jetted too fat or what, but I'm only getting about 50-601 kms before hitting reserve. Used to be able to do 80-90 without using reserve on the KTM and my mate who bought a 2011 300EXC would have only used 2/3 of a tank when I hit reserve. I've ordered an IMS tank which should improve things - increases capacity from 9.5 litres to 12.6 litres (3.4 US gallons).
    • Looks like I've given the shifter a smack on something, so have ordered an aftermarket item.
    • So far I'm not stressed by the lack of a hydraulic clutch - although my mate's KTM clutch does feel nicer.
    • Shock mudflap protector thingo - started making marks in my swingarm after just 2 rides. I just cut the ribbed bits off with a sharp Stanley knife - seems all good now.
    • Chewed through a set of rear pads in about 130kms - plenty of mud riding in that and I'm also pretty hard on rear brakes - especially on this as I seem to be arriving into corners way hotter than I'm used to :)
    • Haven't had any nuts/bolts come loose - but I have checked and also 'blue' loctited a few bolts prior to riding.
    • Radiator hose was leaking near the water pump - replaced under warranty.
    • Kick starter took a bit of getting used to - much shorter than the 250 KTM I had. All sorted now - two short sharp kicks and it goes pretty much every time - from cold as well.
    • Speedo isn't working - well, the odometer isn't when compared to a GPS. Not sure what to do about that. Haven't checked the hour meter though - hmm, actually, does it have an hour meter?
    • Not a lot of aftermarket parts are listed on websites - but WR250 parts usually fit the 300. Refer to the list around here somewhere for Husky parts.
    • So far I've fitted Ego barkbusters, B&B bashplate and frame guards, and an Uptite front axle bolt/nut to replace the stock allen key bolt/nut.
    • I've read that a lot of people seem to think the stock carb is no good. I'm far from an expert, but everything seems to going pretty well so far. I'd be riding it stock first before lashing out on a new one.
    Overall I'm pretty happy - the only downside being the range - hopefully I'll get over that when the tank arrives. I've had KTMs since '97 - so this is a bit of a departure for me - but I'm loving it. Especially as I got mine for AUD$9700 on road (ie. full road registration) vs a KTM 300 which would've been closer to $13k or so?

Hope that helps.

Oh yeah - I've lost one of the WR300 stickers from the right sidecover :(
  7. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

hello! Sounds like your jetting needs sorting because of the fuel consumption! Do you know how it is jetted? What elevation and temp are you riding at?

Johnny
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    My buddy has an 09 300xcw, so I've gotten ride it a few times and compare it to my 09 wr300. My thoughts are as follows...
    The KTM feels smaller between the legs, it steers very fast and is twitchy at speed, the motor barks hard off the bottom and signs off early.

The WR300 is practically the opposite. It feels larger between the legs, but not to the point its obtrusive. It steers slower and is rock solid at speed, the motor is softer on the bottom but gets into a MAJOR mid-top end rush. I'm not sure how it would show on a dyno, but the Husky feels quite a bit more powerful once onto the pipe and screaming.

Those are the things I could feel. My buddy has a rekluse with a LH brake setup, so its not the easiest bike for me to ride but I've ridden enough to get a good feel for it. The hydro clutch is Godly (before it was removed for the LHRB) and the e-start sure is nice, but I'm not really into the feel of the KTM chassis nor am I into the price tag. The Husky just feels 'right' to me
  9. tony_dt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Buy the KTM please! Don't even think about buying the Husky.
    I am looking for another cheap WR300 for next year and I don't want you buying them all up :p
    Or you can buy it and if you don't like it you can just keep it in the garage until I am ready to buy:lol:
  10. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Yes i would agree the KTM steers fast and is twitchy at speed. Almost need a steering dampner???
    Can't get over the tunability it has but, with the 3 different power valve springs AND a map switch.
    Along with elec. start and better ergos, i'd happily buy one at a premium.... but the Husky is soooo damn cheap and still a great bike. That's enough to sway me back :)
  11. Sandgroper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yup have to agree, KTM is twitchy to say the least. If you go orange may as well ad another 400 bucks for a steering damper ;)
    I had a 07 ktoom EXC 300, twitchy steering, more hit in the power band (as already mentioned above) but no more actual power. It just delivers it differently. The one reason I bought my ex KTM was because everyone raved about the EXC 300 and of course Michael Knight just made them look so much more capable. Like most things tho you should never buy something you dream about because it never lives up to your expectations... just like the hot chick you were drooling over down the street yesterday :)
    I never wanted a Husky 2 stroke originally but now I have one and love it. You could say its the average looking chick in the middle of the crowd who knows how to work you over. Yes shes rough around the edges but she works that little bit harder to make you happy and then some! Ive had a few bikes in my time and one thing ive noticed about the handling is that every KTM Ive owned has had headshake issues at speed but the Husky (my ex 510TXC and the current 300) cruise thru the desert like riding in a limousine, straight and predictable, smooth and controlled, even without a damper fitted. Once I swapped out the Mikuni for the PWK38 I had my WR300 up to 145 on the tarmac with knobbies (while hitting small speed humps) and it didnt even think of twitching. That in itself gives me confidence when going at break neck speeds in the open country :) Parts are also plentiful if you know where to look and are not too fusy.
    The Husky is a raw animal compared to many bikes but once you make the changes as mentioned in previous posts, such as putting in a PWK 38 carb, getting the jetting dailed in, and getting used to the shitty little kick starter your wont look back. Kicking it is a breeze once you know how. Just remember to kick backwards towards the rear sprocket and not down.
    Well that is if you buy one :)