1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc WR360 Stator and Coil specs

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Leepet, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Leepet Husqvarna
    A Class

Hi, I have a 2000 WR360 that died on me recently out on a ride. It was like I'd hit the kill switch. After a clean up of all the usual stuff (carby, new plug, check all connections etc.) I got it going again but it is hard to start and refuses to start when hot.

I suspect it's an electrical problem so I want to go through the whole system and, hopefully, find the issue so I can have some confidence in it when I'm deep in the bush.

So, does anyone have the stator and coil resistance specs for the 360? I have a manual (the .pdf available on the net) but it doesn't have much to say about testing the electrical components unfortunately.

Cheers

Pete
  2. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    The same thing happened to me Leepet on the second ride of the newly assembled bike.
    I went through the entire electrical system to find the plug cap was no good.
    The plug caps have a 5 k ohm resistor in them & when the temperature increases the resistance value changes to a point where it fails. I put in a new one & she fired up straight away. Part #NGK TB05EM 8084 blue cap

I measured my 2000 WR360 stator & coil for you.

Stator -
    Yellow to earth - 0.7 ohm, LIGHTING COIL
    Dark blue to Light blue - 127.5 ohm, PULSE COIL

Ignition coil -
    White /Blue to green(Earth) - 0.9 ohm

I also measured my 1995 WR125 stator & the readings were -
    Stator -
    Yellow to earth - 0.6 ohm
    Blue to Black/white - 129.7 ohm

I didn't bother with the coil as it is a lot smaller than the 360's

The stators look the same apart from the cabling & connectors that come out of the stator's. The black/white cable on the 125 looks like it replaces the light blue one on the 360. I havent tried swapping the stators yet to see if they are compatible, knowing Husqvarna they probably are interchangeable, with a little improvisation to the connectors.

Good luck.:thumbsup:
  3. Leepet Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks mate, that is a huge help. Specs, part numbers... it doesn't get any better! [IMG]

As it turned out, my coil and plug cap read ok both hot and cold. The stator on the other hand jumped from 123 ohm's when cold to 150 after 5 minutes running, at which point I could feel it becoming hesitant and had to keep it revving to keep running so I let it die. Once turned off, the resistance dropped from the high of 150 rapidly.

Now to get it rewound [IMG]

Thanks again Ausky. Bl00dy awesome.
  4. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Glad to help! It sounds like the insulation may be breaking down between the pulse coil windings. 150 ohms is still in circuit & not open circuit, it can be due to the engine heating up, especially if the bike is sitting still while you run it. The plug cap is also heating up at the same time.
    I'd try a $20 plug cap first before a $150 rewind. It doesn't hurt to have a spare in the kit if it is not the problem.
    I have a new stator on the way & I will post resistance values once I get a chance to test it.
    I did also notice that the rotor (Magnet part) is the same for both models as well.
  5. Leepet Husqvarna
    A Class

Yeah, it was still going but I could feel a definite difference that was progressively getting worse so I was fairly sure something would show up somewhere when I tested the resistance. It was hot but nothing like a long ride in the bush though where the heat really soaks into the cases. Anyway, at the rate it was deteriorating, I dont think I could have kept it going for more than another 5 minutes. Hopefully it will have obvious burn marks on it when I get to inspect it. Otherwise I'll get the hair dryer out to heat it up before I test it again.

I'd love to hear what the resistance values of a new stator are and I'll be getting the plug cap for sure. It's cheap insurance and I really hate breakdowns.

Of course, it is a 2 stroke, so all my problems will be because it's running rich [IMG]

Thanks again
  6. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    "It's cheap insurance and I really hate breakdowns."

Ditto on that :thumbsup:
  7. Tzedz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1995 WR 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    cbr 600
    Ausky Just read your above article regarding the resistance of the coil very informative. You seem to only mention one reading ,or am i right in asumming the other reading(high and low tension)is the 5 ohms at the plug cap.Also i dont suppose u know how to measure the CDI.no spark
  8. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Yes Tzedz,
    The 5 ohms is at the plug cap, the 0.9 ohm across the low tension side of the coil.
    Unfortunately I have no idea in how to check/test the CDI other than swap it out with a good one.
  9. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Finally got the new stator as well and the readings are as follows

2008 WR 125 New stator, part # - 8000 67029 will fit WR models 1995-2010

Charge coil - Yellow wire to earth - 0.5 ohms
    Trigger/pulse coil - Blue wire to black/white - 126.2 ohms

I'm pretty sure this stator is the same for all the Husky 2 stroke WR range, just different connectors & wire colours, hence the different part numbers.
    With out wires they would all be the same.
  10. robinm Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    crf 100, cb 400
    hi great info
    stuffed my spark plug cap........dont ask!
    anyway grabbed another one of an old bike and away i go
    ride around fine but if i push it a bit . no spark
    let things cool down and away i go again
    sounds like the spark plug cap had no resistor
    duh.
    so seeing as i stuffed the proper husky one. yes dont ask
    anyone in australia know which one would suit or where can i get one?
    thanks robin
  11. robinm Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    crf 100, cb 400
    sorry mine is 1993 wr360
  12. robinm Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    crf 100, cb 400