1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc WRE 125 2001 Won't Start

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Timbollew, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Timbollew Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WRE 125 2001
    Hi there guys, It's my first post and as usual I only come bringing problems.

A little background, I have a WRE 125 which I've owned since new, it was never used alot and spent most of it's time in a garage until September last year, when I started using it regularly to get back and for work. It's done 1500 miles so like I say not a lot of work at all.

About a month ago now I was riding to work, I could tell something was up with the bike power didn't seem to be there like normal and sounded a little different, like a misfire or something. Next the bike just cut out. Tried to start it no luck. After about an hour of trying to get it going and putting in a new spark plug it started with a full throttle but sounded awful, like a clanging noise from the engine.

I got the bike home removed the head and I could see a small chink of the piston had broke away from the top edge of the piston and a couple of scars from where this had obviously hit the head.

I replaced the piston kit, checked the bore and it looked fine, no marks or rub marks at all.Put it all back together kicked it and it started for a second but then died. I haven't been able to start it since. I checked the carb thinking it wasnt getting fuel but its fine. I've removed the air filter and nothing. I've checked for a spark, I think I see a spark but its hard to tell, but I did have a nasty shock from the plug so I guess it must be sparking.

I'm stumped. I'm new to bikes in terms of repairs and have been learning as I'vve gone along. I really need to get this running. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Tom.
  2. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    Did you check the reeds? Fuel and spark ...it should run. I was having issues with my 250 and found tattered reeds. Replaced them and all is well.
  3. Timbollew Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WRE 125 2001
    Thanks for the reply. Well, there's definitely a spark, I fitted a new coil today, thought it was a longshot but for £6 thought its worth ruling it out. Spark is fine. I managed to get it to turn over with a quarter throttle and choke, but then stalled out after a second or so. It sounded unhealthy when it was running.

Is it simple to get to the reeds? I had a look at them when I had the carb of but wasn't sure how to remove them.

If it is them would say just straight replace or upgrade? I seen those v force reeds?
  4. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    It may be possible that you have a problem with the ignition system. You may have spark at kicking speed but it may be weak or occuring at the wrong time at engine speed(possibly the cause of your piston failure?) Good luck!
  5. Timbollew Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WRE 125 2001
    Thanks for the reply huskybear. I know it's been ages just haven't had the time to work on the bike.

I have a feeling you may be right though with the timing, because I remember it sounded like it was off time the day it died. Any ideas on how to test it or resolve it?

Many thanks again.

Tom
  6. huskybear Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr144 with lectron carb, stuff!
    I would remove the ignition cover and make sure the flywheel is not loose. as far as testing the components, I do not have any information or specs to give you. Hopefully some-one else will chime in and help you out,good luck and let us know what you find!
  7. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    Did you check the reeds?
    huskybear and lankydoug like this.
  8. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    After digesting a chunk of piston I would at least have a look at the reeds as well.
    huskybear likes this.
  9. Timbollew Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WRE 125 2001
    Ok, there's been some developments. I took the bike to "mechanic" (he knows a fair bit about bikes but not a garage or anything). Now forgive me if I use the wrong names for any parts but it turns out the bottom end is not turning over properly. With the head off trying to move the Conrod up and down is almost impossible. So I assume the crank is jammed or bearing has gone or something. When I look down the top there are 2 copper washers either side of the Conrod the one of these feels sharp, like it's been scraping against the Conrod or something.

So good news is I'm fairly confident I've found the problem but now I'm worried about cost. I'm looking to sell the bike anyway, so obviously don't wanna fork out loads of money on it. With this kind of issue aswell I imagine you don't know how bad it is till you get in there.

Is there a chance it will have effected gearbox or do you think I'll just need a new crank and bearing? Any advice appreciated. P.S anyone know any good parts retailers in the UK?
  10. gazmcfaza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husky wre 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    , yamaha xt 125
    old post but if you're interested my wre sounded like it was grinding as it ran, it kept seizing after every ride but then would kick over again, took it to a bike garage and the guy said the stator had collapsed and jammed the bottom half of the engine. Bottom end itself was fine, though when I had the head off I found the bottom end would not turn over which I thought would be a main bearing or something, and it wasn't :D